Gibson Brands Forums

Do theme parks have a better understanding of eliciting compliance than law enforcement

Sheepdog1969

When my daughter and I were enjoying Cedar Point amusement park for a few days last week, we both noticed something that is completely normal and routine for experienced park goers, (and is learned quickly by theme park novices), yet seems to be resisted by many in daily life.  Our observation led us both to a simple solution, regarding respect for Law enforcement.

A day at a "theme park", notoriously consists of waiting in line for over an hour for each 3 minute ride, if you are lucky.  As such, the "boarding" process, and the "off loading" process, at each "ride", when done efficiently by each rider, speeds up the "wait times" for said "attraction". Since no one likes waiting in line, it is amazing how attentive, diligent, and compliant 99%+ of "riders" are during these processes. Folks actually listen to instructions. They pay attention to the methods employed by riders ahead of them while boarding and off loading, in preparation for their own "turn". And, they are unquestioningly compliant when asked to do something by ride operators. They do all of this, selfishly, in order to experience each "ride" as quickly as possible.  These processes are similar at each "attraction", and they become almost routine. When the gates open for boarding, you take your seat as quickly as possible. You fasten your lap belt, (which you locate and pickup prior to sitting down), and you pull down the "lap bar"/shoulder restraint, (unless instructed not to do so).  When a ride operator approaches to verify that your restraints are secure, each rider, without hesitation, raises their hands in the air, thus allowing the operator to quickly view, (without obstruction), your restraints and adjust said, if necessary.  I can't remember ever hearing a ride operator asking a rider to "put their hands up", for this safety check. Folks just do it. Some rides are quite extreme, and may require items in pockets, eye glasses without "glasses stays", jewelry, etc. to be removed before riding. Not once have I heard anyone object to emptying their pockets or allowing themselves to be "patted down", prior to "ride launch". (ride operators are not concerned about what you may have in your pockets, they merely want to insure safety, and they will "stow" said items until you return to the "station".) More than once, I have seen 420 related paraphyllia handed to ride operators, which was then ,"blind-eye" returned after the ride. This level of unflinching compliance, adherence to mandates, and respect for authority, (bearing in mind that these "authorities" are often teenagers), is astounding. This, "toe the line" attitude, exists regardless of social class, race, religious affiliation, age, etc.. 

To often, in the "real world", armed Law Enforcement Officers receive no respect and no compliance to lawful orders, by those who fail to adhere to mandates/laws. My daughter and I wondered if LEO's would wear "Cedar Point",  "Six Flags", or similar Theme park uniforms, instead of "tactical gear", could they ellicit compliance levels comparable to that of the Cedar Point staff? Things that make you go hmmmm.

• Like 1

Here’s my take on cops. You jump in the squad car with them, and go on a ride along and see what they are really up against. Any of you tough guys here want to take on some nut job whacked out on Angel Dust? I’ll bet one night doing that, and you will see what they really do differently. My first wife’s brother was a cop. And a guy who was dusted broke his jaw after resisting arrest.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here’s my take on cops. You jump in the squad car with them, and go on a ride along and see what they are really up against. Any of you tough guys here want to take on some nut job whacked out on Angel Dust? I’ll bet one night doing that and you will see it differently. My first wife’s brother was a cop. And a guy who was dusted broke his jaw after resisting arrest.

You are correct. (Obviously my post was in jest, and simply pointing out the disparities in situational behavior) My Uncle was an Illinois State Trooper, my God father's son in law is Secret Service, and I have life long friends who are CPD. These officers put their lives on the line, daily, for less pay that Public School Teachers in Illinois. Per my post, these officers receive less respect than teen aged ride operators at theme parks. Due to some of the requirements associated with my specialized Consulting business, I frequently participate in training/qualification courses with local/regional law enforcement professionals. One Deputy Sherriff that I have trained with for 17 years now, has literally been on and off  "desk duty", due to injuries sustained in the field, for nearly 6 of the 17 years that I have known her. Not 6 years straight, mind you, but for a year or so every couple of years from being attacked, stabbed, run over, etc., by criminals. I saw her son just before we left for vacation, and he said she was recovering from being slashed by a criminal with an edged weapon. We defiantly back the blue in our house! 

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

. And a guy who was dusted broke his jaw after resisting arrest.

After?  Or during?  [wink]

4 hours ago, Murph said:

Most of the people in a theme park actually EARNED the money to pay admission, transportation, accommodations, food and drink.

People who EARN money have more respect for it.

True that.  But in slight opposition to Sheepdog's OP,  I've noticed the compliance to which he refers.  But not totally.  There was always at least ONE half wit who thought because he paid "good money" for all you mentioned felt he was entitled to special attention.   Not all that often thank goodness, but when you witness them it's sore thumb noticeable.   I remember one time(which still kinda tickles me) when waiting to get on some ride with my younger daughter(6 at the time)  we witnessed such a jerk wad bellowing loudly at the ride attendant about  how long it was taking him to get everything on the move.  It really wasn't all that long, but for him it was.  My daughter then tugged at my hand and motioned me to bend down so she could say something to me.  And when my ear was close enough she asked, "Why's he embarrassing his kids like that?"  and "Why don't they tell him to grow up?"    [laugh]

So Psalms 8:2  got it right.

