Gibson Brands Forums

Any cooks out there?

gearbasher

1 minute ago, Dub-T-123 said:

It’s obviously redundant at some level but I totally get it. I have a ridiculously nice LP and I still wouldn’t mind having a black custom and a gold top etc etc. 

Everytime I see shut up n play yer guitar or nighthawk Chris’ burst custom I want one of those

It's redundant at many levels 😄

2 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Yeah but we want to live vicariously through your purchase ASAP

I'll try to reign myself in. The Slash Standards will be available for the forseeable future. 

I just wish there was some consensus on the neck profile. Everyone says something different. 

Oh boy. Talk about a 1st world problem. 

Shepherds Pie - I wouldn't put much carrot in it.  And no cheese or tomato on top for me...=;  too like moussaka!

The worst pizza topping I ever had was goats cheese, pesto, horseradish and artichoke.   Ugh.  But I am in UK and like ham cheese and pineapple.   So dere.  

Fun fact - Pizza Hut introduced stuffed crust pizza in the mid 90s...and guess who did the commercial?  [laugh]

(Hint)  DT

tripe my guacamole

Edited by jdgm

23 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

If it's not lamb it's not shepherd's pie. If it's beef it's cottage pie. 

If you don't already, put egg yokes (1 per serving, +1) in the mash. That's the bit everyone misses. 

Start with onions celery and carrots in a pan with oil. Once soft, add lamb (not lean) to brown.

Once the lamb is browned add stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree (optionally some crushed garlic or paste) and garden peas, bring back to boil and simmer for 10 5-10 minutes. Use plain flour to thicken if necessary.

Top with mash made with egg yolks, and optionally add some grated mature cheddar and large slices of beef tomato to the top and bake at 180°c for 20 mins or so. Not sure how many of those f's that is. You just want a strong crust.

The tomato on top will be hotter than the sun's core from the oven. Approach with caution. 

I want to put tomatoes on top, but wont that block the mashed potatoes from getting a crispy on top?

I also need to see if I can find ground lamb around this place that is devoid of culture and nothing but old professional drunks with golf carts.

Other than Worcestershire Sauce and the garlic, are there any herbs you put in while sautéing the meat?

3 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

Not personally but someone said rosemary and thyme. 

Yes, there will be patches that aren't crisp under the tomatoes. Add sparingly well spaced out. I go for one slice on each serving.  

Edit, if you're having large servings with no sides (traditional, I suppose) then maybe 2 slices preserving.  

I think I'm gonna make it on Tuesday or Wednesday. I need to hit the stores to see if they have lamb, but I think I'm gonna be out of luck. 

In the Epiphone lounge we're discussing Mexican cuisine and I made a comment about asking my wife how many Mexicans went into that Mexican sandwich she once ordered.  So I  have to be fair and ask....

How many shepherds are used to make a shepherd's pie?   And speaking of such....

Why isn't there any POT in a POT PIE? 🤪  But think about it.  There's pumpkin in a pumpkin pie, sweet potato in a sweet potato pie, apple in apple pie, cherries in cherry pie, etc.--- but NO POT in a pot pie?

What gives?

Whitefang

35 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

In the Epiphone lounge we're discussing Mexican cuisine and I made a comment about asking my wife how many Mexicans went into that Mexican sandwich she once ordered.  So I  have to be fair and ask....

How many shepherds are used to make a shepherd's pie?   And speaking of such....

Why isn't there any POT in a POT PIE? 🤪  But think about it.  There's pumpkin in a pumpkin pie, sweet potato in a sweet potato pie, apple in apple pie, cherries in cherry pie, etc.--- but NO POT in a pot pie?

What gives?

Whitefang

There could be but don't forget to decarb it first.

I tried one of those tortas sandwiches, and did not dig it. I got it at a hole in the wall place that everything else was good. 

I would say at least 2 Mexican's. Did I win?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I shall not allow the good name of the torta to be besmirched. They can be amazing, you just didn’t get a good one I think. 

