Gibson Brands Forums

What Are You Watching?

Sgt. Pepper

On 6/8/2022 at 2:23 AM, merciful-evans said:

Last Night I watched Stamping Ground which was a 1970 concert in Rotterdam Netherlands. It featured:

Dr John

Family

Santana

Canned Heat

Soft Machine

The Byrds

Jefferson Airplane

Its a Beautiful Day

Tyranasaurus Rex

Al Stewart

Pink Floyd

Maybe one or two more. Lots of naked people.

One obvious thing stood out as different to more modern rock. 50 years ago every band got into a definite groove. Its almost a defining difference. 

Not watching anything.         Soft Machine, yes,  and I still have their albums. 

Edited by Hall
pardon

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Tonight I'll be watching episode 7 of season 1, or so of The Flight Attendant. Kaley Cuoco, is yummy. 

Haven't seen it yet. Kaley is a great actress though. But after I heard she made a million bucks per episode on The Big Bang Theory last couple of seasons, well it's called envy. 

We have the DVR set to "the same old crap", disgusting doctor shows like Dr. Pimple Popper, My Feet are Killing me, plus Intervention, My 600 lb Life. Those are my wife's shows. I just tag along. I tend to scan through the next few days of TCM and record some old movies. Sometimes they show some really odd stuff in the wee hours over the weekend, like John Water's Multiple Maniacs or some crappy 50s horror movies.

RFD-TV shows old country music shows quite often. Over the years they've run the Wilburn Brothers Show, Porter Wagoner, and lately it's  an early-mid 50s show about the Grand Ole Opry but they take great pains to tell you they are in no way affiliated with the Grand Ole Opry, the Ryman, Nashville in general, the state of Tennessee, any carbon based life form, living or dead, and may not even be a real tv show. Must have been a lawsuit at some point.  No lip syncing to be found. It's pretty hokey but lots of vintage instruments and Chet provides some 6120 magic on occasion.

Lately we've been watching more cop shows, like Body Cam or cold case stuff. I used to love to watch Cops but I think that got pulled. 

Wife watches rodeos  3 or 4 nights a week on RFD as keeper of The Remote.   Interesting  how different the levels of performance are. .  Some rodeos are just for high school 'kids'.  Occasionally when the rodeo is over, we get mesmerized watching a show where people dance counter clockwise on a huge dance floor to live music which is country, but sometimes includes a saxophone, etc.  Most of the dancers are septuagenarians.  Music, moves, wardrobe - like a time capsule. 

7 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Wife watches rodeos  3 or 4 nights a week on RFD as keeper of The Remote.   Interesting  how different the levels of performance are. .  Some rodeos are just for high school 'kids'.  Occasionally when the rodeo is over, we get mesmerized watching a show where people dance counter clockwise on a huge dance floor to live music which is country, but sometimes includes a saxophone, etc.  Most of the dancers are septuagenarians.  Music, moves, wardrobe - like a time capsule. 

Do you get more points or credit if you can last 9 seconds on a bull ride?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

34 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Do you get more points or credit if you can last 9 seconds on a bull ride?

Nope.  No score if you don't make it to 8 and no extra credit for longer.  Those who make it to 8 are subjectively scored then - by judges - based on how well they did compared to how tough the bull was.  Sort of like Olympic Figure skating.  If you fall down before your program is over, you lose.  If not - you're at the mercy of the judges. 

23 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I was watching a documentary about Warren Jeffs and the FLDS last night.  It's on Netflix - "Warren Jeffs: Prophet of Evil".   It's a sad sick story but well documented, worth checking out. 

I either saw that one, or one I'm sure is similar.  Centered around people who left.  The very definition of a 'cult'.   Scary if you're born into something like that. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Nope.  No score if you don't make it to 8 and no extra credit for longer.  Those who make it to 8 are subjectively scored then - by judges - based on how well they did compared to how tough the bull was.  Sort of like Olympic Figure skating.  If you fall down before your program is over, you lose.  If not - you're at the mercy of the judges. 

It should be like Little League Baseball, even the losing team gets a trophy.

