Gibson Brands Forums

Strings for the Hummingbird? ..80/20 or PB's ??

ALD323

If you have a Gibson Hummingbird, which is your string of choice?    80/20 or PB and why? I have always used 80/20's but recently I bought a used IBG epi hummingbird which came with PB's ..I was about to tear them off, but decidd to play for a while with the PB's ..the more I play the more I like them...but I am not sure if its the guitar or the stings. What say you guys?! THX!

It's never a bad Q. Topic ever interesting and I'm a bit in both camps though my next move on the True Vintage will be bronze. 
Let's look at this quote :

The main differences between phosphor bronze and 80/20 guitar strings are:

• 80/20 guitar strings were first used in the 1930s, whereas the phosphor bronze acoustic guitar string were created in the 1970s
  • Phosphor bronze guitar strings contain 92% copper, whereas the 80/20 strings feature just 80% copper
  • 80/20 guitar strings age quickly, whereas the phosphor bronze guitar strings are not prone to corrosion
  • Phosphor bronze strings produce a natural sound, whereas the 80/20 strings are known for their bright tone
  • 80/20 guitar strings can be impacted by the user’s sweat, whereas exposure to sweat doesn’t affect bronze phosphor strings

Lifted from this article. 

https://guitarspace.org/guitar-accessories/phosphor-bronze-vs-80-20/

• Like 1

Worth experimenting with both, and your preferred choice could depend on the style of music you play and not just what model of guitar you have chosen.

In my experience:

80/20 = Brighter, and a more pure fundamental tone from the root note. Don't last as long.

Phosphor = A bit darker, and also more complex, like the overtones are slightly emphasized. Last longer.

• Like 1

I have an IBG Hummingbird and it's a little bright sounding soI like PB's or D'Addario Nickel Bronze .012's - Martin Titaniums were also very good.

My '57 Historic SJ-200 is a really warm sounding guitar and John Pearse 80/20 .012 lights are excellent on it.

uRWsig7l.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 4:02 AM, E-minor7 said:

It's never a bad Q. Topic ever interesting and I'm a bit in both camps though my next move on the True Vintage will be bronze. 
Let's look at this quote :

The main differences between phosphor bronze and 80/20 guitar strings are:

• 80/20 guitar strings were first used in the 1930s, whereas the phosphor bronze acoustic guitar string were created in the 1970s
  • Phosphor bronze guitar strings contain 92% copper, whereas the 80/20 strings feature just 80% copper
  • 80/20 guitar strings age quickly, whereas the phosphor bronze guitar strings are not prone to corrosion
  • Phosphor bronze strings produce a natural sound, whereas the 80/20 strings are known for their bright tone
  • 80/20 guitar strings can be impacted by the user’s sweat, whereas exposure to sweat doesn’t affect bronze phosphor strings

Lifted from this article. 

https://guitarspace.org/guitar-accessories/phosphor-bronze-vs-80-20/

Thanks EM7 - this has been one of the most informative  'which strang do you all use?'  threads.    (Even Sgt.Pepper has been converted ! )      

• Like 1

I have a 2020 Hummingbird Original that is spruce over mahogany, and it came with PB strings.  I have switched to 80/20 for a slightly brighter sound, but really all you can do is try them both and decide for yourself which you like better.  We all have different touch/attack and that certainly makes a difference.

• Like 1

i've swapped between the two without noticing too much difference, maybe it's just my obliviousness-  IME you've got the bright new sound when you first get them on, then what i call the sweet spot for however long that lasts, then they start to sound dead without you noticing, then you start to notice how dead they sound and the cycle repeats! I wouldn't overthink it especially on the IBG Hummingbird with good midrange i dont know that most would hear a discernable difference. 

2 hours ago, egoidealmusic said:

For my #1 guitar, a 50s J-45, I really like the Sunbeam PBs.  Tried a number of them but on the recommendation of folks here tried the Sunbeams and am totally sold on the sound.

🌞

Update...and a big thanks to all who replied in here on this issue. Very helpful!  I have decided to go with PB's on both my Gibson hummingbird, as well as my Epi IBG Hummingbird. ...having tested both 80/20 and PB's, on them and have found to my old ear, the PB's to be much richer, thicker, and fuller, and warmer, while still having delicious mids and sweet highs that the 80/20's provided. I used Elixir nanoweb PB lights (.12-.53) simply because they just last way longer and am quite satisfied with them. Thanks again guys! I'd add photos but this website tells me my files are too big, even though I reduced them from 500 KB's to just 65KB's so I give up on that sorry!