Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 2020 J45 Rosewood, Limited Edition Custom Shop Build

hojo199

Hi, All,

Was looking for a rosewood J45 and got this one in a trade for a 2017 Martin D28. Seems unique in that it has the "CUSTOM SHOP" label on the back of the neck and "Limited Edition" on the orange label. Headstock is unlike any I have seen. Anyone have any insight into this guitar?

Thanks!

3.jpg

54 minutes ago, Proclaimer888 said:

Thats a sweet look'n Gibson.  What are your thoughts on her?  I assume she is a cannon!

Really a fine piece. Fit and finish exquisite. Tone beast. Plays perfectly. Snappy highs, deep lows. Very alive and loud.

6 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I remember seeing them in GC.  Gibson had a spell of adding L5flower pot type inlaid. I had the same thing on an L1 from around that time

52581822813_7b8b2dfaa4_z.jpg

However, this one has snowflake inlays on the fingerboard, bound headstock and neck.

The photo is so small it is tough for me to make out.  But while Gibson has come out with some interesting headstocks such as that on the J55 I have never seen one without the two humps. Whether it be with or without wings (I prefer the former) the headstock is as much of a Gibson trademark as the name which adorns it.  Oddly though I kinda like it while at the same time it offends the traditionalist in me.  

Edited by zombywoof

29 minutes ago, hojo199 said:

However, this one has snowflake inlays on the fingerboard, bound headstock and neck.

That's what I remembered on the 45. I was only referring to the headstock. Is the back and sides rosewood or walnut? I sort of remember walnut.

16 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The photo is so small it is tough for me to make out.  But while Gibson has come out with some interesting headstocks such as that on the J55 I have never seen one without the two humps. Whether it be with or without wings (I prefer the former) the headstock is as much of a Gibson trademark as the name which adorns it.  Oddly though I kinda like it while at the same time it offends the traditionalist in me.  

ZW,  Yep,  that is what I was referring to - not the inlay -  I know there are several out there  (I have a J45 with a fleur de lis type of inlay which was designed by Ren back in the day).  I was referring to the unusual shape or profile of the headstock  -  it is not the 'open book'  or 'two humps'  shape of the wood itself.  Thought I read once that the headstock shape was viewed by Gibson as something 'protect'  from being copied by those trying to create knock-offs.    Picture is small - hard to tell.  But, like I wrote - in my limited knowledge base - I've never seen one like that. 

I have a 2016 RW J45 (Custom) that has a vine inlay on the head stock and what you may call snowflake inlays on the fretboard. So yeah they do a lot of different stuff on these. Cant see the headstock well enough to comment on that but my 94 Centennial Jumbo has the more narrow, old style headstock.

My 2016 J45 is the easiest playing acoustic I have ever played. I like a low action and this thing is fantastic straight out of the box. The build quality is top notch, perfect. And best of all, it sounds great. Just as you described. I have a custom shop D28 with Adi top and scalloped Adi braces set in the “golden era” configuration. Incredible sounding guitar but the J45 RW is right there, just different.

23 minutes ago, J185cat said:

I have a 2016 RW J45 (Custom) that has a vine inlay on the head stock and what you may call snowflake inlays on the fretboard. So yeah they do a lot of different stuff on these. Cant see the headstock well enough to comment on that but my 94 Centennial Jumbo has the more narrow, old style headstock.

My 2016 J45 is the easiest playing acoustic I have ever played. I like a low action and this thing is fantastic straight out of the box. The build quality is top notch, perfect. And best of all, it sounds great. Just as you described. I have a custom shop D28 with Adi top and scalloped Adi braces set in the “golden era” configuration. Incredible sounding guitar but the J45 RW is right there, just different.

Yes. Interesting that you mentioned the Martin. I traded a really nice D28 re imagined for this guitar, and both of us couldn't be happier.... Point is, these Gibbys are right there with the best of CFM....

The forum has such a limited photo upload file size, there really should be a sticky at the top of the page saying "please upload to imgur.com and choose direct embed".

Gruhn had a 2020 J-45 Ltd Ed. Is this similar to your headstock? :

JUUl5re.png

https://guitars.com/inventory/ag6814-2020-gibson-j-45-rosewood-limited-edition     ( wow, George got guitars.com?)

Congrats on the NGD. I had a couple of the J-45 R's . . . the J-45's round shoulder design and scale length really kept the sound out of the mud that can happen when rosewood combines with the long scale and square shoulders. 

3 hours ago, 62burst said:

The forum has such a limited photo upload file size, there really should be a sticky at the top of the page saying "please upload to imgur.com and choose direct embed".

Gruhn had a 2020 J-45 Ltd Ed. Is this similar to your headstock? :

JUUl5re.png

https://guitars.com/inventory/ag6814-2020-gibson-j-45-rosewood-limited-edition     ( wow, George got guitars.com?)

Congrats on the NGD. I had a couple of the J-45 R's . . . the J-45's round shoulder design and scale length really kept the sound out of the mud that can happen when rosewood combines with the long scale and square shoulders. 

Yes and yes. Thank you

5 hours ago, hojo199 said:

Yes. Interesting that you mentioned the Martin. I traded a really nice D28 re imagined for this guitar, and both of us couldn't be happier.... Point is, these Gibbys are right there with the best of CFM....

I should hope so for what they charge for them. No well made guitar is cheap.