Gibson Brands Forums

Do People Want To Do Business?

Sgt. Pepper

49 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I think you’re wasting your time.. If it takes this long to even hear from him how long do you think it will take for him to sell them? 

Check out Sales on EBay & Reverb & that will give you an idea of what they’re worth.. Try CL & meet at a Coffee Shop…

Like I posted, I put the two I'm willing to part with on Reverb last night. So far one nibble, a question about the case. I know what their worth and what they are going for, as this is not my first adventure selling gear. Me reaching out to the local shop was hopefully an attempt to not have to ship them. To me that is the biggest hassle of the whole event.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

30 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Like I posted, I put the two I'm willing to part with on Reverb last night. So far one nibble, a question about the case. I know what their worth and what they are going for, as this is not my first adventure selling gear. Me reaching out to the local shop was hopefully an attempt to not have to ship them. To me that is the biggest hassle of the whole event.

That is the main reason I’ve held back selling Guitars that I seldom or don’t play… The cost & hassle… Then Reverbs fee…

I was planning on selling some at the Guitar Show in Anaheim in June & may still do that…

7 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

That is the main reason I’ve held back selling Guitars that I seldom or don’t play… The cost & hassle… Then Reverbs fee…

I was planning on selling some at the Guitar Show in Anaheim in June & may still do that…

I hear ya, and as I get older I realize I don't need 6 acoustics. 4 would do me just fine and I could go to 3 if need be. The 12 string was a gift form my wife and will never be sold, and probably go to her son when I'm gone. My son can have one or two depending on how many I have at deaths door. The 000-28 is a keeper and the 00-18 too. The M-36 I want and the reason I'm selling, is a fabulous guitar. The 000-18 and 00-28 are up for grabs. If I sell one great, if I sell both better, if I sell neither, I'll still sleep okay at night.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

So they got back to me, and said our big book of guitar prices for a used 000-18, they might give me $1700, $1800 if really clean, if it is what I say it is. And if I want to sell it on consignment they would take 30% of what it sells for, for the honor of displaying it there. I'll bet you would. Good thing I e-mailed them, and didn't schlep my gear down there. I'd rather be insulted in an email and not waste the gas.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

It used to be that 15% was normal for consignment. My local store wants 33%. The only time that ever worked for me was when I bought out the back rooms of a pawn shop and had 30 or so cheap Strat copies that would never sell on eBay for anything more than $20-25. He cranked them out for me at $99 per, so I was delighted with $66, which was probably 3x what I had invested in them. 

I’ve sold on eBay since 1999 and watched the selling fees climb, become as confusing as federal taxes, and watch the noose tighten around the sellers neck. I haven’t listed anything for a couple weeks. The last thing I sold was an old Tascam midistudio and they took 12.9%, not only of the sale price but shipping too. When I started in ‘99, it was 5% of the first $25 and 2.5% of the portion between $25 and $1000, and 1.25% over $1000. 

I sold 2 guitars on FB marketplace. Both buyers travelled to me to collect. 

However, this morning my bandmate Paul reported that through trying to sell a £1,200 mountain bike this way had resulted in the bike being stolen. Somehow the thief discovered his address, broke into his shed, used bolt cutters on the chain and made off with it. He's sure it was because of his ad.

55 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

However, this morning my bandmate Paul reported that through trying to sell a £1,200 mountain bike this way had resulted in the bike being stolen. Somehow the thief discovered his address, broke into his shed, used bolt cutters on the chain and made off with it. He's sure it was because of his ad.

And in the news today - a $2M  Solid Gold tabernacle was stolen off the altar of a Catholic Church in NYC.   Thieves also cut the head off one of the religious statues for good measure.   

Ancient Chinese Curse:  "May you live in interesting times." 

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

It’s like on Farcebook how people think they are the most important people on Earth, and post their daily events of life, like we care. And they post, Oh by the way I’ll be out of town for the next month on vacation, so I won’t be home, why not come over and break into my house.

Curious  - what do you all do with your guitars when you go 'out of town'  ?     I have only 3 - all good ones - and I've got 3 really good places to hide each one.   On the assumption if someone breaks in, they'll try to be in and out in 5 minutes and not find them.  I leave my banjo out in the middle of my music room as 'bait'. 

