Gibson Brands Forums

Any King Crimson Fans Out There?

Sgt. Pepper

Looks like October will be the month the KC documentary will be out. And if no one takes out Putin, Robert may have to eat his words.

Saw them twice with the Fripp, Belew, Levin, Bruford lineup.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/king-crimson-movie-robert-fripp-tour-1381527/

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

I appreciate their talent. Most of their music isn't what I'd listen to though. 

A little funny. One of the few comments I've ever made on a YouTube video that got any real reaction, was when I made a sarcastic remark about Lark's Tongues being a catchy tune that will be stuck in my head all day. That was years ago, and I still get notices of Replies to that comment.  [biggrin]

We dodged a bullet!!!

“It will be telling the story of the ‘Sunday Lunch’ while also rocking out on the classic hits,” Fripp says. “I’m getting the opportunity to play lots of great rock riffs I was never able to play in King Crimson.” But thanks to the high cost of touring and work visas, the tour will be limited to the U.K.

Really only familiar with the eponymous first LP.  I know since then a few members have moved on to other bands, and a few came in from other bands. 

Just based on that familiarity I'd say I thought they were a good band.  Can't say though that I was ever a "fan".

Whitefang

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

Oh okay. Well I like the Voivod cover version. Maybe I should check out the original(s).

Didn't the vocalist wear a weird mask?

not sure I recall that specifically  maybe,,  I seem to recall at some time, Peter Gabriel was doing similar shenanigans w/Genisis before he departed

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

not sure I recall that specifically  maybe,,  I seem to recall at some time, Peter Gabriel was doing similar shenanigans w/Genisis before he departed

Wasn’t one of a flower he wore on his head and around his neck? 
The bravest Phil Collins got was a grubby beard.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I listened to a couple of new (to me) Robert Fripp/King Crimson albums last night.

Vroom CD: seems to be out takes from Thrak, meh.

Bewitched with Andy Summers: some really interesting stuff on it but I don't think I'll listen to it very often.  Has that 80s drum sound to it as well.

Let The Power Fall: Fripptronics stuff which doesn't ever actually go anywhere.  It's like he needed Brian Eno to push him in a direction with the material as in there's your background music, now you play the solo over it.

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I listened to a couple of new (to me) Robert Fripp/King Crimson albums last night.

Vroom CD: seems to be out takes from Thrak, meh.

Bewitched with Andy Summers: some really interesting stuff on it but I don't think I'll listen to it very often.  Has that 80s drum sound to it as well.

Let The Power Fall: Fripptronics stuff which doesn't ever actually go anywhere.  It's like he needed Brian Eno to push him in a direction with the material as in there's your background music, now you play the solo over it.

I have my original  Let The Power Fall on vinyl. I can take about 2 mins of Frippertronics and I’ve had enough. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 4:53 PM, Pinch said:

Oh okay. Well I like the Voivod cover version. Maybe I should check out the original(s).

Didn't the vocalist wear a weird mask?

You know April Wine covered 21st Century Schizoid Man on their album Harder . . .  Faster. April Wine. The same band that did Just Between You And Me. Nature Of The Beast was a good album.