Gibson Brands Forums

New Build Day.. Spalted London Plane DC

Rabs

1 minute ago, 'Scales said:

This new one should look spectacular if you nail it. [thumbup]

i’m going to go ahead, unsolicited, and vote for a (first ever?) sunburst paint job on a Rabswood for that one.

This one is the closest I have come to a burst.. But really the whole point of using wood this pretty is they dont need any colour. Nature does that for us  🙂

sRUuSVM.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 'Scales said:

What were/are Gibson thinking of with all those +++++ top LPs? [laugh]

Well maple by itself is a bit boring and pale..  So actually in that case it does work. But for burr wood and lace wood I think natural is best as they have so much colour and character of their own.

Edited by Rabs

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Now that you mention it, I don't know how 'bursts are made.

You can use stains to

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 2

Rabs - thé piece is spectacular.  It looks like what we call 'flame' usually on maple. But this takes it to a whole new level.  Finished guitar should bee hanging in an art museum, not a guitarists 'music room' !!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Rabs - thé piece is spectacular.  It looks like what we call 'flame' usually on maple. But this takes it to a whole new level.  Finished guitar should bee hanging in an art museum, not a guitarists 'music room' !!!

Oh yeah, im fully aware of how thats going to look 🙂 

I think I have mentioned before I worked at a wood shop for a few years were we mill and dry and sell wood and make things for people.. So I have seen more than most. At one point I was concentrating on making bookmatched guitar tops. We also had quite a lot of flamed stuff before. Check this flamed beech for amazing

kJUXEeN.jpg

f1wKVSH.jpg

More beech

72zXIOd.jpg

And that burry plane.. Will finish like this

N0kwq14.jpg

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, duane v said:

RABS

what type of sealer do you recommend for mahogany before staining and clear coats.

Honestly, while you would think this is something I would know, most of my guitars were finished with oil and are natural finish. And with oil, well the oil is your sealer so you dont need it. So I have no experience with it at all. I havent even used any grain filler as I like the feel of the wood grain as such. I was planning on doing all of than when I do my LP Custom Lite replica. But that will be the first time. I was also told that with solid colours its best not to use a sealer (edit,sorry that was primer) as it can effect the colour with bleed through. 

So yeah. Sorry. Dont know that one.

Edited by Rabs

RABS

what type of sealer do you recommend for mahogany before staining and clear coats.

Actually I can do a little better than that. 

This guy has loads of vids where he is staining tops.. Hes REALLY good..  He uses Mohawk sealer

RABS

On top of that, the guy that I get my finishing advice from actually makes his own nitro (and I think he sells it to Gibson Europe)..  So hes quite a good source. On his site he has a cellulose sealer. 

Cellulose Sanding Sealer Aerosol – Manchester Guitar Tech

On 5/22/2024 at 11:49 AM, Rabs said:

Oh yeah, im fully aware of how thats going to look 🙂 

I think I have mentioned before I worked at a wood shop for a few years were we mill and dry and sell wood and make things for people.. So I have seen more than most. At one point I was concentrating on making bookmatched guitar tops. We also had quite a lot of flamed stuff before. Check this flamed beech for amazing

kJUXEeN.jpg

f1wKVSH.jpg

More beech

72zXIOd.jpg

And that burry plane.. Will finish like this

N0kwq14.jpg

is this gong to be your shroud of Turin guitar ?

Just now, Karloff said:

is this gong to be your shroud of Turin guitar ?

Lol... Nah, I sold that to someone else ages ago. Never saw what he did with it though. As I said, this was actually part of my job for a while, To take pieces and sell them by making guitar tops or body blanks or whatever. And yes I did very much enjoy that part of it 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 9:44 PM, Rabs said:

This one is the closest I have come to a burst.. But really the whole point of using wood this pretty is they dont need any colour. Nature does that for us  🙂

sRUuSVM.jpg

Absolutely beautiful.

Congratulations!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jdgm said:

Absolutely beautiful.

Congratulations!

This was years ago now and one of the ones you demoed for me  🙂  (wow, it says I uploaded this 7 years ago and probably made it 8 years ago 😮 ). Nearer the end when the overdrive comes on the tone is awesome.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

Man what is it with me and these builds. Just when I think I am back something else happens.

This issue with my shoulder still hasnt got better enough yet. I tried to do some arm curls with some lightish weights on Monday and the next day the pain was worse so I am gonna give it more time before I stress the joint out.

Frikken typical.. I was so up for getting on with these builds but dont want to prolong my shoulder issue. I mean if I was actually building this for someone it would be different but they get done when they get done. Hopefully by next week I can move forward again.

Hurrumph!!!!!

4 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Cortisone, my friend. [thumbup]

I have been taking it really easy but I think the main issue is that I am a side sleeper and am used to sleeping on the side that is hurt. But even if I start off on the other side I roll over in my sleep (it may even be the reason this happened, to much sleeping on one side?).  Blimmin pain it is.. 

On 5/30/2024 at 11:00 PM, Rabs said:

I have been taking it really easy but I think the main issue is that I am a side sleeper and am used to sleeping on the side that is hurt. But even if I start off on the other side I roll over in my sleep (it may even be the reason this happened, to much sleeping on one side?).  Blimmin pain it is.. 

I have exactly the same problem at the moment with exactly the same cause. 

It even hurts to garden. Just as well I don't build guitars. 

11 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I have exactly the same problem at the moment with exactly the same cause. 

It even hurts to garden. Just as well I don't build guitars. 

I know. Its been two weeks now. Its absolutely better than it was but still a way to go.... This bloody growing old thing sucks... 😄