Gibson Brands Forums

RIP Gordon Lightfoot

saturn

I figured someone else would have already posted this but guess not. I remember as a kid, hearing The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald on the radio and being mesmerized by that song. He was a great songwriter to say the least. 

RIP Gordon.  

1 hour ago, Murph said:

He did what he loved and got paid well to do it.

A very small percentage of musicians from his era lived that long.

Well done, I say.

exactly. well said. and he never stopped playing ...

Great musician, singer, songwriter.  One of Canada's very finest.

I was fortunate to see him back in the 70s in London.

He had a good run. 

R.I.P. Mr Lightfoot, your music brought love and light to many, many people.

• Like 1

Damn!  Not until coming to this forum did I learn he died.  Heard nothing on the news or radio about it.

I've always felt bad for the people who despite being the same age as me, never hearing of him until "If you could read my mind" or "The Wreck Of Th Edmund Fitzgerald".  

"Early Morning Rain" was and still is a favorite of mine by him.   Not only a good songwriter, but with integrity.  When "Read My Mind" was still going strong, he was offered a ton of money by the Coty cosmetics firm to compose a song or songs for their radio commercials and he turned them down flat.  

Rest In Peace, Gordon.  Now you can write songs for the angels.

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Damn!  Not until coming to this forum did I learn he died.  Heard nothing on the news or radio about it.

I've always felt bad for the people who despite being the same age as me, never hearing of him until "If you could read my mind" or "The Wreck Of Th Edmund Fitzgerald".  

"Early Morning Rain" was and still is a favorite of mine by him.   Not only a good songwriter, but with integrity.  When "Read My Mind" was still going strong, he was offered a ton of money by the Coty cosmetics firm to compose a song or songs for their radio commercials and he turned them down flat.  

Rest In Peace, Gordon.  Now you can write songs for the angels.

Whitefang

always loved the Canadian Railroad trilogy ... Early Morning Rain a favorite too. 

5 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Wasn't "Sundown" supposedly a song about the woman who gave John Belushi that fatal dose of dope?

Whitefang

Yep. She was kinda known, in certain circles as bad news. 

"I can see her lying back in a satin dress, in a room where you do what you dont confess".

He had the sense to know he wanted no part of her.

Edited by Karloff
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Wasn't "Sundown" supposedly a song about the woman who gave John Belushi that fatal dose of dope?

Whitefang

I copied and googled your question.

Cathy Smith.  

She sings BVs on one track of the LP.

• Thanks 1