Gibson Brands Forums

What is it?

patmAcdonald

When i joined this forum and posted my question, i had no idea whether anyhone would reply, so I made my post as brief as possible. Since then, I've been so impressed with the number and quality of responses,  i feel more confident that i can add some back story. My brother is the previous owner. He died, and his widow (my sister-in-law) gave it to me and told me she knows Bill would have wanted me to  have it. I treasured it, of course, and played it now and then as part of grieving, but my main guitar was always my old '59 D28. Skip a few years and i got cancer and the 2 years of treatments almost killed me. My muscles were reduced to near zero and i couldn't even press down a chord, but one day, i picked up Bill's old Gibson and found its action very friendly to my hands, and the sound - even with decades-old strings - rang sweet and clear. It was like coming home (or something). This guitar eased me back into playing and i wrote/recorded an album on it. It's been a few years now and i'm still enjoying the feel and the sound, changing the strings as little as possible.  The longer i live with this " haunted" guitar, the more i wonder about the WHOLE story behind it. All i know is that Bill didn't buy it new. And he's not around to tell me anything about where or when he got it, what he did to it, etc.  It's a kind of tantalizing mystery to me. And i'm ok with not knowing certain things for sure, but it's heartening to know that others are interested and willing to help me with some probing, and to share insights. Please know, it means the world to me! Thanks!!! ❤️  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, patmAcdonald said:

When i joined this forum and posted my question, i had no idea whether anyhone would reply, so I made my post as brief as possible. Since then, I've been so impressed with the number and quality of responses,  i feel more confident that i can add some back story. My brother is the previous owner. He died, and his widow (my sister-in-law) gave it to me and told me she knows Bill would have wanted me to  have it. I treasured it, of course, and played it now and then as part of grieving, but my main guitar was always my old '59 D28. Skip a few years and i got cancer and the 2 years of treatments almost killed me. My muscles were reduced to near zero and i couldn't even press down a chord, but one day, i picked up Bill's old Gibson and found its action very friendly to my hands, and the sound - even with decades-old strings - rang sweet and clear. It was like coming home (or something). This guitar eased me back into playing and i wrote/recorded an album on it. It's been a few years now and i'm still enjoying the feel and the sound, changing the strings as little as possible.  The longer i live with this " haunted" guitar, the more i wonder about the WHOLE story behind it. All i know is that Bill didn't buy it new. And he's not around to tell me anything about where or when he got it, what he did to it, etc.  It's a kind of tantalizing mystery to me. And i'm ok with not knowing certain things for sure, but it's heartening to know that others are interested and willing to help me with some probing, and to share insights. Please know, it means the world to me! Thanks!!! ❤️  

What a great story. So glad your health is better,

Guitars are magical and they connect us with the living and the dead. 

• Thanks 1

Man that is a great story.

I love it when you can grab something that belonged to, or was given to you by, a dear friend or relative who has passed and you get that feeling like they are there.

I have gifts, or articles, that belonged to my Dad, my Uncle, and musician friends who have passed and I treasure them each and every one.

God Bless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, patmAcdonald said:

I lost my father-in-law, and mother to the Big C. 

Congrats on making it through. I've heard people say the treatment and what you go through fighting it is just as bad as Cancer or worse.

• Like 1

The thing about us older guys is we remember these guitars when they were hanging on music shop walls.  This may be why my definition of "vintage" is a guitar built before I could not have bought it brand spanking new assuming I had the scratch.  But back in 1967 when I was not as picky about neck carve, nut width, and string spacing at the bridge, I would have bought one in a New York minute if I could have come up with the money. 

The only instrument I owned which was handed down in the family is a violin which my grandfather had bought for my uncle in the late-1920s or 1930s to learn on and play in a school orchestra.  Just a cheap German-made factory fiddle but it was the instrument I learned to play on and later gigged with.  Sometime in the 1980s, I passed it forward and "loaned" it to a very close friend's young daughter who needed it for her school music program.  As I still could not seem to settle down and was moving around a lot, I never did get it back.