A lot of gringos are gonna order a torta with carne asada or something. That’s kinda not the way to go. Better with carnitas or even better yet the torta cubana which has carnitas, milanesa, and a slice of ham 

53 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I shall not allow the good name of the torta to be besmirched. They can be amazing, you just didn’t get a good one I think. 

A lot of gringos are gonna order a torta with carne asada or something. That’s kinda not the way to go. Better with carnitas or even better yet the torta cubana which has carnitas, milanesa, and a slice of ham 

I am a Gringo, but grew up in California, and I know pretty good Mexican food, and ate it when I went to Mexico, and not just in Tijuana  I usually went to eat Cali where no one spoke Englais. I'm not besmirching the Torta, but  for some reason the Torta just didn't do it for me. I was never one of those guys who when out on liberty in foreign  ports to go eat at a McDonalds. I always tried local food, and many times off the street or in little holes in the wall.

How many here want to make Shepards Pie, and ask if the locals from the UK if they have any tips to make it right?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

39 minutes ago, duane v said:

We pretend not to speak English so that we can hear what people really think. Then we speak Spanish around dumb-**** so they can't understand when we are talking smack about them. 

I usually say what is on my mind and don't give a rip if they hear me or not. Now I'm not so stupid as to talk smack to someone who looks like they could woop my a-ss. 

Ah the old no habla trick. I worked with enough people who spoke Spanish and know many the bad words.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I worked with a Puerto Rican and a Chinese guy most of my career. Of course, they taught me all the Spanish and Chinese curse words and I taught them the Italian ones (and some Yiddish ones I picked up from my dad  who learned them growing up on the Lower East Side).  Any how, one day, my co-worker, Pete was cursing me out in Spanish (jokingly), just as another employee walks by. Shaking his head the guy says: "Only in America can you see a Chinese guy cursing out an Italian in Spanish."

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

As an American, I've always strove to speak fluent English as a second language.  [wink]

Whitefang

My mom was adamant that we always spoke English outside of the home as kids, and spoke our other languages at home or around relatives. My dad didn't care either way as he learned to speak English in America. My mom learned to speak English in Mexico.

Once Ronald Reagan amnestied over three million Latinos in the late 80's, I felt much more comfortable speaking Spanish, as more people were speaking Spanish in the USA and especially SoCal.

27 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

As an English speaker I've always striven to correctly use the past participle. 😜

J/k, of course. 

There's an old joke that goes......

A man in Boston on business was packing to go home when he remembered a friend suggesting to not leave Boston without trying their specialty dish of Scrod.   So when he got in his cab he discovered he had two hours until his flight and asked the cabbie, " Say, do you know where I can get SCROD around here?"

The cab driver turned and said, "You know, I've been asked that question a thousand times, but never in the pluperfect  subjunctive!"

Whitefang

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

There's an old joke that goes......

A man in Boston on business was packing to go home when he remembered a friend suggesting to not leave Boston without trying their specialty dish of Scrod.   So when he got in his cab he discovered he had two hours until his flight and asked the cabbie, " Say, do you know where I can get SCROD around here?"

The cab driver turned and said, "You know, I've been asked that question a thousand times, but never in the pluperfect  subjunctive!"

Whitefang

Just like you said you won't put pulled pork in your mouth. I don't think I want Scrod in mine. Sounds like a dirty prostitutes fun zone.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, duane v said:

My mom was adamant that we always spoke English outside of the home as kids, and spoke our other languages at home or around relatives. My dad didn't care either way as he learned to speak English in America. My mom learned to speak English in Mexico.

Once Ronald Reagan amnestied over three million Latinos in the late 80's, I felt much more comfortable speaking Spanish, as more people were speaking Spanish in the USA and especially SoCal.

My Mom was French (war bride) and always spoke English to us growing up so I ended up speaking English like a French person - Open and close the light, etc. I learned French when Grand'Mere came to visit.

Reagan nor anyone else ever amnestied French people, literally or figuratively.🙂

Speaking of cooking and food though, we had the best home food in the state of Arkansas.