Gibson Brands Forums

Darn G String!

Gibson CS

I just saw this discussion someplace else. The problem is using an unwound G string on electrics. If I can find them again, I'll try to post the references, but he gist of it is that a plain G string when properly tuned is improperly tensioned for mechanical stability. It's also why it's difficult to intone properly. If you want the problem to go away, find a compatible wound G string.

I mentioned this same problem on the thread "Improving a Les Paul Studio". The G string is always the first to detune on my LP Studio. My Strat is the same, though it has better tuning overall. On my Strat I will install a graphite nut to improve tunning. Should I do the same on my LP Studio?

I had this very issue with my new Studio also. My local tech fixed it when he did a set-up for me. In my case, the slot wasn't deep enough in the nut - it was almost laying over it. He made it a little deeper and it's been fine ever since. Other things, like people have mentioned, are putting graphite in the slot, and even making sure you are putting your strings on correctly. Not at all saying you are not, but it can cause the string to slip if not.

But yeah, that G string is the bane of many guitarists.

I thought I posted this earlier...I've never really had any issues with the G-string myself, FORTUNATELY....Seems like my the culprit with me has been the B-string...Maybe it's the way I play. BTW...This is a thread from the Epiphone Forum which has some really good info regarding most everything AND there are some guys there who are quite astute in their posts.................J

http://images.onstagemag.com/files/46/0202Setuptxt.html

Don't worry.

Same issue on almost all kind of solid-bodies - Strat, Godin, DeArmond, Guild, etc. - but on LP it's more evident.

It's called "the flatting G" hereby - and if you use a tremolo bar it's even worst.

It gets better changing the thickness of the string (all the set or at least two pairs of three).

On the other hand, on classical (nylon) guitars G is the critical string, since it's the first not metal-wired.

G factor...

:-({|=

Don't worry.

Same issue on almost all kind of solid-bodies - Strat' date=' Godin, DeArmond, Guild, etc. - but on LP it's more evident.

It's called "the flatting G" hereby - and if you use a tremolo bar it's even worst.

It gets better changing the thickness of the string (all the set or at least two pairs of three).

On the other hand, on classical (nylon) guitars G is the critical string, since it's the first not metal-wired.

G factor...

:-({|= [/quote']

I don't play Classical music but I do play a nylon stringed guitar. Although extremely hard to find, LaBella offers a set called "900W Golden Superior" Nylon Golden Alloy Polished, and has a wound 3rd and gold colored 1st and 2nd which for me are far above anything I've ever played. ............J

I don't play Classical music but I do play a nylon stringed guitar. Although extremely hard to find' date=' LaBella offers a set called "900W Golden Superior" Nylon Golden Alloy Polished, and has a wound 3rd and gold colored 1st and 2nd which for me are far above anything I've ever played. ............J[/quote']

Thanks for the tip.

I'll try and see if they're available here in Italy.

I wonder, if they're hard to find over there... but you never know.

OK - found (on the web, but there are some stores that do have).

TY once more

Archived