Gibson Brands Forums

Authenticity of Gibsons

Jason H

8 hours ago, jdgm said:

3 pics of the LP in question.

Red flags - TRC says LP Custom and it's NOT.   No nibs as far as I can see.

Experts?

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Just wanna say a big Thankyou judgment. Although not a great outcome, your help is greatly appreciated. Ahhh well, will make an alright piece of wall art lol

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

Sadly that's definitely a fake. I was fairly certain from the serial alone, which a quick Google told me was a regular appearance on fakes, but the pics confirm it. 

Sorry dude, not only coz you got ripped off but also for the idiotic guy analysing your body language from written communication. The forum is gate kept by 3 or 4 people who hijack every thread and have the same inane conversations regardless of where the thread started. They also like to attack any newcomers. 

Just wanna say Thankyou very much for yours and everybody’s help identifying her. There are some good people out there. Ah well, good looking piece of wall art lol. Just in relation to the value, how could I find that out. It’s only so I know what I’ve overpaid.

cheers

Jason H...  I don't know how long you've had it, or how honest the pawn shop is ...  but you might try returning it if you paid a Gibson price for a counterfeit.   If they did not tell you it could be a fake - the implication is it wasn't. Like a Rolex -  you can't really tell until you get an expert to look at it.   When the Romans coined the warning  "Caveat Emptor"  - they didn't have to deal with knockoffs from China!  G'luck! 

As far as  the negative comments -  equal numbers on both sides.   As Sgt.Pepper said - it is what keeps this place from being deadly boring.  Yeah, sometimes some of us here, now and then,  fire off    One Line, Snarky Comments...  most of us occasionally get in that funk now and then and let it show.  

We all have different takes on edgy comments -   I saw nothing wrong with GhostFLA's  response to the OP's  query which had No Useful Information.      This is, after all, Social Media - not  Miss Abagail's Finishing School For Young Ladies.  

I'd certainly go back to the pawn shop and hassle them until they at least offer you some money back!

If they ask why you think it's fake, you can truthfully tell them you have sent pics to experts, who say -

Serial no faked (probably best to do the google search Farnsbarns refers to above), and serial no font and colour are not what Gibson uses.

Les Paul Custom on truss rod cover - guitar is not a LP Custom, which would have body binding and a much darker fretboard made from ebony or richlite.

No makers name on machine head covers.  Fretboard inlays are plastic, not what Gibson uses on LPs like this.

No 'nibs' (the white binding on each side of the neck should cover the fret ends).

Guitar headstock is too long above machine heads where Gibson logo is.

I also don't think a reissue (RI for short) would have that colour body finish at all. 

There would be more if we could see more detailed pics but the above should be enough.

Best wishes anyway and good luck!

Edited by jdgm

I think it would be the first pawn shop with any sort of return or satisfaction policy in the history of ever.  That used to be what pawn shops were for, unloading hot stuff and stuff of sketchy origin, so it isn't much of a surprise really.

rct

Believe it or not we are just beginning to have pawn shops in NJ.  Lots of regulation and stuff, so they haven't really ever flourished at all.  Still aren't, but they are starting to appear here and there.  "Check Cashing" and "Payroll Loan" type places.  lolz

rct

14 hours ago, rct said:

Believe it or not we are just beginning to have pawn shops in NJ.  Lots of regulation and stuff, so they haven't really ever flourished at all.  Still aren't, but they are starting to appear here and there.  "Check Cashing" and "Payroll Loan" type places.  lolz

rct

We have a few of these here in town, they tend to come and go, new ones open, the existing ones close

One wonders if the characters running the ones closing are the same ones opening the new ones.

There was a legit pawnshop at one time and it ran for quite a few years. 

The guy that ran it was mostly a straight shooter, but he was in it to win it, so you needed  to be well educated with any transaction.  He'd deal ya as straight as any if you knew what you were doing,  but he'd also take you to the cleaners if you were a noob.

back to the OP

Sad news that this is not authentic but,  ya live and ya learn.  The next time, you'll know better.

Ask questions before  you count out the bills.

Edited by kidblast

For sure it would suck to be taken on this. When I started to get interested in LPs, I bought new from reputable store and along the way, talking with the fine folks here in this forum - and learning a bit about what a fake looks like out of pure interest - I can spot a fake really good. They’re out there… That’s all I can say, so before spending the big bucks for a total POS, do your homework. Those fakes are NOTHING like the way a Gibson should be - like ‘em or love ‘em. 

On 7/27/2022 at 10:51 AM, ghost_of_fl said:

Talk about a phoney!  You got too many probs your own self to be the clinician around here, Doc.

Lemme post up a few links on how to beware of nincompoops.

Edited by badbluesplayer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, bigeyessmith said:

Hi - I need help determining if this is a fake Hummingbird.  
2019 Hummingbirs Studio

Serial 23482070

Well, if it was sold to you as a 2019, you got a problem right here.  But you need to call Gibson to verify serial numbers.  To make any other judgements, we’d need pictures.  Fakers can put legit serial numbers on a bogus ones, but last I checked 2022 was pretty late for 2019, rueful smile.  Use Imgur to upload.  

Edited by PrairieDog