Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Hummingbird legit?

Assault Bacon

Greetings, Eartlings.  

It's been a good bit of time since I've stopped by, but I could sure use an experienced eye, so I thought I'd ask you.

I'm presented with what appears to be a Gibson Hummingbird.  The owner cannot find a serial number (I asked for photos and see no sticker inside the sound hole.)

The guitar has no case - owner claims he accepted the guitar in exchange for work he'd done.

I guess two things bother me - I've never owned a Gibson acoustic, only electrics -

1. There's nothing on the back of the headstock.  Every picture I see has serial no. stamped in the headstock.

2. The story.  Payment for services rendered, but no case or anything with it?

Any thoughts?

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Assault Bacon

If it is a historic series guitar, there won't necessarily be a serial # on the back of the headstock, but there should be one at the neck block.  Also, hard to tell for one way or the other, but if that is a scarf joint I might see at the back of the headstock, then it is not a Gibson.  But truthfully, it looks legit other than that, and I could easily be wrong on the scarf joint, kinda hard to tell in that photo.

Doesn't look too good to me either.  Body shape is a little off (not enough waistline), and I've never seen a Gibson with that neck joint.  No sticker, no serial number probably not real.  But if it plays and sounds good, and is a good price might not be a bad guitar, just don't think it's a real Gibson.

Wise of U to pass - never seen anything like this semi-weido.

Then again strange things happened back on the track. This could be some idea from fx the fall of 1986, who knows, , , who on the whole planet recalls the autumn of 86. . . 

• 2 weeks later...