Gibson Brands Forums

What Are You Watching?

Sgt. Pepper

I'm not a big TV junkie, as I mostly stick to Roc Docs. I just started one about Ella Fitzgerald and two others I can't remember, maybe one about Sam Cooke. With my wife I watch Jeopardy most nights, and my wife loves Survivor and Big Brother. I watch with her to make fun of the idiots on the show. We have been watching Ted Lasso, and we are in season two, and The Flight Attendant, and we are in Season one. Ted is funny and I hear next season may be the last, The F A started out great, but now is getting hokie. My brother is a huge Star Wars nut and said Obi-Wan is garbage just like Bambo Flarf or is it Bozo Fluff, anyway the one about the sensitive bounty hunter.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

I just finished binge watching "Ozark" with my niece. We just started "Outer Range". If it wasn't for my niece, I'd be watching 90% less TV.

My wife watched that. I glanced at it a few times. I like Justin Bateman as an actor (he was good in Horrible Bosses with my girl Jennifer A.). Has he slapped anyone, if he has then I don't like him anymore. His sister was hot back in the day, maybe she still is.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

My wife and I have been watching "Based on true events" stories, mostly mini series and mostly lately about nut jobs that killed someone, like Candy (Candace Montgomery), Something about Pam (Pam Hupp-I knew nothing about her story), Under the Banner of Heaven about LDS and FLDS and Jeffery MacDonald,  the army doctor who murdered his family at Fort Bragg and got away with it for years.

Better Call Saul and will be watching the final season of Peaky Blinders when it airs on Netflix this Friday.  Also, quite a few Netflix documentaries.  And of course, the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs.

3 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Better Call Saul and will be watching the final season of Peaky Blinders when it airs on Netflix this Friday.  Also, quite a few Netflix documentaries.  And of course, the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs.

I have no clue is in the Cup Final or the NBA playoffs. Just watched 2 Ted Lasso epi's. That was the extent of my TV today. 

Last Night I watched Stamping Ground which was a 1970 concert in Rotterdam Netherlands. It featured:

Dr John

Family

Santana

Canned Heat

Soft Machine

The Byrds

Jefferson Airplane

Its a Beautiful Day

Tyranasaurus Rex

Al Stewart

Pink Floyd

Maybe one or two more. Lots of naked people.

One obvious thing stood out as different to more modern rock. 50 years ago every band got into a definite groove. Its almost a defining difference. 

Edited by merciful-evans

I may watch the Nina Simone one next, but not tonight. I'll be with Cherry so we'll watch a film (drama / action) of some sort. 

I've been watching the 5th season of 'Better Call Saul'. 'Archer' has also been pretty good & funny.

I've tried 'Safehouse' too. Not bad.

This old fart spends a lot of TV time looking into a lot of "retro" TV.    And depending on what's scheduled, a lot of Turner Classic Movies channel.  Bouncing around from MeTV, to AntennaTV, to INSP(for old westerns) , Bzzr.(old game shows)  and PBS.  Nothing new on the big three or other cable channels seem interesting to me.  And I'm not into the "streaming" thing either.  And if there's absolutely nothing on any of those channels I have a well stocked library of DVDs and old VHS tapes of many of my favorite movies.  Commercial free and uncensored.  [wink]

Whitefang

I'm not allowed to watch broadcast TV because I gave up my TV Licence. Yes the BBC has a 80 year old funding system that made sense up until 1955. It not just the BBC we cant watch, its any broadcast TV. 

So I have to use streaming services. YouTube & Netflix are what I usually use.

Showtime's "Man Who Fell to Earth".  Book was written back in the 50s or 60s, then David Bowie starred in a movie version in the late 70s.  I am usually not a science fiction fan, but this story supposedly takes place forty years later.  In the most recent episode they figured out that the key to their power source for a ship to take water back to a dying planet was sound waves from jazz improvisation.

7 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Showtime's "Man Who Fell to Earth".  Book was written back in the 50s or 60s, then David Bowie starred in a movie version in the late 70s.  I am usually not a science fiction fan, but this story supposedly takes place forty years later.  In the most recent episode they figured out that the key to their power source for a ship to take water back to a dying planet was sound waves from jazz improvisation.

