Gibson Brands Forums

The Hofner Macca Revolution Bass Project

duane v

Well it's pretty much done.... my damn orbital buffer died after the first polishing step (medium cut). I had to do the other two steps by hand which is nearly impossible which is why I ordered another from Amazon. I might redo polishing steps 2 & 3, but I'm happy.

It started out as a righty $250 CT Hofner. And now it's a lefty. The whole project cost me $870.

Made a control panel patch

Removed the neck binding

Removed the fretboard dots replaced with MOP dots.

All German hardware.

All nitro lacquer except the front of the headstock.

Custom pickup surround. 

FullSizeRender_qqr9wLfKcRxKwsg4AuFaBq.jp

FullSizeRender_9xoWwXmZGZxmEAMV5ERFL7.jp

FullSizeRender_qnFpSZ6tTRehrsvSF8UhFB.jp

FullSizeRender_bHePhRNHT82sihud8LHJNr.jp

FullSizeRender_swd6Ufxh6pnR9mq5yPSmBh.jp

FullSizeRender_rwpQhg7T3RYPYBvXhU4t4m.jp

FullSizeRender_8MKxUHiphjnPnr9ivUXS64.jp

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

I'm starting to think you kinda like the Beatles ... lol

It's funny I really like the Beatles, but when the GET BACK documentary dropped I suddenly was obsessed with the instruments they were playing, and I wanted them.... Certainly I wasn't going to pay $6,000 for a Rocky Strat and $4000 for an all rosewood tele , $5000 for a Gibson Lucy Les Pauls and $4000 for a Gibson 64 Custom Shop SG reissue. So I found a way to get all of them for about $3000..... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duane v said:

It's funny I really like the Beatles, but when the GET BACK documentary dropped I suddenly was obsessed with the instruments they were playing, and I wanted them.... Certainly I wasn't going to pay $6,000 for a Rocky Strat and $4000 for an all rosewood tele , $5000 for a Gibson Lucy Les Pauls and $4000 for a Gibson 64 Custom Shop SG reissue. So I found a way to get all of them for about $3000..... 

it's an excellent collection

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 8:03 AM, Whitefang said:

Can't help but admire that level of skill.  I know that if I tried something like that, folks would think I did a "relic" job on 'em. 🥴

Whitefang

Thanks Fang..... It was far from easy for me especially this being my first attempt at a burst, especially emulating a burst (like below) that was far from a traditional type burst. I must have modified my templates three times. 

FullSizeRender_7NhkPFJP89oKoj2eGLH1TX.jp

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2023 at 6:07 PM, duane v said:

FullSizeRender_geGz4YpK2t1KbUZ2K3izoo.jp

First off,  WOW! Wow for your awesome collection, wow for your awesome wood work, wow for your awesome builds, and wow for your awesome attention to detail. (No joke, I expanded this picture to fit my big screen and stared at it whilst listening to classic vinyl for a few hours yesterday. I hope you are cool if I download it and use it as a "screen saver".) Your comment of not wanting to spend big $$ for the historic instruments in your collection, but instead choosing to creating them yourself, made me think of the "personal value" you instilled, ingrained, and imprinted onto/into these instruments, which is far more priceless.  As a "lefty", (but as one who chose to play "righty"), I appreciate the exponentially more difficult process of faithfully recreating "left handed" instruments. (I also fully understand the "Murphy's Law" principle you experienced,  as defined by your sander failing when it did.) I can only imagine that the tonal output characteristics of your art most likely exceeds the physical beauty of each piece. Strangely, I seem to find an equal desire to simply stare in amazement at your collection vs. playing each of them. Thank you so much for sharing your art with me/us, and in so doing, exposing yourself to the potential "slings and arrows" of arm chair internet critics. Well done, sir! 

I’m not familiar with Paul’s Hofner Revolution Bass.. I am familiar with his Revolution period Ric Bass though..

Here is the recent reissue at Andy Babiuk.. He is a Beatles fanatic & is known for carrying very accurate versions of all the Guitars “The Beatles”played.. Why is it so different from the one Paul has in that picture? 

https://reverb.com/item/67310959-hofner-limited-edition-fab-gear-revolution-beatle-bass-500-1-61-rev-model-3-color-sunburst

15 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I’m not familiar with Paul’s Hofner Revolution Bass.. I am familiar with his Revolution period Ric Bass though..

Here is the recent reissue at Andy Babiuk.. He is a Beatles fanatic & is known for carrying very accurate versions of all the Guitars “The Beatles”played.. Why is it so different from the one Paul has in that picture? 

https://reverb.com/item/67310959-hofner-limited-edition-fab-gear-revolution-beatle-bass-500-1-61-rev-model-3-color-sunburst

Honestly the Andy Babiuk version is probably how Pauls bass should have been refinished. As the Andy version is beautiful.... But a Hofner bass shouldn't be $4000. 

On 5/29/2023 at 1:41 AM, Sheepdog1969 said:

First off,  WOW! Wow for your awesome collection, wow for your awesome wood work, wow for your awesome builds, and wow for your awesome attention to detail. (No joke, I expanded this picture to fit my big screen and stared at it whilst listening to classic vinyl for a few hours yesterday. I hope you are cool if I download it and use it as a "screen saver".) Your comment of not wanting to spend big $$ for the historic instruments in your collection, but instead choosing to creating them yourself, made me think of the "personal value" you instilled, ingrained, and imprinted onto/into these instruments, which is far more priceless.  As a "lefty", (but as one who chose to play "righty"), I appreciate the exponentially more difficult process of faithfully recreating "left handed" instruments. (I also fully understand the "Murphy's Law" principle you experienced,  as defined by your sander failing when it did.) I can only imagine that the tonal output characteristics of your art most likely exceeds the physical beauty of each piece. Strangely, I seem to find an equal desire to simply stare in amazement at your collection vs. playing each of them. Thank you so much for sharing your art with me/us, and in so doing, exposing yourself to the potential "slings and arrows" of arm chair internet critics. Well done, sir! 

Wow thank you.

I found a nice orbital buffer and I was able to get it nice and shiny. I'll post more images when I get home.

12 hours ago, duane v said:

Honestly the Andy Babiuk version is probably how Pauls bass should have been refinished. As the Andy version is beautiful.... But a Hofner bass shouldn't be $4000. 

I agree.. Nothing should be as expensive as it is.. Inflation has devalued Dollars.. Same amount of Materials & Labor go into making these Guitars (or whatever) the Dollars are just so devalued..