Gibson Brands Forums

Do People Want To Do Business?

Sgt. Pepper

So I want to get a used guitar I saw on Reverb. I have two I am willing to part with to fund it. I could buy it outright, but my motto is "Sell One To Get One". Guitar Center is close, but unless I was on deaths door, and needed cash I would no way in hell ever do a deal with the Devil. There is big looking shop about 30 mins away, so I messaged them just to try to get a feeler out. I said I have these two guitars in excellent condition, and what would you give me for one, or both, just a ballpark would be fine. I also said that way, I don't drive 30 mins to show you my gear to turn around a leave wasting your time and mine. I could sell them on Reverb, but fees, insurance, taxes, and shipping nowadays is a bother. Well nothing but crickets. Okay I guess I won't be doing business with you.

50 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Is there no other outlet available for selling them?  And did you try calling that big looking shop instead of doing everything online?

Whitefang

I should. I've sold on Reverb many times, but now with taxes, fees, insurance, wondering if the shipper is gonna steal it (it happened to a member here), deliver it to the wrong house (once again happened to the same member here), or it gets dropped out of the back of the truck going down the highway, and the hassle of dealing with clowns that what to insult you for what they think its worth (happeneds to me every time I put a guitar on Reverb) is a pain. I love both of the guitars I am willing to sell, and have abso-fukin-lutly no issue keeping them. The fact is I want a guitar, but don't need one. So I'm in the drivers seat.

Around here in the North Myrtle Beach area there is Guitar Center (AKA The Devil), and this other big looking store (at least on their website it looks big), and not much else. We are talking about NMB, a place devoid of any culture. The common past time around here is driving your decked out golf cart around with your Yeti mug filled with 80 proof liquor, and chances are they have a "Let's go Brandon" flag flying from said golf cart, and possibly decals of your football team stuck all over it. If you have a dog chances are they might be in the golf cart along for the ride. Golf carts at dusk need to be parked. Its the law. Its fun to watch them scatter at dusk to make it home before the cops come out to give out tickets. Golf cart are also not allowed on the main roads, and I've seen them driving on the sidewalk and median thinking they have a loophole around that law. 

We got off topic there. I need to be in Forum Jail again. I just got out a few days ago from my last offence.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Sarge, it's a tough call.

as I'm sure you know The stores most likely going to offer you something far off base from the worth of what you got.

Reverb is getting as bad as ebay, and the scam/fraud is rampant never along with ever increasing cost of selling and IRS loop holes.

One of my very good friends just got roasted for about 650 bucks on a sale from a guy who, we're not even sure this clown even had the guitar he was listing to sell.  He spoke to this "Gentlement" several times, via email and direct phone contact,  this guy was as slippery as they come.  He talked my pal into using Family and Friends,  which was just an unfortunate decision on my friend's behalf. 

He knew knows that F&F is a way to skirt paypal charges, but he wasn't quite aware that it also drops a lot of the insurance and protections Pay Pal uses to protect sellers and buyers.

But, yea I think White Fang has at least one idea,  call them, talk to some one, and present your case

or....

drop the sell one to get one rule  and -- just do it..  (I'm the wrong guy to talk to about restraint,, I've got tons of stuff...)

Edited by kidblast

2 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Sarge, it's a tough call.

as I'm sure you know The stores most likely going to offer you something far off base from the worth of what you got.

Reverb is getting as bad as ebay, and the scam/fraud is rampant never along with ever increasing cost of selling and IRS loop holes.

One of my very good friends just got roasted for about 650 bucks on a sale from a guy who, we're not even sure this clown even had the guitar he was listing to sell.  He spoke to this "Gentlement" several times, via email and direct phone contact,  this guy was as slippery as they come.  He talked my pal into using Family and Friends,  which was just an unfortunate decision on my friend's behalf. 

He knew knows that F&F is a way to skirt paypal charges, but he wasn't quite aware that it also drops a lot of the insurance and protections Pay Pal uses to protect sellers and buyers.

But, yea I think White Fang has at least one idea,  call them, talk to some one, and present your case

or....

drop the sell one to get one rule  and -- just do it..  (I'm the wrong guy to talk to about restraint,, I've got tons of stuff...)

Yeah, that is the whole reason I e-mailed them to just get hopefully a ball park figure, so I wouldn't/won't have make the drive to get pissed at their offer. I could do it in the privacy of my own home in my undies with a glass of scotch in hands.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah, that is the whole reason I e-mailed them to just get hopefully a ball park figure, so I wouldn't/won't have make the drive to get pissed at their offer. I could do it in the privacy of my own home in my undies with a glass of scotch in hands.

When I was in retail, I wouldn't pay much attention to an email trying to sell me something.

I figured if you were serious about making a deal, you'd get up and put your pants on.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Murph said:

When I was in retail, I wouldn't pay much attention to an email trying to sell me something.

I figured if you were serious about making a deal, you'd get up and put your pants on.