A guy at work watched it and he did not like it. I tried watching the original ages ago and couldn't make it past about 15 mins.

11 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Last Night I watched Stamping Ground which was a 1970 concert in Rotterdam Netherlands. It featured:

Dr John

Family

Santana

Canned Heat

Soft Machine

The Byrds

Jefferson Airplane

Its a Beautiful Day

Tyranasaurus Rex

Al Stewart

Pink Floyd

Maybe one or two more. Lots of naked people.

One obvious thing stood out as different to more modern rock. 50 years ago every band got into a definite groove. Its almost a defining difference. 

That is some line up.

I started watching We Own This City on my sons HBO Max then he canceled his subscription before I could finish. It's pretty dark anyway. By the same people who did The Wire. This one is based on all real people and events though. Set in Baltimore after the Freddie Gray riots and detailing police corruption in the Gun Trace Task Force.  I'm sure I'll eventually catch the whole thing.

On 6/7/2022 at 4:23 PM, tx-ogre said:

It’s been so long I’m going to re-watch all of Peaky Blinders.. Then the new Season.. I watch Docs on History Channel. As well as all things Music related.. I just re-watched Concert for George & a Roy Orbison Documentary.. I’ve never watched Across The Universe & am watching it now.. A little corny in the story line but the music is really well done so far..

I wish someone would come up with a TV Series about Guitars & Amps. I’d love to be a part of a Show like that.. It’s a Series that could be literally endless!

23 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I'm not allowed to watch broadcast TV because I gave up my TV Licence. Yes the BBC has a 80 year old funding system that made sense up until 1955. It not just the BBC we cant watch, its any broadcast TV. 

So I have to use streaming services. YouTube & Netflix are what I usually use.

Do you mean to say that in the UK one needs to have a LICENSE to watch television?  Like one needs a license to legally drive a car?  How does that work?

And how would it be enforced?  Like here, if you're driving too fast and get pulled over by a cop, he'll ask to see your license and will notice it's expired or otherwise not valid.  HOW would it be known you're watching television without a license?  

Whitefang

15 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

Don't the Brits have better things to do than policing TV? Is like 1984, not the year, the book, and then a movie. If you went back in time and told people we would actually invent lasers and phones with no wires, they may stone you.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Yes you still need a TV licence over here - it (partly) pays for the BBC.

I don't think they actually use TV detector vans now, they are more likely to visit you (and you legally have to let them in to look around). 

I don't have a TV so no licence either. 

14 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Yes you still need a TV licence over here - it (partly) pays for the BBC.

I don't think they actually use TV detector vans now, they are more likely to visit you (and you legally have to let them in to look around). 

I don't have a TV so no licence either. 

You have to let someone in your house because they say so.  What kind of totalitarian state is that place over there. Cops over here need warrant or probable cause to come in your house, not just we think you have a marijuana joint in there we're busting down door.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You have to let someone in your house because they say so.  What kind of totalitarian state is that place over there. Cops over here need warrant or probable cause to come in your house, not just we think you have a marijuana joint in there.

Sorry I gave wrong info there - what I mean is, if they knock on the door and ask to come in it's just easier to let them in if you have no TV.   If you have a TV and don't let them in they will come back with detectors to prove you have it, issue a fine and get a warrant for the cops to seize the TV.  

The licence fee is under discussion as it's a very outmoded way of paying for the BBC. 

Edited by jdgm

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Sorry I gave wrong info there - what I mean is, if they knock on the door and ask to come in it's just easier to let them in if you have no TV.   If you have a TV and don't let them in they will come back with detectors to prove you have it, issue a fine and get a warrant for the cops to seize the TV.  

The licence fee is under discussion as it's a very outmoded way of paying for the BBC. 

Man you guys got any real issues like, football hooligans, or drugs, or crime over there? 

Put your hands up above your head, and come out slowly, we know your watching TV in there, its tea time. 

I think advertising and commercial is how our networks get $.

Can they detect a TV if its not on?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper