Gibson Brands Forums

Any cooks out there?

gearbasher

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

There are two stand alone places here I will go to around where I live. One is Pizzeli's Italian Oven in Little River. It's about 2 streetlights away. And the other is in North Myrtle called Daniello's. I think Daniello's is just a tad better, but it's 10 plus min drive depending on if its tourist season or not. I get the meatball pizza. Thin slices of meatballs with basil. It's damn good. I've tried a few other stand alone places here, and they are better than any chain junk like Dominos or Pizza Hut. About a few months ago my wife and I saw a Little Caesar's commercial, and she said let's get that for dinner. I reluctantly said OK. After eating it I told my wife I never wanted to eat it again, and she said yeah your right. We have a Mellow Mushroom close by, and I have been to a few, and its usually okay. My friend came to visit last summer when my wife went out of town. It was his first night here, and I didn't feel like cooking, and we went a pickup up a pizza from them. It was so salty and nasty. I will never go back. 

When I used to travel for the USCG and when in Rhode Island. I always stayed by TF Green Airport at the Marriott. 2 blocks away was Bertucci's. They have killer homemade rolls, and on the table is olive oil and rosemary to dip the rolls in, and they come to the table hot. They have a pizza called a Sprokie. Its mozzarella cheese, sausage, ricotta chesse and onions. It is killer. I recreate it when I make my own pizza. Ricotta kicks it up to the next level.

Caesar's would be alright if you could get more than pepperoni as a topping.  All the ones around here offer the "Hot'n'Ready"  or their version of a "deep dish", and now that half pizza/half  Cheese stix.  At east on the stix you can get bacon on them.  But not on the pizza side. 

I know what you went through when your friend came to visit.  My ex and I used to go to a place in Ecorse called Frankie's for their spaghetti.  It was always great.  But when I took my second wife(when we were dating) who's never been there before, it really sucked.  [sad]  And after my building it up on the way there it made me look like a fool.  I hate when that happens.

Whitefang

50 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Caesar's would be alright if you could get more than pepperoni as a topping.  All the ones around here offer the "Hot'n'Ready"  or their version of a "deep dish", and now that half pizza/half  Cheese stix.  At east on the stix you can get bacon on them.  But not on the pizza side. 

I know what you went through when your friend came to visit.  My ex and I used to go to a place in Ecorse called Frankie's for their spaghetti.  It was always great.  But when I took my second wife(when we were dating) who's never been there before, it really sucked.  [sad]  And after my building it up on the way there it made me look like a fool.  I hate when that happens.

Whitefang

I want to try real Detroit Pizza. I’ve had real Chicago pizza in Chicago. There was a place in Petaluma, CA when I was stationed there, that made Chicago style pizza, and after two slices you were stuffed. It was damn good.

17 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Best pizza I’ve had was from Pequod’s in Chicago

I had Chicago style a few times when I was stationed at Great Lakes Naval Base. The last time I had it I was flying back from South Korea and my flight was late getting into O’Hare. I had to spend the night in a hotel and went to the place across street for pizza. It was not bad. Have no clue the name of the place.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

As a Chicago guy, I prefer a deep dish sausage pizza, but only if it is a "puck", not a "crumble". Chicago folks know what I mean.

Not a Chicagoan but I assume the sausage. I'm the opposite, prefer the crumble and lots of red pepper flakes.

1 hour ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

As a Chicago guy, I prefer a deep dish sausage pizza, but only if it is a "puck", not a "crumble". Chicago folks know what I mean.

I'm guessing the sausage the is crumbly or the one that is in a  puck shape slice.

I made French Onion Soup last night. It was good, and it changes the subject away from pizza.

My wife wants me to make Shepards Pie. She said she has never had it. I could swear I have made it at least once since being married to her. Any tips from the guys in the UK on how to kick it up a notch. You guys like lamb or beef. I grew up eating lamb and I like it. Many don't like the taste of it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

If it's not lamb it's not shepherd's pie. If it's beef it's cottage pie. 

If you don't already, put egg yokes (1 per serving, +1) in the mash. That's the bit everyone misses. 

Start with onions celery and carrots in a pan with oil. Once soft, add lamb (not lean) to brown.

Once the lamb is browned add stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree (optionally some crushed garlic or paste) and garden peas, bring back to boil and simmer for 10 5-10 minutes. Use plain flour to thicken if necessary.

Top with mash made with egg yolks, and optionally add some grated mature cheddar and large slices of beef tomato to the top and bake at 180°c for 20 mins or so. Not sure how many of those f's that is. You just want a strong crust.

The tomato on top will be hotter than the sun's core from the oven. Approach with caution. 

I looked at a few recipes and they mentioned the lamb vs beef name. None mentioned egg yoke in the mashed potatoes.

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I want to try real Detroit Pizza. I’ve had real Chicago pizza in Chicago. There was a place in Petaluma, CA when I was stationed there, that made Chicago style pizza, and after two slices you were stuffed. It was damn good.

I'm not sure there ever was an actual "Detroit" pizza.  Some do have a big, square thick doughy concoction they call "Detroit style" pizza,  but I really wouldn't brag about it.  There's an old pizzeria named "Buddy's"  that's survived  75 years now and claims to be the originator of the square "Detroit style" pizza.  They've added a few locations over the years and also brag that they've been voted #1 by food critics in the area for years.  They make just regular pizza too, which really isn't too bad.

And BTW----

It's egg YOLK.  Not YOKE!  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

2 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

If it's not lamb it's not shepherd's pie. If it's beef it's cottage pie. 

If you don't already, put egg yokes (1 per serving, +1) in the mash. That's the bit everyone misses. 

Start with onions celery and carrots in a pan with oil. Once soft, add lamb (not lean) to brown.

Once the lamb is browned add stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree (optionally some crushed garlic or paste) and garden peas, bring back to boil and simmer for 10 5-10 minutes. Use plain flour to thicken if necessary.

Top with mash made with egg yolks, and optionally add some grated mature cheddar and large slices of beef tomato to the top and bake at 180°c for 20 mins or so. Not sure how many of those f's that is. You just want a strong crust.

The tomato on top will be hotter than the sun's core from the oven. Approach with caution. 

My mouth is watering just from reading this. Personally I have always added some fresh rosemary and thyme to the mince as well. I’ve always brushed some butter to the top of the mash before it goes in the oven but egg yolk is a better idea to do the same thing 

I’ve already done my grocery shopping for the week but I’m doing your recipe next weekend for sure

I’ve been craving a savory pie in general. Got any tips for a curry pot pie?

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I love hot dogs.

Underrated. Plus, I found them in the freezer. So I saved on dinner. 

I'm thinking, I probably do need SOME sort of Les Paul. Some ideas involve a Standard with other pickups. 

The only flaw in my plan is, well, financial. 

It's possible I'll come to my senses. We shall see. 

Edited by Pinch

1 minute ago, Dub-T-123 said:

You already have a standard with humbuckers right? 

Yes. Some might say that should suffice. 

The Slash would be a no-brainer if I was familiar with and liked the neck profile. 

Edited by Pinch