• Like 2

I don’t want to sound New Age-y (or even sacrilegious) and I know guitars are just tools, but I truly believe some of them have souls. Or at least they have some mysterious quality that connects the player to something that is bigger or older or wiser than we are.

• Like 1

Just now, dhanners623 said:

I don’t want to sound New Age-y (or even sacrilegious) and I know guitars are just tools, but I truly believe some of them have souls. Or at least they have some mysterious quality that connects the player to something that is bigger or older or wiser than we are.

Well . . . or maybe some were given a little bit of extra care when made. No 2 guitars, even the same model made side by side are exactly the same.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just now, DanvillRob said:

Say no more!

One day I got an message from a Mod to stop posting as L F, and my Sgt. profile would be reinstated in a day or two. That was a few days ago. You will have to ask the Mods why I was reinstated, as I did not ask to be. It was not explained to my why, only that I was going to get my Pepper profile back. Now all L F post are gone.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

18 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

One day I got an message from a Mod to stop posting as L F, and my Sgt. profile would be reinstated in a day or two. That was a few days ago. You will have to ask the Mods why I was reinstated, as I did not ask to be. It was not explained to my why, only that I was going to get my Pepper profile back. Now all L F post are gone.

How did they know LF was you?    Maybe the IP address?

Why were you banned?

There was a post recently the Administrator weighed in on....so I used the opportunity to ask them why my account was only a "Members" account....and somehow they changed it over to "All Access" like everyone else!   So they do good things.

27 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Why were you banned?

There was a post recently the Administrator weighed in on....so I used the opportunity to ask them why my account was only a "Members" account....and somehow they changed it over to "All Access" like everyone else!   So they do good things.

Not sure you will have to ask the mods. Big Bill and I think Karloff figured it out really quick and mentioned it in posts (which are now gone). The only post still around from L F are the ones where someone quoted me.  A mod may have read Big Bill or Karoff's posts. I think Pinch figured it out quickly too. Maybe someone messaged a mod and dropped a dime on me?

But . . . back on track. Pat Mac is a member here. How damn cool. Love his solos stuff, and the T 3 stuff too. How many people own a copy of PM Does DM here. I do. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2023 at 7:58 AM, fortyearspickn said:

PatMacD -   First, WELCOME ABOARD !   

Second -   Give a listen to a song by  Guy Clark -  "The Guitar".    It'll  peel away a few layers.   

One can easily find a video of Guy and Verlon playing this song. But... listen to THIS campfire story and rendition. Amazing story...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Why were you banned?

IP Address maybe, but what about when I log in at work, its not the same IP Address right? So . . .  

No idea how things work in Gibson's forum and no familiarity with the weird forum software that they use. However, I've been a moderator on several non-guitar sites for many years (including one with over a million members and tens of thousands of posts a day). IP addresses are one way to find multiple accounts, especially static IP's (where a device is always associated with the same address). Static IP's are relatively rare in the US, most internet services have a pool of addresses that are shared by many different people. And using an IP address has become less reliable at finding multiple registrations as VPN's become more popular - especially Apple's recent "private relay" feature (it can make you appear to be somewhere you aren't really located).

In the case where you used a different internet service in multiple locations, if you used the same device (a laptop, for example), the forum software might store a list of addresses it has used regardless of account. But I'd say (other than garden-variety spammers) it usually comes down to the moderators/administrators hunches. Everybody has their own writing style, favorite expressions, common grammatical/spelling errors and topics of interest that can give away multiple registrations. Then there are also "informants" who will sometimes report suspicions or inside knowledge of users who try to hide their identity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 4:38 PM, Dr. Blues said:

It looks like a 1970-1971 SJN Southern Jumbo Natural. Those early 70s models had that style if pick guard. No telling though. 

SJ in that period (1970-71) would be square shoulder body, not round shoulder as shown in the original post. SJ-SJN went square rather than round 1963 or so.

Also, SJ models always had some form of block fretboard inlay, rather than dots.

Edited by j45nick
added additional thought