Gibson Brands Forums

Roland JC120 50th Anniversary special; jdgms Xmas list!

jdgm

They are building 350 of these only and they're all numbered...about $2k and probably more in GBP ££. 

I bought one in...1978?  My 1st really good, powerful amp; it was totally clean, incredibly loud and treble-y.  Seem to remember it worked as 2 x 60w amps with the stereo chorus...?  I had a compressor pedal - no od - at the time, which paired really well with it....did many gigs, even let another member of a band I joined use it for keyboards as I was playing bass in that one.  I remember it falling off the back of a stage one night and to my surprise it carried on working as normal!   Eventually I put a closed back on it (with a vent, sounded even better IMO) and sold it in the mid 80s, replacing it with a Fender Twin II. 

Santa - I'd love another JC120 or the one with the 15" speaker.   But (sshh) don't really have any room or need for another high-power guitar amp (still have 2 stored under the stairs).   My Roland Micro-Cube has a fine 'JC ' simulation which brings back the memories.   But one of these is the real deal.  These things are loud!

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

Who the F needs a 120 watt amp?  You playing at Madison Square Garden? I had a 40 watt Fender Dlx that people could hear down the street when tuned up, and a 60 watt DeVille which was Motorhead loud. Anything past 3 was painful.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

That's the trouble innit? 

Amps of this power - seems to me they are louder 20-30 ft away so there's no way you need it in a typical small gig.  But it's like a 5-litre V8 engine or something; you can do the job with far less but what a ride! [cool]

Though I gig a red-knob Super 60, I've still got a late 70s silverface Dual Showman I fully intend to take out again.   Even louder and treblier than a JC120 🎸

Effin' A [thumbup]

P1050392.jpg

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

Ah, yes. The mighty Roland.

I've played alongside many in my day, but I never owned one.

What younger, inexperienced players don't understand is back in the early/mid 70's BAR bands didn't have a mixer. I mean, they had a mixer at the Filmore, but most BAR bands were still using those old Shure column p.a.'s. So if you had a large bar seating 200 and up, or even into the 300's, you had a drummer to compete with, other guitars, bass, other noise. You VERY OFTEN needed a 100 watt amp. That's why they made them.

When Hartley Peavey built those XR600 series p.a.'s with 6 channels and a graphic eq along with columns with 2;12's, 2;10's and 3 tweeters, man those were the schitt.  There was one for every bar in Nashville at one time. He was also instrumental in putting inexpensive mixers, monitors, and cabs on many school and church stages.

He built so much p.a. gear in the late 70's/early 80's that it disrupted the plywood business. In a few years it caught up, other companies jumped in, and he got greedy and moved all of his production to China firing the very employees who made him rich and famous.

Another very famous Solid State from the 70's that still gets respect today are the Lab Series amps. I played with a guy who uses one exclusively just before I went acoustic.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 2:02 PM, Murph said:

Ah, yes. The mighty Roland.

I've played alongside many in my day, but I never owned one.

What younger, inexperienced players don't understand is back in the early/mid 70's BAR bands didn't have a mixer. I mean, they had a mixer at the Filmore, but most BAR bands were still using those old Shure column p.a.'s. So if you had a large bar seating 200 and up, or even into the 300's, you had a drummer to compete with, other guitars, bass, other noise. You VERY OFTEN needed a 100 watt amp. That's why they made them.

When Hartley Peavey built those XR600 series p.a.'s with 6 channels and a graphic eq along with columns with 2;12's, 2;10's and 3 tweeters, man those were the schitt.  There was one for every bar in Nashville at one time. He was also instrumental in putting inexpensive mixers, monitors, and cabs on many school and church stages.

He built so much p.a. gear in the late 70's/early 80's that it disrupted the plywood business. In a few years it caught up, other companies jumped in, and he got greedy and moved all of his production to China firing the very employees who made him rich and famous.

Another very famous Solid State from the 70's that still gets respect today are the Lab Series amps. I played with a guy who uses one exclusively just before I went acoustic.

Yes...that is how it was.  And no monitors.

My 1st band only existed because I bought a pair of s/h Peavey columns, a basic mixer amp with 6 channels or something - I don't remember the make of it, the whole lot was £200 - and some mic stands.  Someone has to if you want a band.   After the band broke up I purchased the other guitarists Peavey VT50 Classic 4 x 10 which was one of the best amps I ever had. 

Edited by jdgm

I was just listening to The Cure the other day thinking about what cool amps these are. I wonder how close it actually is to the originals. It’s so easy these days to just slap a class D power amp on everything. Chorus is probably at least Coolaudio but that’s not really a problem