32 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Curious  - what do you all do with your guitars when you go 'out of town'  ?     I have only 3 - all good ones - and I've got 3 really good places to hide each one.   On the assumption if someone breaks in, they'll try to be in and out in 5 minutes and not find them.  I leave my banjo out in the middle of my music room as 'bait'. 

All mine are in the house not hidden. You say you have 3 good ones, but as you know all mine are POS, so if someone breaks in and steals them I have insurance on them, and I'll replace them. Nothing I own is so sacred, and vintage that if stolen I couldn't get a replacement for it. It wouldn't make me happy, but life would go on. But I also don't turn on the neon sign that says "Out of town for the next 3 weeks, no one is here". If someone breaks in to my house, as long as the wife and dog and me are not harmed, take what you want, its just stuff. 

A banjo, were you the kid on the porch in Deliverance?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

Right. Let’s tell everybody what we do with them when we’re away….

Because home burglars cruise guitar forums for this kind of info.  Forget I asked....

How about an easy one...  What kind of strings do you use ? 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

All mine are in the house not hidden. You say you have 3 good ones, but as you know all mine are POS, so if someone breaks in and steals them I have insurance on them, and I'll replace them. Nothing I own is so sacred, and vintage that if stolen I couldn't get a replacement for it. It wouldn't make me happy, but life would go on. But I also don't turn on the neon sign that says "Out of town for the next 3 weeks, no one is here". If someone breaks in to my house, as long as the wife and dog and me are not harmed, take what you want, its just stuff. 

A banjo, were you the kid on the porch in Deliverance?

Agree.  Just though hiding them would make it a little harder.   Our house was broken into, maybe 18 years ago.  Stole a guitar and a banjo.  (POS ones - not hidden)/// my only good one was with me.   Only other thing they stole were the remotes.  Still can't figure that one out.  But concluded they weren't too bright and, if someone figures out somehow you're not home and breaks in, it probably wouldn't hurt to hide things if you're gonna be gone for more than  few days.  

14 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Because home burglars cruise guitar forums for this kind of info.  Forget I asked....

No criminals don’t, but how many Jim and Jane Clueless’s post every detail of their life on Farcebook and forget to set it to private? Here’s what’s my house looks like, I’ll be in Europe for the next 3 weeks, my name is, I’m a huge collector of rare Disney figurines. Or it could be like what happened to you and it was maybe a random break in. I like the D’addario XS’s. 11’s on the 00 and 000, 12’s on the Dread. Thanks for asking.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

My wife & I were away many years ago at her Sisters helping out for a few days while her Sister was in the hospital having a Baby.. That weekend someone broke in my house & stole all my Guitars, Amps, P.A., Mics, Pedals, Recording Equipment and my high quality Audio System…

No joke to me…..

Right! There are no Crooks on the Internet…..

I pay for my trusted friends which I call insurance. All my gear is insured with my homeowner’s policy. Even in the case of fire or whatever, hoping that all that cash I’ve spent to prepare for some event as such takes care of me. Unfortunately you never know until you have an issue. I will say… insurance companies are crooks. I had an issue with water damage. Took me about half a year to fight tooth and nail to get the repairs covered. They sent over engineers to write reports to save themselves money… all people give a crap about today. I mean, you give them money to hope they take care of you - that they are advertising to the world that they help people out in these situations. One thing is for sure, banks and insurance always get their money… it’s all I have as some sort of protection the way I look at it. 

18 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Because home burglars cruise guitar forums for this kind of info. 

Actually, that's not a bad idea.

I mean, if you're a crook, and you had some knowledge of guitars, you could join a forum and start casing people/places.

Figure out names and address's and such.

I'm gonna remember this if I ever become a crook.

4 hours ago, Murph said:

Actually, that's not a bad idea.

I mean, if you're a crook, and you had some knowledge of guitars, you could join a forum and start casing people/places.

Figure out names and address's and such.

I'm gonna remember this if I ever become a crook.

No… There aren’t any Crooks on the Internet.. Yeah, right…

12 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

No… There aren’t any Crooks on the Internet.. Yeah, right…

Nope not yet, its coming though, now that we put a bug in their ear.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

50 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nope not yet, its coming though, now that we put a bug in their ear.

Right..... According to SIRI roughly $6 Trillion Dollars a year are committed by Internet Criminals....

Edited by Larsongs

2 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Right..... According to SIRI roughly $6 Trillion Dollars a year are committed by Internet Criminals....

I'm just a guitar forum rule breaker. I need to get into that racket. 6 trillion.