Gibson Brands Forums

Cheap(er) Gibson vs Epiphone J-45s

egoidealmusic

2 hours ago, egoidealmusic said:

Haha not surprising neither of these is on our bucket lists.  I just thought it was an interesting comparison of two mid-range takes on a J-45.  Obviously an apples to oranges comparison, but I think of my younger self who couldn't afford an actual J-45.

Or if you’re a working musician on a budget. 

As a part time gigger, I don’t bring my J45 TV out. I’ve already had my D15 damaged in an unpredictable fashion.

i think nearly any guitar with a Baggs M1 sounds great live for old man rocker music.

A neat choice is the Slash Epiphone with a Baggs Element  VTC.

Another is a cheap Eastmanesque $500 guitar like the E2 with a Baggs M1.

Finally… the Fender Player Tele Acoustasonic!

im trying the Fender out this coming Saturday at a gig.

I kinda like the Epiphone headstock.  It has a long history to it as hat even some of the modern variations of it pay tribute to.  The only headstocks that look unusual to me are the Seagull headstocks and PRS headstocks.   They seem too small for some reason.

Just my perspective, though.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

On 11/14/2022 at 3:46 PM, Salfromchatham said:

As a part time gigger, I don’t bring my J45 TV out. 

My J-45 goes to nearly every gig. I use the J-15 for practice and the J-45 for "live" work. Usually, not religiously...

It's gotten some scars, but not so many since I quit drinking in 2010...

😏

Since I've also given up drummers, I can avoid pickups and simply mic it.

19 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

I kinda like the Epiphone headstock.  It has a long history to it as hat even some of the modern variations of it pay tribute to. 

Me too.

I love it and am always looking for a good deal on a solid Epi.

My daughter has a good one.

• Like 1

I actually thought the Epi was sweeter and a bit more J45ish than the G45. Some more complexity and depth in the mids that is of course the J45 hallmark. If I was looking for a good quality gig hack that would be an easy choice. It sounds like it would really bloom with some miles on it too, whereas the G45 sounds quite thin and tight in comparison. 

The vid misleads slightly though, the IBG J45 isn’t the most expensive production Epi, the IBG J200, IBG Hummingbird, Masterbilt Excellente and Masterbilt Frontier are all more pricey.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jinder said:

I actually thought the Epi was sweeter and a bit more J45ish than the G45. Some more complexity and depth in the mids that is of course the J45 hallmark. If I was looking for a good quality gig hack that would be an easy choice. It sounds like it would really bloom with some miles on it too, whereas the G45 sounds quite thin and tight in comparison. 

The vid misleads slightly though, the IBG J45 isn’t the most expensive production Epi, the IBG J200, IBG Hummingbird, Masterbilt Excellente and Masterbilt Frontier are all more pricey.

Yes.. I’d like to see a straight up comparison between the Epi J45 & a Std Gibson J45.. With Mics, Without Mics & with Pickups…

Lars, similar but different -  for a few of the 4 years I gave guitar lessons to the daughter of a co-worker,  I brought my H'Bird TV and she had a new Epi H'Bird.   To plagiarize Jinder - mine was sweeter and had more depth.  The difference was like between an MLB team and a double AA.  Both used the same bats and balls and gloves -  but the AA couldn't score.   That said, I'm tempted every day to embark on a mission to find a good beater at a good price - like a MasterBuilt -  to keep sitting in a corner where I can grab it, leaving my 3 MLB Gibsons in their music room.   Errr, I mean MY music room.  

• Haha 1

I get the beater argument, but (and I started this thread) I didn't buy a Gibson to just hang on the wall.  I bought it to play.  Does that mean it's wearing through the finish where I play?  Yup.  Does it mean it's got a pretty good gash where a harmonica landed corner down on it?   Yup.  Does it mean that the frets are wearing from play.  Yup. Yup. Yup.  But that's what it's for.

When the harmonica hit it I was playing with a buddy, and I was bummed.  He said I didn't seem like the kind of guy who cared about a dent given that it's best sounding acoustic he's ever heard.  I realized I don't, and it is a tremendous sounding guitar, so it's what's next to me at all times.  

• Like 1

eim,   I agree.  That's why I've been able to resist the temptation to get a beater.  In my 70s.  only having had the luxury of three top of the line guitars for the past 15 years or so -   I am not going to waste my valuable playing time on something less enjoyable.   If I played out, or had a lake house,  etc. - I'd absolutely have an Epiphone. But I don't.  

Life is short - Play a Gibson !   

• Like 2

I’ve got a really great Gibson Bozeman Masterbilt Solid Top J-160E.. Of all the Gibson Slope Shoulder Guitars I’ve played I think it’s the best Sounding & Looking… I Love the Beatle connection.. But, I really like the P90 & the Volume & Tone knobs where they’re easy to use…

I also have a Vintage 1975 Martin D-35 which is a wonderful Guitar.. With Fishman Electronics installed by Martin…

I recently bought a cheapie Epi Inspired by Paul Mc Cartney Texan a few years ago as a knock around Guitar… I don’t care much for the Electronics but it’s a good Guitar.. Brighter than my D-35 or J-160E.. But, excellently crafted & an interesting sound.. I think a paid $349.00 new.. I bought it as a knock around but it’s anything but… I care for it as I would a top line Guitar.. This Guitar sounds good, is well built & looks good.. Got lucky..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 2:56 AM, egoidealmusic said:

I get the beater argument, but (and I started this thread) I didn't buy a Gibson to just hang on the wall.  I bought it to play.  Does that mean it's wearing through the finish where I play?  Yup.  Does it mean it's got a pretty good gash where a harmonica landed corner down on it?   Yup.  Does it mean that the frets are wearing from play.  Yup. Yup. Yup.  But that's what it's for.

When the harmonica hit it I was playing with a buddy, and I was bummed.  He said I didn't seem like the kind of guy who cared about a dent given that it's best sounding acoustic he's ever heard.  I realized I don't, and it is a tremendous sounding guitar, so it's what's next to me at all times.  

I feel exactly the same. My main live guitars at the moment are my 2015 SJ200 Standard and a 1997 D18GE. They’ve got their share of battlescars but they’re professional grade instruments and I know they will bring the good stuff whenever and wherever I ask it of them. They earn their keep and pay the rent!  Wear is character, play time is tone, and frets can be replaced.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 2:59 PM, Larsongs said:

I’ve got a really great Gibson Bozeman Masterbilt Solid Top J-160E.. Of all the Gibson Slope Shoulder Guitars I’ve played I think it’s the best Sounding & Looking… I Love the Beatle connection.. But, I really like the P90 & the Volume & Tone knobs where they’re easy to use…

I also have a Vintage 1975 Martin D-35 which is a wonderful Guitar.. With Fishman Electronics installed by Martin…

I recently bought a cheapie Epi Inspired by Paul Mc Cartney Texan a few years ago as a knock around Guitar… I don’t care much for the Electronics but it’s a good Guitar.. Brighter than my D-35 or J-160E.. But, excellently crafted & an interesting sound.. I think a paid $349.00 new.. I bought it as a knock around but it’s anything but… I care for it as I would a top line Guitar.. This Guitar sounds good, is well built & looks good.. Got lucky..

I had an IB’64 Texan for several years and loved it. That one really punched above its weight cost wise and was a great live and studio guitar. I used to take it to overseas gigs I had to fly to-much less risk than flying with one of my Gibsons. I put 13s on it and tuned it to Eb, absolutely great tone. I sold it to make ends meet at the start of Covid but I should have kept it.