Gibson Brands Forums

When you found out you had the lyrics all wrong.....

duane v

40 yrs ago I was in a band which did "Okie From Muskogee".

When the singer got bored he'd sing "I'm proud to have a bogey up muh nosey".....

[wink]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

On that old TV show "Dharma And Greg" they used to make up all kinds of mondegreens for the Greg character to suggest he misunderstood the words.  one example....

"She's a black magic woman and she's trying to take a pebble out of me!"  [wink]

Whitefang

4 hours ago, IanHenry said:

I imagine this has probably been posted before but it's pretty relevent to this thread:

Funny as F. . . 

Staple The Vicar is hilarious.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I'll have to admit a bit of silly mishearing too.

Back in the "day", when I had an old bargain basement portable stereo as my only access to sound,  on a couple of songs from Johnny winter's "Second Winter" LP I misheard, on "I Love Everybody"  when Johnny sings,  "I ain't tired, no I ain't hungry...... But I'm HORNY as I can be...."   I first thought(and for years) he was singing, "But I'm HOMELY as I can be...."   [wink]

Then when he sings,  "No I can't stay in the East man/  and I sure don't like the west/  I can't stand the North or South boys/  But I sure love all the rest..."

What I thought he was singing was....

"No I can't stay In Key Biscayne/ And I sure don't like Key West/ I can't stand eatin' off the sophomores but I/ Sure love all the rest...."  :rolleyes:

And on "Hustled Down in Texas", when he sings,  "Use me for your fool/Sign the dotted line.."  I heard,  "Use it for your fuel/Solid dynamite!..."  And couldn't make out the following line enough to misunderstand it.  :rolleyes:  [thumbup]

Whitefang

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Most people think John is saying "Shuka" in the beginning of Come Together when he says "Shoot Me"

We used to drive my mom nuts with that song. There was six of us and in unison we would all yell "SH!T" ......   

• 4 months later...

I remember my ex wife(whose name was Cindy)  admitted she at first, when hearing The Temptations sing, "Beauty's only Skin Deep".  thought they were singing, "Bring It Home To Cindy!"  [wink]

Of course, she was only 13 when that song came out and was listening to it on an old, cheap AM radio.  Which is probably the reason many of those older tunes(like "Louie, Louie") had many of their lyrics misunderstood.   Like how many of us thought The Beatles were singing, "She said you hurt her though,"  instead of "She said you hurt her so," in "She Loves You".   And, STILL many have no idea what the Hell The Kingsmen were singing in "Louie,  Louie".  

Whitefang

For many years I heard the lyric in The Edgar Winter Band's hit Free Ride as,

Come on and take a free ride (free ride)
come on and see your mama's side
Come on and take a free ride!

Of course, the middle line is
come on and sit here by my side. 

Oh well. 

😕

Going back to an ex thing.....

She had a kid brother who was always an odd kind of kid.  But the story was(and this took place before we were "steadies"),  he was riding in the family car, and his Mom was driving.  She had the radio on, and the song "Maria" fro West Side Story came on.

If you're familiar with the tune, it usually begins with the singer singing "Maria" over and over.  Like, "Maria.....Maria.....Maria. Maria, Maria, Mari----a-----"  At that point the kid asked his Mom, 

"Why does that man keep singing  DIARRHEA?"   [laugh]

Whitefang