Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop 1930’s AJ Limited Edition

Lymeyboy

Hi! 

I’m new to the forum, and a new Gibson owner. I’ve been looking for something special for years and when I saw a used AJ in a local guitar shop it was love at first sight! It’s an absolute killer and I can’t imagine ever wanting to part with it.
I contacted Gibson with the serial number and they told me it’s a 2010 1930’s AJ Limited Edition. They sent me this link: 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RSAJLCNH2--gibson-acoustic-1930s-aj-limited-edition

Unfortunately, the Sweetwater link only gives partial information. It tells me the top is Red Spruce/Adi but that the back and sides are “rosewood” - however to my experienced eyes it’s not EIR and looks more exotic, maybe Madagascar? I know that Gibson were apparently using Madagascar RW up til 2011 (from what I read on another thread) but can anyone else enlighten me? 
Also, there’s no internal label, just the serial number on the neck block - I’m guessing that’s just a feature of vintage series instruments? There are also no braces/support strips on the inside of the sides. Is that part of the vintage spec on the guitar? I’m used to seeing side braces on solid side wood. 
Any insights would be appreciated. 
😃

D849E1E7-7142-4407-AB18-EA2AAB3EEFF9.jpeg

02F1A2D6-FBEB-4E7B-985B-30F2DB755028.jpeg

3 hours ago, Lymeyboy said:

It tells me the top is Red Spruce/Adi but that the back and sides are “rosewood” - however to my experienced eyes it’s not EIR and looks more exotic, maybe Madagascar? 

You might be on to something there. And to throw another complication to the mystery, you might want to look into the Lacy Act raids on Gibson in 2009 and 2010.

Welcome to the forum.

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is a beauty. I still do not like those tiger stripe pickguards. That back is one of the coolest I've ever seen.

Thanks. The back and sides are so pretty - won me over instantly. The pickguards are kind of ‘love ‘em or hate ‘em’ but it’s authentic to the originals I guess.

10 hours ago, Old Neil said:

Lovely guitar. Wonder how it sounds. Not sure from your post but did you buy it? It is listed as no longer available on the Streetwater link.

This guitar is not the one sold by Streetwater, but the same model, according to my reply from Gibson. And oh yes, I did buy it!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 62burst said:

You might be on to something there. And to throw another complication to the mystery, you might want to look into the Lacy Act raids on Gibson in 2009 and 2010.

Welcome to the forum.

Wow that’s interesting! I’d love to know for sure what wood was used - I’m kind of disappointed that Gibson don’t keep more accurate records of this kind of stuff. I guess they must just make too many guitars to keep details on them all. 

7 hours ago, Dave F said:

My NL Mystic Rosewood has an exotic sounding name and is highly figured. Talk to the vintage guys and this kind of wood back in the day was called stump wood and was not very desirable.

52610094840_447ff1845b_b.jpg

That’s a beauty too. “A thing of beauty is a joy forever.” That’s what I told my wife when I bought it anyway! 😂

10 hours ago, Proclaimer888 said:

Wow and congrats!!!!  She must be a cannon!

Thank you! I’m a very happy man right now 😂 

One of the loudest guitars I’ve played, but also quite articulate and responsive to gentle fingerpicking. A good allrounder for a dread’ - maybe the sloped shoulders helps with that? 

Welcome to the Forum.

That's a real looker. I'm a fan of Rosewood, I have a 2003 J-45 Rosewood with ebony fretboard and bridge. It's a combination I rarely see, and it's now 20 years old.

Welcome, again.

Edited by Murph
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had a Martin dread with Madagascar back and sides a while back. That long, vertical 'ripple' in the grain on the outer edges of the back of yours reminds me of how a lot of the Madagascar tops of that era at least shared that characteristic. So, it's possible...

Edited by Old Neil

Lovely guitar! Typically, when Gibson used Madagascar rosewood in a guitar, they said so in the specs.  Martin does the same thing. Since this was made for an overseas dealer, however, all "typical" bets are off.

My L-OO Legend has a Madagascar rosewood fingerboard and bridge, and the original specs for the guitar said that, although that reference was eventually dropped.

Madagascar usually but not always is less "stripey" then Indian, but it really depends on the tree and the way the log is sawn.

Whatever species it is, it's a beautiful guitar.

What do the sides look like?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 5:52 PM, Old Neil said:

I had a Martin dread with Madagascar back and sides a while back. That long, vertical 'ripple' in the grain on the outer edges of the back of yours reminds me of how a lot of the Madagascar tops of that era at least shared that characteristic. So, it's possible...

Thanks for the input Old Neil - I appreciate it. Before seeing this guitar I considered an HD-28 with Madagascar B+S and it looked very similar to mine. 

On 1/25/2023 at 8:11 PM, Lars68 said:

I had a 2007 AJ with adi top and madagascar back and sides. It looked very much like yours. The label has most likely been removed by a previous owner. Have you checked the case? I have been known to do such things myself 😁

Lars

I've had a good scout in the case but no luck. I've been considering buying a bootleg label on eBay since it does look like the previous owner removed the original - just not sure I want to put a non-original label in there 😒

On 1/27/2023 at 12:43 AM, j45nick said:

Lovely guitar! Typically, when Gibson used Madagascar rosewood in a guitar, they said so in the specs.  Martin does the same thing. Since this was made for an overseas dealer, however, all "typical" bets are off.

My L-OO Legend has a Madagascar rosewood fingerboard and bridge, and the original specs for the guitar said that, although that reference was eventually dropped.

Madagascar usually but not always is less "stripey" then Indian, but it really depends on the tree and the way the log is sawn.

Whatever species it is, it's a beautiful guitar.

What do the sides look like?

Thanks j45nick,

Here's a pic of the side. I'm rubbish at uploading pictures though, so my apologies. 

AJ.thumb.jpeg.d8b533eb00c71a868e07fb2cfe3c6031.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lars68 said:

There is no doubt in my mind that is Madagascar. You could post your pictures over at the Martin forum, UMGF. There is a sub-forum dedicated to discussions about tone woods. A lot of guitar builders who really know their stuff contribute there.

Lars

Thanks Lars - I might try that. 👍