I don't like pants. I'm a shorts guy. Yeah I've sold lots of guitar in lots of ways, but like I said, I got no issues keeping the gear I have. It's better than anything they have for sale on their site at the current time, and also like I said I WANT to buy and don't NEED to buy. 

I've messaged the guy selling it, and he said he has a potential buyer (we all know what that means), so it could me gone soon. At the price and condition he says its at, it should have sold. As one in the same condition just sold for about $300 more. 

Murp you left the safety of the acoustic section, are you having a mantic episode? 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

39 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Murp you left the safety of the acoustic section, are you having a mantic episode? 

I was here long before there was a "Lounge"

When they started the Lounge me and KSG standard, oilpit, California, NeoConman, and the late Homz used to have many a late night session BEFORE there was any mods. This was the wild, wild west.

I can't even remember all the others.

18 minutes ago, Murph said:

When they started the Lounge me and KSG standard, oilpit, California, NeoConman, and the late Homz used to have many a late night session BEFORE there was any mods. This was the wild, wild west.

Guns a blazin' back then. Now we got the PC Police, Cancel Culture-ers, Me Too-ers, Social Justice Warriors, and Wokies (which are different than Wookies). I love hearing stories of the old days. Like when my aunts and uncles used to tell us how it was back before us whipper snappers had it so good.

I've been here since about 2013 or so, I guess I would be considered a "Youngin"?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Murph said:

I can't remember who the original Mods were.

I do remember one guy that let the job go to his head. He went as far as to sell himself to B.B. King's folks as a Gibson rep and had scheduled an interview with B.B. It went south quick when they realized he was just a moderator for the forum.

10 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I do remember one guy that let the job go to his head. He went as far as to sell himself to B.B. King's folks as a Gibson rep and had scheduled an interview with B.B. It went south quick when they realized he was just a moderator for the forum.

Like the NE Pats. If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Golf carts....Yeti mug?

What am I missing!

:-k

Come down to North Myrtle Beach and I can give you the grand tour of idiocity. Racism, professional drunks in golf carts, people who believe the election was stolen, tourist, heat and humidity, we got it here. When your golf cart is a rental it screams tourist. Make sure you take your underage kids along so when you get too loaded they can drive back to the rental property.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Bill said:

I remember him. Can't remember his real name or username, but we spoke on the phone when we were both asked to be mods. I don't even remember when that was.... 2008? 2009? He called me, asking what we should do about this and that on the forum. I'm like, dude, I have no idea, I'm just going to try to do what they expect of me and not be Barney Fife. He didn't last long after that, as you mentioned.

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Well the shop got back to me, and it said, "Hi I'm the the owner, did my store manager get back to you about this?"

My reply was, Nope. 

So, is the owner interested in seeing your two guitars, and evaluating them for sale?

🙂

9 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

So, is the owner interested in seeing your two guitars, and evaluating them for sale?

🙂

I guess so, but that one email was my only reply from the store. No estimated price or ball park figured was sent to me. So I guess I’ll have to wait and see.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Trade offs for everything in life with this sort of thing but no matter the store I have checked out that deals with guitars, if I want to sell them an instrument, I’m getting about 50-60% what I’d get if I just sold it via some ad. Reverb of course has been getting more of a cut - and you deal with shipping (packaging ughh!) and remote sales. Selling guitars sucks for me. But this is just my perspective. Nothing here anyone doesn’t know of course but glad that shop finally checked their emails.

The one shop down the street from me does consignments and I think you give up like 15% of the sale to the shop. Not the worst thing but you negate shipping. Tradeoff here is anyone coming into the store looking can put their mitts on your guitar and ding it up just “sampling” it. 

I know you don’t like CL, but honestly I’ve made the most cash this way and never had a crazy fool pull some crap on me yet. Maybe sold 4 or so guitars (Gibsons and Fenders) this way. It’s one way to get top dollar, but again, not for everyone. Maybe you’re not interested in top dollar… obviously many people sell their guitars to places like GC just to be done with it. 

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

the store has, now get this, an AOL email address. That’s back from when Al Gore invented the internet. 

What? That's probably an old, established business.

Are you supposed to have a "modern" email address?

I still have a hotmail account.

I think you’re wasting your time.. If it takes this long to even hear from him how long do you think it will take for him to sell them? 

Check out Sales on EBay & Reverb & that will give you an idea of what they’re worth.. Try CL & meet at a Coffee Shop…

15 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Come down to North Myrtle Beach and I can give you the grand tour of idiocity. Racism, professional drunks in golf carts, people who believe the election was stolen, tourist, heat and humidity, we got it here. When your golf cart is a rental it screams tourist. Make sure you take your underage kids along so when you get too loaded they can drive back to the rental property.

Hell, got all that on one side of my family.  Except for the golf carts.  😜

Whitefang

46 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Hell, got all that on one side of my family.  Except for the golf carts.  😜

Whitefang

Well then if you’ve ever seen a golf cart, there is no need to come down here. But if you really want fun and excitement, we have this store on the Strand. Only in SC. Now the thread is gonna get nuked. Oh well.

f68rKgI.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper