Gibson Brands Forums

Would you buy this LP special considering the neck repair?

rudderless

Nope. I wouldn’t be interested. Maybe because I don’t know how it was repaired, maybe because seller is asking too much for it, maybe because I’d just find something else because there are thousands of used guitars for sale that don’t have headstock breaks for good prices… If it doesn’t feel right, save your cash and find something better.

If it’s yours and trying to get a feeler if others would like it, price needs to be drastically reduced from what a similar model goes for. I would find it hard to want to buy a guitar knowing it has that going on. 

15 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Nope. I wouldn’t be interested. Maybe because I don’t know how it was repaired, maybe because seller is asking too much for it, maybe because I’d just find something else because there are thousands of used guitars for sale that don’t have headstock breaks for good prices… If it doesn’t feel right, save your cash and find something better.

If it’s yours and trying to get a feeler if others would like it, price needs to be drastically reduced from what a similar model goes for. I would find it hard to want to buy a guitar knowing it has that going on. 

Yea I found it on local listings and was interested in buying it because it's quite a bit cheaper than a new LP special, and basically brand new apart from the neck repair. I know Gibson's are notorious for neck/headstock breaks so I thought with it already being repaired, it may actually end up being a bit more reinforced. Was more just curious if anyone on here would be able to tell how good the repair job is based off the picture provided

3 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Could have touched up the cosmetics too. 

Seller said he left it unpainted to show buyers the repair job. Not too bothered about it and I could always get it repainted, just curious if the repair is well done or if I should steer clear

You will have to take the seller’s word how it was repaired. He might have had to take the word of the other guy who actually stuck whatever they did into the crack to make it “repaired”. Was it epoxy, wood glue… won’t know unless you break it again. Just don’t want it to separate again on you unbeknownst. I just don’t mess with broken guitars. They are a stigma to me. 

2 hours ago, rudderless said:

Seller said he left it unpainted to show buyers the repair job. Not too bothered about it and I could always get it repainted, just curious if the repair is well done or if I should steer clear

Oh, okay. That's fair. 

But it's impossible to say really, like Chris said. I see nothing in particular that alarms me in that pic, looks like every other headstock repair. But since all I have to go on is a pic and the seller's word... Nothing against whoever is selling, but I doubt I'd buy a git with a repaired headstock unless it was from a very reputable dealership. 

I'm starting a grassroots group fighting headstock repair prejudice. I'll call it "How would YOU feel if your head came off and everyone shunned you?". 

We won't rest until "headstock repair" is replaced with "Tite-Bondable". 

It mostly depends on the price, and how badly you want this.

The break usually knocks 50% of the average selling price.  If you do the math, and that's not the case here, then you should walk if they are not willing to work the price down to what's fair.

the repair looks solid, but the cosmetics are kind of rough..

if you do decide the price is right and buy it,  I'd think about my resale after if I decided to move it.

24 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I love buying other peoples broken stuff they don’t want . . .

Pass.

Question, how many guitars out there are for sale, are not broken?

But this one is that special 9/1000inch extra wide nut at 1.698 wide and that rare only 3 in that color with a serial number on my birthday 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I just thought of the Gibson/Steinberger headless guitar thread. Maybe Gibson see that as a solution. 

Well, why people just point out Gibson's are like the only guitars that will ever do this is always a mystery to me.

Any guitar from any manufacture with that same style 45 degree slant back head stock is prone to snapping on impact.

The headstock break knows no boundries.  Don't DROP em,, that's the thing!

Edited by kidblast

On 6/21/2022 at 8:42 PM, kidblast said:

Well, why people just point out Gibson's are like the only guitars that will ever do this is always a mystery to me.

Any guitar from any manufacture with that same style 45 degree slant back head stock is prone to snapping on impact.

The headstock break knows no boundries.  Don't DROP em,, that's the thing!

I always thought "GIBSON - Ask us about our headstock breaks" would make for a snappier PR phrase than "iconic"