4 hours ago, Pinch said:

Haven't seen it yet. Kaley is a great actress though. But after I heard she made a million bucks per episode on The Big Bang Theory last couple of seasons, well it's called envy. 

My wife used to like to watch "Charmed" every morning on TNT.  Kaley joined that cast in the later seasons before moving on to Big Bang.  My wife was into those paranormal/supernatural type shows like "Charmed", "Angel" SyFy's "Gone Girl"  and of course, "Supernatural".  She liked "Angel" because she had a crush on David Boreanaz.  I easily put up with the show because of Charisma Carpenter.  [wink]  But I haven't bothered with any of the others since she passed, and have no idea what the Winchester brothers are up to lately.

2 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

We have the DVR set to "the same old crap", disgusting doctor shows like Dr. Pimple Popper, My Feet are Killing me, plus Intervention, My 600 lb Life. Those are my wife's shows. 

Yeah, my wife too, along with those paranormal shows I mentioned up there also liked some of those what I called "freak shows".  Like "Little People" and the 600 pound life type stuff.  Shows about botched plastic surgery and the like. :rolleyes:

But those mentioned were exceptions.  As for drama or comedy shows we were on the same wavelength.  

Whitefang

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Man you guys got any real issues like, football hooligans, or drugs, or crime over there? 

Put your hands up above your head, and come out slowly, we know your watching TV in there, its tea time. 

I think advertising and commercial is how our networks get $.

Can they detect a TV if its not on?

I only just caught up with this. 

1/ TV detector vans did exist and were publicised heavily. The BBC paid for them to be driven around to anybody's address that didn't have a licence (they have a database of all licensed premises). The licence enforcement officers would knock on the door carrying a ridiculous prop and try to get the occupier to admit they were watching TV illegally. They could not detect anything. Nor can they now. You can detect transmission but not reception. The proof is simple. Nobody has ever been prosecuted on evidence provided by detection equipment.

2/ The TV licence Enforcement  Officers have no powers of entry whatsoever. They do not have police or bailiff powers, but they would like you to believe they do. Their Operational Procedures Policy direct that they should leave when asked to and be respectful at all times. The one that visited me didnt know his job. I refused him entry and told him to leave. They are incentivised to sell TV licences and get people to admit guilt and they receive commission for this.

3/ The BBC say its use of detection equipment is used IAW Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000. This is ridiculous because the act is used only in the interests of national security. It outlines the use of a warrant to permit the likes of wire tapping, vehicle bugging etc. Such a warrant is typically granted by the Home Secretary and a Judicial Commissioner. It can only be applied for by Military Police, Border Force, MI6 etc. 

4/ You only need a TV licence if you watch/record broadcast TV (so get rid of the aerial) or use BBC iPlayer. Everything they publish on the matter is obfuscation, misdirection and general smoke & mirrors. 

5/ The BBC get £3.2 billion per year from licences and are complaining that they are broke and so cant maintain their services. 

• Thanks 1

Cherry and I ended up watching a Sharpe ('Sharpe's Justice').on DVD. These are at least 20 years old. I don't know if they ever crossed the pond. Sean Bean played Sharpe, a soldier in the Napoleonic war. Sort of a 'Boys Own Paper' adventure series based on the Bernard Cornwall books.

th?id=OIP.uGPyFpTX25fnUABdoXduAAHaLT%26p

Well, Friday marked the 66th year of my watching THE WIZARD OF OZ annually on television.  TCM broadcast it that evening.

I was 5 when it first appeared on television in 1956 and watched it every year(for many years it was an annual television "event")  and with the advent of home video cassette players and the sale of video cassettes of movies I was able to obtain my own copy of the movie and watch it even more than once a year.  But, being in some ways a "traditionalist", I did limit my viewings to once a year, either watching my copy og the movie, or if perchance some TV channel scheduled it. 

No doubt high on my list of "favorite" movies, with young Judy Garland singing IMHO the finest recorded version of "Over The Rainbow".  I accept NO other versions.

(sniff!)

Whitefang