Gibson Brands Forums

Non Gibson Delayed NUGD

Dave F

A couple years ago I took a chance on EBay and bought an old Recording King with the neck wobbling as loose as a goose. Got a good price and figured if nothing else I could sell the hardware and break even.  I was amazed when I got it, it looked like it never got played, no fret wear. Cosmetic wise I would give it a 9.5. I looked in my Regal reference book and nailed it down to a 1941 Regal Recording King sold through Montgomery Ward. 16" body,  solid carved top, spruce top, northern maple back and sides. Besides the loose neck, the only other issue was the buttons on the tuners with one missing and the metal looking dip or paint wearing off the plastic buttons. When I took off the tuner trays the tuners were the best looking, no wear Klusons I've seen from this era. I decided to get it fixed. I bought a new set of Kluson nickle tuners and put them on. I took the original set and put new buttons on them and sold them to the owner of W D Music, the American distributor for Kluson's explaining how I got them. This covered 80% of what I had into the guitar. I then dropped it off to Jamonn Zeiler who I use for everything I'm not comfortable doing, he's a great repairman-luthier, lives in Indiana. I told him no hurry, he took me literally. He caters to all the local working musicians with quick repair turn around, otherwise you wait your turn. He finished it this last week and I picked it up today. I'm blown away with the play-ability and tone, plus a big neck that is one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played. Recently I've downsized a lot and most left because of their necks. Measurement-wise I should not like this, but I do. Neck thickness at 1st - 1.024", at 10th - 1,259", nut width 1.866", 4.8 lbs. Must be the carve of the deep vee.  When Jamonn had the neck off he checked it out. No truss rod of any kind (metal, wood). The original case is in excellent condition. I put an SJ in it and it fits good. Here's some pictures

52124846328_f757aaaf9e_b.jpg52123791602_85639d71c5_b.jpg52123791577_4f54ba476b_b.jpg

52125060409_3f5779c1ba_b.jpg52123791552_b6e7898c8e_b.jpg

52124846218_6120ec0483_b.jpg

52123791532_6d433bfefd_b.jpg52123815637_6ec503468c_b.jpg

52124870748_6a6a0b21bc_b.jpg52125300828_ff78e815c5_b.jpg

52125300803_b13367cac9_b.jpg52125511884_f333756cfa_b.jpg

52123863342_264ed4c2c3_b.jpg

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1

Lawdy, that purchase certainly worked out for the better.

I have always called those "valve covers."   I believe National also used them on certain guitars.  But I once bought a Regal-made Recording King flattop featured in that same catalog precisely to get those tuners.  The guitar (which cost me $36) was itself not salvageable without spending a ton of money but the tuners being protected were in fantastic condition.  These though had brass cogs. Those tuners now adorn my 1942 J50.  

Edited by zombywoof

3 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I have always called those "valve covers."   I once bought a Regal-made Recording King flattop featured in that same catalog precisely to get those tuners.  The guitar (which cost me $36) was itself not salvageable without spending a ton of money but the tuners being protected were in fantastic condition.  These though had brass cogs. Those tuners now adorn my 1942 J50.  

I picked up a junker last year with those "valve covers". They had the Klusons with the peened cogs so I'm guessing '44-'46.

I've seen newer Waterloo Montgomery Ward Regal reissues using those covers.

https://www.waterlooguitars.com/wl-jk-deluxe/

10.jpg

13 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I picked up a junker last year with those "valve covers". They had the Klusons with the peened cogs so I'm guessing '44-'46.

I've seen newer Waterloo Montgomery Ward Regal reissues using those covers.

https://www.waterlooguitars.com/wl-jk-deluxe/

10.jpg

Harmony was going with three on a plate riveted Klusons later in 1942 (they are on my H165 Stella with an S 42 date stamp) but they generally do not start appearing on Gibsons until about one year later.

28 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Even the celluloid pickguard appears to be in near-perfect condition.

What a rare beast!

Remember that this is just about the time that the first J-45 was about to come out at a price of $45.

I love how we think these things we play and buy have these numbers with some mystical meaning,  and most times all it is is just a price they started charging for it back then. 

Board room meeting (Gibson or Martin) - So we are making a new model guitar, and we are charging $45 for it. What should we call it. I've got it a J-45. Wow you really used all of your brain on that. None of my Martin's were ever named after something cool. Just a letter and a number designation.  A Martin Velociraptor would be much cooler. It could have a little baby Raptor arm on the headstock.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I got curious and took a look inside. Fabric around the f-holes and a large single x-brace centered to the f-holes. I was also interested in where the weight was coming from. I have limitations on measuring the top thickness but for what I can measure it varied from .198" thick to .286" thick.

52127815531_967b7bc4c5_b.jpg

52126791567_1b08b22972_b.jpg

Edited by Dave F

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What is the metal for under the tuners on the back of the H/S? Is it to hang it on a bracket?

Looking at the sale ad, it looks like where they attached the guitar cord (strap) 

22 hours ago, Dave F said:

I got curious and took a look inside. Fabric around the f-holes and a large single x-brace centered to the f-holes. I was also interested in where the weight was coming from. I have limitations on measuring the top thickness but for what I can measure it varied from .198" thick to .286" thick.

52127815531_967b7bc4c5_b.jpg

52126791567_1b08b22972_b.jpg

All that fabric couldn't have helped the top resonate, you wouldn't think.

Amazing - that guitar doesn't look 7 years old leave alone 70!  We can all see that it looks fantastic, and you said the neck is comfortable for you to play, so what does it sound like?  Hopefully it sounds much better than the average $20 guitar 😜

A beauty in beautiful surroundings. I try to imagine the sound- but hear the little fountain and a few ducks instead.

Be 'appy

3 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Amazing - that guitar doesn't look 7 years old leave alone 70!  We can all see that it looks fantastic, and you said the neck is comfortable for you to play, so what does it sound like?  Hopefully it sounds much better than the average $20 guitar 😜

A very sweet maple tone that I like from a 81 year old guitar. I think it's not very loud but I haven't have someone else play it and listen at a distance or recorded it to compare to some other maple. I currently have a set of Silk and Steel on it. I have two other f-hole carved spruce top acoustic guitars with maple (L5 and Super 400) I plan on comparing the tone. My most disappointing maple f-hole was one of the recent Gibson L1 F-hole. It was very lacking on tone and sound, sounded like a $20 guitar.