Gibson Brands Forums

The Lucy Les Paul Project (George Harrison)

duane v

Good job there Duane.  I would be a little worried about how the headstock was repaired in the first place. Decent repairs usually have some kind of spline that they route in the back of the neck where the break happened. You will find out I guess when you get some strings on.  Looking good though  [thumbup]

7 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Good job there Duane.  I would be a little worried about how the headstock was repaired in the first place. Decent repairs usually have some kind of spline that they route in the back of the neck where the break happened. You will find out I guess when you get some strings on.  Looking good though  [thumbup]

I wish I had a jig to rout for a couple of splints, but the seller stated it had strings and it held together. He used titetbond glue which pretty powerful stuff, so hopefully it will hold. I will throw on a .008 set of strings and see if repair will hold, then eventually go to a .009 set. 

4 minutes ago, duane v said:

I wish I had a jig to rout for a couple of splints, but the seller stated it had strings and it held together. He used titetbond glue which pretty powerful stuff, so hopefully it will hold. I will throw on a .008 set of strings and see if repair will hold, then eventually go to a .009 set. 

Just dont do what George does in Get Back and leave it leaning up against an amp,  EVER   🙂   (even though thats a given for any Gibson with a 14 degree headstock (wasnt it 17 in the old days?).

On 1/9/2023 at 1:06 PM, Rabs said:

Just dont do what George does in Get Back and leave it leaning up against an amp,  EVER   🙂   (even though thats a given for any Gibson with a 14 degree headstock (wasnt it 17 in the old days?).

You will never forget your first Gibson headstock break.

I painted the headstock with some gloss black nitro and applied 7 coats. Pretty pleased with the results. Tomorrow I'll shoot the cherry red stain on the back then let the paint cure another 3-5 days and blast it with the nitro clear. The last image is just some dust I was luck enough not to have any dust particles get lodged in the paint. I do need to figure out how to remove the adhesive line from the frisket that cover the logo with messing up the paint

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

On 1/11/2023 at 11:00 PM, saturn said:

No sh!t

sKns8nMl.jpg

I ordered an ES-335 around 2010 from Musicians Friend. It came and I was stoked. Opened it up and took it out of the case and it wouldn't tune. And then I saw the headstock only being held on by the string tension. I was pissed. It went back to UPS the next day and then I got my BB King.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Lucy Project is now complete!!!!

Although the UV lamp barely did anything and didn't want that to turn into a 6 month adventure I just decide to go with guitar as is. Really happy with headstock repair even though I wasn't able to completely mask the repair, it still looks better than it did in its original cosmetic state.

Working with nitrocellulose lacquer was much easier than I thought it would be, just as long as you follow StewMac's instructions to the tee, and also wear PPE and use in a well ventilated area.

Since I had all the electronics and hardware, all I needed to buy was the lacquer kit from Stewmac and TRC. Total for the guitar  a tad over $1100

FullSizeRender_i636JgTG9e2Sq4iAh3mpie.jp

FullSizeRender_kFCodyEnFRyk7WUGv3zGTZ.jp

IMG_2652.JPG

IMG_2651.JPG

IMG_2656.JPG

Nice job Duane! It’s amazing what you can do without a spray rig or buffing wheel with those stewmac products. I can’t see any evidence of the break in these most recent pics 

are you planning on replacing the Les Paul model logo or is this as far as she goes? Excellent job masking the inlay btw

12 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Nice job Duane! It’s amazing what you can do without a spray rig or buffing wheel with those stewmac products. I can’t see any evidence of the break in these most recent pics 

are you planning on replacing the Les Paul model logo or is this as far as she goes? Excellent job masking the inlay btw

Actually when Georges Les Paul was refinished in the mid 60's, Gibson painted over the Les Paul transfer...... why???? who knows. I don't think Les and Gibson were on the best of terms during those times. 

On 2/7/2023 at 1:43 PM, duane v said:

Actually when Georges Les Paul was refinished in the mid 60's, Gibson painted over the Les Paul transfer...... why???? who knows. I don't think Les and Gibson were on the best of terms during those times. 

So which sanding method did you use in the end?   Looks good which ever one you went for [thumbup]

4 minutes ago, Rabs said:

So which sanding method did you use in the end?   Looks good which ever one you went for [thumbup]

I went with 1200 grit and an eraser as a sanding block and sprits. Then I used medium compound, the fine compound then swirl remover.