Gibson Brands Forums

Had An Interesting Night

zombywoof

I played out last night.  A great mix of folks including a harp, mandolin, and lap guitar.  The night had already been a rousing success as the guy who owns the music shop we were playing in had just bought a box of old LPs and found the 1967 poster which had been issued with Dylan's Greatest Hits in the pile.  I immediately snagged it as well as a really clean copies of the Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed" and Dylan's "John Wesley Harding" to replace my more worn copies.

Anyway, one of the folks there who I know asked me if I would be interested in another Banner as he had run across one about 1 1/2 hours away.  Not knowing much about Gibsons he said it was either a '42 LG1 or LG2.  The only thing he could say for sure is the guitar did not have a burst.   So, this means assuming the year is correct while it could be an LG2 which has lost its finish the door remains open to it also being an LG1 or LG3 either of which could make me break my vow of no more guitars.

As we left it, my friend emailed the seller asking him to get in touch with me.  I tend to be fatalistic about such things though.  If it works out then it was meant to be,  If not then so be it. Luckily, I am way past that stage where if it does not happen, I have no regrets about an opportunity missed.

8 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I played out last night.  A great mix of folks including a harp, mandolin, and lap guitar.  The night had already been a rousing success as the guy who owns the music shop we were playing in had just bought a box of old LPs and found the 1967 poster which had been issued with Dylan's Greatest Hits in the pile.  I immediately snagged it as well as a really clean copies of the Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed" and Dylan's "John Wesley Harding" to replace my more worn copies.

Anyway, one of the folks there who I know asked me if I would be interested in another Banner as he had run across one about 1 1/2 hours away.  Not knowing much about Gibsons he said it was either a '42 LG1 or LG2.  The only thing he could say for sure is the guitar did not have a burst.   So, this means assuming the year is correct while it could be an LG2 which has lost its finish the door remains open to it also being an LG1 or LG3 either of which could make me break my vow of no more guitars.

As we left it, my friend emailed the seller asking him to get in touch with me.  I tend to be fatalistic about such things though.  If it works out then it was meant to be,  If not then so be it. Luckily, I am way past that stage where if it does not happen, I have no regrets about an opportunity missed.

Good luck..... let us know how it turns out.

1 hour ago, jedzep said:

If you're a musician, it pays to also be a philosopher.

It is not as much philosophizing as it is having reached the point where I no longer get emotional about guitars.  This just came upon me out of the blue with all the subtlety of a flying mallet.  

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

'42 LG1 hog top, brown stain, no burst

'42 LG3 natural top, no burst

One of the things when it comes to discussions of sound is that they tend to be more about us.  It is like you get ingrained with the way a certain guitar sounds with a force that you cannot shake. For my wife it was a certain Collings 12 string.  When it comes to LGs for me that guitar remains a 1944 maple body LG2.  Different though can also be a force to be reckoned with.  But as I aways I have to keep an eye on myself that what is attracting me is not the idea of owning this or that guitar. 

Edited by zombywoof

10 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Exciting - wonder what poster it was. Is it that black'n'white thing ?

Nah.  While Dylan's face is a black silhouette, his hair is given the psychedelic  treatment. Very Peter Max-ish looking.    But because most of us took whatever we got as LP candy and taped it up on a wall more often as not it did not survive.

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Ain't that the truth.

I was more thrilled with finding the poster than learning about the guitars.  Not as cool though as the Fish Game that came with the second Country Joe LP.  The "Holy Grail" of LP candy though remains the small LP size poster which came with the 1st Stones album. Original pressings with that goody still in the sleeve bring some serious big bucks from collectors (which I ain't).

Edited by zombywoof

11 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Nah.  While Dylan's face is a black silhouette, his hair is given the psychedelic  treatment. Very Peter Max-ish looking.    But because most of us took whatever we got as LP candy and taped it up on a wall more often as not it did not survive.

Welll, , , this must be it. Knew that one - but never thought it was an original 6os release.

Milton Glaser Bob Dylan Original Portrait Poster RARE 1967 - Etsy

Yes - I had Beatles posters over my bed since I had the same size. That means 1965, , , and being 1 meter long. 

12 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Welll, , , this must be it. Knew that one - but never thought it was an original 6os release.

Milton Glaser Bob Dylan Original Portrait Poster RARE 1967 - Etsy

Yes - I had Beatles posters over my bed since I had the same size. That means 1965, , , and being 1 meter long. 

Many LPs such as Cream's Goodbye, a couple of Ten Years After LPs, the Airplane's Crown of Creation (this was the one with RFK's dog Brumus later immortalized in Blows Against the Empire) the Stones Let It Bleed originally came with posters.  There was also an order form on the inner sleeve of Columbia Records for the Dylan poster and others.   Warner Bros went with offering Double LPs on the cheap featuring various artists with each record having some kind of a theme.  

Edited by zombywoof

10 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Many LPs such as Cream's Goodbye, a couple of Ten Years After LPs, the Airplane's Crown of Creation (this was the one with RFK's dog Brumus later immortalized in Blows Against the Empire) the Stones Let It Bleed originally came with posters.  There was also an order form on the inner sleeve of Columbia Records for the Dylan poster and others.   Warner Bros went with offering Double LPs on the cheap featuring various artists with each record having some kind of a theme.  

Sure - even Dark Side of The Moon had a smaller poster. Of course The White Album and All Things Must Pass featured big folded pics.

You may no dig it, zomb, but have to say that Donovan's Cosmic Wheels came with a circular poster. 
Donovan - Cosmic Wheels - Used Vinyl - High-Fidelity Vinyl Records and  Hi-Fi Equipment Hollywood Los Angeles CA

And here's the Let It Bleed souvenir. 

Original Let It Bleed Rolling Stones Poster Never Hung - Etsy

My bass-player actually has it inside his copy. .