Whitefang

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

After?  Or during?  [wink]

True that.  But in slight opposition to Sheepdog's OP,  I've noticed the compliance to which he refers.  But not totally.  There was always at least ONE half wit who thought because he paid "good money" for all you mentioned felt he was entitled to special attention.   Not all that often thank goodness, but when you witness them it's sore thumb noticeable.   I remember one time(which still kinda tickles me) when waiting to get on some ride with my younger daughter(6 at the time)  we witnessed such a jerk wad bellowing loudly at the ride attendant about  how long it was taking him to get everything on the move.  It really wasn't all that long, but for him it was.  My daughter then tugged at my hand and motioned me to bend down so she could say something to me.  And when my ear was close enough she asked, "Why's he embarrassing his kids like that?"  and "Why don't they tell him to grow up?"    [laugh]

So Psalms 8:2  got it right.

Whitefang

Probably both. He resisted first and then broke my ex-brother in laws jaw. He was in the hospital with it wired shut. 

• Thanks 1

I admire and respect BOTH the theme park employees, and Law Enforcement professionals.

That said, I have made it two of my life's goals to never, ever:

a. Go to a theme park
or
b. Become involved with Law Enforcement in any way, shape or form.

Life is simpler and less stressful this way.

😗

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BUT -

In the theme park you have paid to be thrilled/scared etc while being kept physically safe and unharmed.   It's voluntary; you agree to follow the rules.

Law enforcement = compulsory. 

On 6/23/2023 at 6:00 PM, sparquelito said:

I admire and respect BOTH the theme park employees, and Law Enforcement professionals.

That said, I have made it two of my life's goals to never, ever:

a. Go to a theme park
or
b. Become involved with Law Enforcement in any way, shape or form.

Life is simpler and less stressful this way.

😗

I very much agree with this. 

Edited by jdgm

I've had 2 ride-alongs, decades ago.  First, with a FL Highway Patrol officer on the Florida Turnpike.  Pursuing speeders over 100mph requires nerves of steel.   Second was with Houston Police Dept. in the 90s.  One call was to a knifing murder, witnesses described the  'alleged' killer who was fleeing on foot.  A dozen cop cars scrambling on both sides of the freeway to find him. We almost got T-boned by another patrol car as everyone was speeding to where  he was sighted.  Confirmed to me that my decision to NOT follow-up on being  accepted to join the NYPD 10 years earlier was right choice.   I follow the 'rules' of amusement parks, and do what the teenage summer hires tell me.  Sort of like a clerk at the DMV.   But I RESPECT what the police do.  And all that implies.  

Cops came in my place when I had a seizure looking for drugs yelling at my wife while her husband almost died while she's trying to go to the hospital.

Nuh-uh!  No cops here.  Go away.  Send me a letter saying you're sorry.  Bite me while you're at it.

Cop this!

On 6/25/2023 at 12:09 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

When your house gets broken into who are you gonna call Target? And what do you need when you get in a fender bender - a police report for the insurance company. Those guys put themselves on the line everyday. Are there bad cops out there, yes. Are there bad doctors  and lawyers, and guitar players, why yes there are. What about politicians any of them bad? In droves. No one is a saint. Except a saint, but that only happens after you die.

Lighten up, Francis.  Cops are fine.  So are you.  And the lot of you can be PITA's, and that's the point.  You pose like them?  

6 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

Lighten up, Francis.  Cops are fine.  So are you.  And the lot of you can be PITA's, and that's the point.  You pose like them?  

I think the Sarge should stick his big toe in your . . .  (see what I did, I saw Stripes too).  Cops, their bad until you need them huh? In my daily life I interact with cops almost never. I guess cause I'm not out doing bad stuff to warrants interaction.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, duane v said:

I think most of us can agree the Law Enforcement profession is a "dammed if you do and dammed if you don't" situation.

It's been very difficult for law enforcement, especially the last 8 years for our folks in blue. 

You are right. Its got to be one of the toughest jobs on the planet. We take them for granted until we need/want them, and when we do we want them at the scene NOW.

55 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You are right. Its got to be one of the toughest jobs on the planet. We take them for granted until we need/want them, and when we do we want them at the scene NOW.

Two of my very dear friends are police officers and they do understand the average good citizen takes them for granted and that's not what bothers them. It's when leaders at the top of the food chain do not publicly denounce violence, or in some cases promote it against law enforcement. It sends a horrible message to people that have little to no common sense, or the completely stupid that it's okay to abuse law enforcement.