Gibson Brands Forums

Obscure Rockabilly Gem

jdgm

This is GREAT!

"About April 1958, a one-off single appeared on the Sunset label out of Tannersville, Virginia - the sole release by that imprint - both sides of which are so ridiculously good that it seems unthinkable that those responsible never did anything else in the music business. Perhaps they changed their names. Perhaps they died. Whatever the story, that lone 45, ‘Wore To A Frazzel’/ ‘Sunset Blues’, by Tony and Jackie Lamie with the Swing Kings, beats the output of many well-rewarded 1950s chart artists absolutely hollow. Lyrically and musically it’s got what the trade papers called that ‘back shack’ sound, and the band rattle along like an express train running on hill-country hooch. We know that Tony Lamie sings the vocal, and one or the other of the Lamies wrote the songs, because it says so right there on the label. Starday issued it as part of a custom deal, but that’s about all that can be said, except that it sounds like the work of people who knew exactly what they were doing, and had a hell of a fine time in the studio doing it." :~ Billboard

I'd never - ever - heard of Tony & Jackie Lamie before  I acquired "Ultra-Rare Rockabillies Vol 8".

It's the B-side...it has that 'on the edge-of-breaking down' quality but it really rocks.  Excellent playing - the steel or lap steel(?)  is right on  - and amazing vocals!

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• jdgm changed the title to Obscure Rockabilly Gem
18 hours ago, jdgm said:

This is GREAT!

"About April 1958, a one-off single appeared on the Sunset label out of Tannersville, Virginia - the sole release by that imprint - both sides of which are so ridiculously good that it seems unthinkable that those responsible never did anything else in the music business. Perhaps they changed their names. Perhaps they died. Whatever the story, that lone 45, ‘Wore To A Frazzel’/ ‘Sunset Blues’, by Tony and Jackie Lamie with the Swing Kings, beats the output of many well-rewarded 1950s chart artists absolutely hollow. Lyrically and musically it’s got what the trade papers called that ‘back shack’ sound, and the band rattle along like an express train running on hill-country hooch. We know that Tony Lamie sings the vocal, and one or the other of the Lamies wrote the songs, because it says so right there on the label. Starday issued it as part of a custom deal, but that’s about all that can be said, except that it sounds like the work of people who knew exactly what they were doing, and had a hell of a fine time in the studio doing it." :~ Billboard

I'd never - ever - heard of Tony & Jackie Lamie before  I acquired "Ultra-Rare Rockabillies Vol 8".

It's the B-side...it has that 'on the edge-of-breaking down' quality but it really rocks.  Excellent playing - the steel or lap steel(?)  is right on  - and amazing vocals!

Actually to me it sounded more Texas Swing and country than rockabilly.   But a fun tune regardless.  But I suppose like other genres rockabilly has different sounds when played in different regions.  You know, from Chicago blues, to Delta blues Texas blues, St. Louis blues, etc.  And typically, when I think of rockabilly I think of too much tremolo on the guitar and vocals with way too much reverb. 

And Brad1?   Lamie's singing reminds me more of Jimmie Rogers than Hank.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

After listening to 'Hell Train',   I saw on the Utube suggestions -  Jimmy Strange produced a good volume of work, albums, 12 string, etc.    Funny how many Great Guitarists there are and were who never make it to the level of being 'popular'.  Like a Rascal Flats or  a Florida Georgia Line.   

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

After listening to 'Hell Train',   I saw on the Utube suggestions -  Jimmy Strange produced a good volume of work, albums, 12 string, etc.    Funny how many Great Guitarists there are and were who never make it to the level of being 'popular'.  Like a Rascal Flats or  a Florida Georgia Line.   

Billy started out playing what we would consider rockabilly in the early fifties, but through the years he embraced every rock/pop style including surf.   In the 60s he became partners with Mac Davis and co-wrote many of Mac's hits, mainly as an arranger. In the Getto was one of those hits.  

But he actually had his own orchestra for many years made up of players from The Wreaking Crew,. The Billy Strange Orchestra they toured with Frank Sinatra in the late 50s and throughout the 70s, Frank personally picked Billy to be Nancy's producer and they became a formidable team with One Fine Morning,  These Boots are made for Walking, and Bang Bang (which became Chef's big hit.)  He also recorded with Nat King Cole, listen to Rambling Rose, that was his arrangement and his orchestra playing on Cole's release . 

He was as you put it so well one of the obscure artist that was an intrigal part of the music scene,  an insider. He was also the house guitarist for the LA tv show Hollywood  Go Go .

• Thanks 1

I also found this -

'Thumper' Jones was (apparently) none other than George Jones himself, and the off-the-wall guitar is someone called Hal Harris who (again) I never heard of, being in the UK.

I don't think this tune is as good or inspired as the Tony Lamie one, but it's still cool because of the guitar solos.

[cool]

• Like 1