Gibson Brands Forums

Phone App Tuner ?

Murph

I like "backups" in case of emergencies.

I had the Piascore tuner app on my phone for quite a while. It became slow, and was getting a little too "nosey" so I deleted it the other day. 

I have a Peterson clip on, and a Snark welded together with JB Weld, and a Fishman clip on, and an ancient Boss but hey, you know, starting to gig a little since retirement, and hey, you can never have too many backup tuners eh?

I thought there was a Peterson app, but ain't seeing it.

I'd rather pay a few bucks for an app, than to get a free one and be tracked all over, listened to and have to wait for ads.

What ya got?

Yes, good to have back ups. And the phone app makes it less likely that you’ll leave the guitar store with YOUR tuner still attached to a guitar. But I’m still trying to get the image of a Peterson gooed to a Snark out of my head.

I’ve got the Martin app and the Fender tuner app… I guess they’re pretty much the same, but the Martin one is nicer looking (rosewood).

I used to use phone/app tuners and stopped years ago because everyone I would try, seemed to always be off compared to the tuners ( Snark, Korg and in-line)I had in hand. However, if a battery went dead or broke a phone app tuner was better than nothing. I forgot the names of the apps though. However, technology may have advanced more since then. I was using  Samsung cell phones.

8 minutes ago, Murph said:

I found it.

IStroboSoft.

I've been using this one for years. I've tried a bunch of others but keep coming back to this one. I wish it would let you save your own "sweetened" tunings - they try to upsell you on canned ones as add-ons if you want. I just like to tinker from time to time and being able to make tuning profiles would be cool. I talked to them and they said that feature is going to be coming in a future release (that was 2 years ago).

2 hours ago, jchabalk said:

I've been using this one for years. I've tried a bunch of others but keep coming back to this one.

Man, I see why.

This is SO much better than the app I deleted.

It's in sync with my Peterson (Strobo) clip on, perfectly also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

I use Gibson’s app’s tuner but at home sometimes, not during gigs.

I have multiple other tuners, (like I mentioned) however this is more for an "emergency" situation, when something is dropped, broken, dead battery, stolen, etc.

And it's KILLER.

Don't need, have or use tuner apps.

My phone has been set up to be just a phone, and is never even turned on when I 'm in the house, so I tune with a Snark.

And since my only audience are the cats (who have front row seats in the empty case), and since I play alone, if there was a dead-battery emergency(!!!???), tuning by relative pitch would be good enough.

RBSinTo

1 hour ago, Jinder said:

I have a Boss tuner app on my phone which is accurate and handy…I like the sound of a Peterson one though, I loved the Strobostomp units I owned in the past!

This thing is so smooth, it's a real pleasure to use.

And it's accurate with the Stroboclip. 

With free apps, YOU are the product and that's the problem I was having with my prior tuner. It was getting too nosey and slow, waiting on ads, etc.

$ 9.99 is a steal for a strobe tuner in your pocket!

6 hours ago, Murph said:

This thing is so smooth, it's a real pleasure to use.

If you want to change the look of it you can upgrade (buy) their other visualization options. After using it for several years i got them and they're kind of cool. Doesn't change the functionality in any notable way though.