Gibson Brands Forums

We all get older, right?

sparquelito

This thread is actually more interesting than I thought it would be....hope no one got "Perma-banned" for any of their responses!

I was never a big druggie, (even though that was a hallmark of my generation), and I never took up smoking....never though it was smart to grind up a leaf, pack it in a small piece of paper.....stick it in my mouth then light it on fire!

I did my share of drinking, but never got to the point where I couldn't go for months without any alcohol.

At my age, I try to stay off ladders, (maybe 6' is my limit), I don't drive fast, I don't try to jog anywhere....I just move at a slow and deliberate pace.

I eat pretty good....and now that I'm retired, I get a lot of rest, (@ 7 hours per night).

Was in 'Nam, and did a lot of scary stuff there...but that's in the past...53 years ago! 

Was a Varsity Wrestler and Pole Vaulters in high school (until I found being in a band could get you girls by the handfull!).    Would never attempt that again.

On the rare occasion I play a gig, my wife keeps a close eye on me, even though I've never taken any girl up on their solicitations.

Guess I'm just a typical 'old man'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

when I was little I'd crawl up onto the rear deck of my dads old Plymouth. when he would brake i'd roll off and slam into the back of the front seat. it was a lot of fun. he'd laugh too. lol.  ponds were still clean enough to swim in. swimming in streams in the woods behind my house, catching salamanders, playing baseball till it was so dark you could barely see the ball , the baseball was 3/4 electrical tape cuz the stitching was busting loose. cracked bats nailed n taped together. you had to hold them just right or it would sting your hands when you hit the ball. letting the water run from the garden hose till it got cold. building ramps to run your bike off of cuz Knievel just made another jump.  being gone all day long without your parents freaking out.  

Ha!  Yeah, laying on that package rack was a nice ride.  Until, like you said, Dad hit heavy on the brake.  [biggrin]

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How did my generation drink from a garden hose and not come home till the street lights were on and survive?

Yeah.  And ride bikes without wearing helmets, knee pads and elbow pads.  [omg]

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Remember those 2 seats with no seat belt of course in the back of the Subaru Brat?

I wouldn't remember those because when I was a kid we didn't own a Japanese vehicle.  In fact, nobody ANYWHERE owned a Japanese vehicle until I was in my mid teens.  [wink]

Whitefang

6 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Ha!  Yeah, laying on that package rack was a nice ride.  Until, like you said, Dad hit heavy on the brake.  [biggrin]

Yeah.  And ride bikes without wearing helmets, knee pads and elbow pads.  [omg]

I wouldn't remember those because when I was a kid we didn't own a Japanese vehicle.  In fact, nobody ANYWHERE owned a Japanese vehicle until I was in my mid teens.  [wink]

Whitefang

My dad owned a 2-seat Pontiac "Business Coupe".... my sister and I both rode in the back....there wasn't a deck, but a kind of 'pouch'.... sometimes my sister rode sitting between my parents....but I always rode in the pouch!

• Like 1

I didn't really address drinking or drug use in my original "dicey things" posting.

Seems like a subject all unto itself, though it certainly is a dicey proposition for most of us.

I have been a beer drinker since around age 4.
My Army dad would let us little kids take a sip off his cold Falstaff or Schlitz from the get-go, and it sure tasted good to us.
In the summers, when our dad had us toiling in the heat, and mowing and trimming the yard at whatever quarters or duty station, it was natural to go into the kitchen at the end of the work day and crack a cold beer.

None of us thought much of it, and it was no big deal.
Later, in the teenage years, when other boys had purloined some alcohol, and invited me to 'get F#%ed up with them, I normally passed.
I didn't drink with amateurs.

Over in Germany in my junior high years, I tried some marijuana and hashish, but it really never did a thing for me. Didn't care for it, and never did it again.

Once I was serving and flying in the Army, I became a bourbon drinker, and that was a steady thing throughout the military years.
Army Aviators, fly, drink, f#%k around with women, drink some more, and repeat the next day.
It was the culture.

In my 40's I finally gave up whiskey and all hard liquors.
I liked it too much, you see.
Easy to give it up before I died from it.

Switched back to beer. First good dark beers, and then later light, low-carb beers (for weight control).

I still have cold light beers in the evenings.
Never during the day.
And never Bud Lite.  (Bud products = headaches the next morning. Yuk.)

I have never smoked cigarettes.
I have my dad to thank for that too, I reckon.
He chain-smoked Salems, and us boys had to clean up after him, empty the ash trays, pick up the butts in the yards, and shovel out the mountains of cigarette butts and ashes out of whatever car he drove.
It was a filthy disgusting job, and it convinced me to never, ever smoke.

I guess I'll shut up now.
😐

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

I didn't really address drinking or drug use in my original "dicey things" posting.

Seems like a subject all unto itself, though it certainly is a dicey proposition for most of us.

I have been a beer drinker since around age 4.
My Army dad would let us little kids take a sip off his cold Falstaff or Schlitz from the get-go, and it sure tasted good to us.
In the summers, when our dad had us toiling in the heat, and mowing and trimming the yard at whatever quarters or duty station, it was natural to go into the kitchen at the end of the work day and crack a cold beer.

None of us thought much of it, and it was no big deal.
Later, in the teenage years, when other boys had purloined some alcohol, and invited me to 'get F#%ed up with them, I normally passed.
I didn't drink with amateurs.

Over in Germany in my junior high years, I tried some marijuana and hashish, but it really never did a thing for me. Didn't care for it, and never did it again.

Once I was serving and flying in the Army, I became a bourbon drinker, and that was a steady thing throughout the military years.
Army Aviators, fly, drink, f#%k around with women, drink some more, and repeat the next day.
It was the culture.

In my 40's I finally gave up whiskey and all hard liquors.
I liked it too much, you see.
Easy to give it up before I died from it.

Switched back to beer. First good dark beers, and then later light, low-carb beers (for weight control).

I still have cold light beers in the evenings.
Never during the day.
And never Bud Lite.  (Bud products = headaches the next morning. Yuk.)

I have never smoked cigarettes.
I have my dad to thank for that too, I reckon.
He chain-smoked Salems, and us boys had to clean up after him, empty the ash trays, pick up the butts in the yards, and shovel out the mountains of cigarette butts and ashes out of whatever car he drove.
It was a filthy disgusting job, and it convinced me to never, ever smoke.

I guess I'll shut up now.
😐

I was in sea going services so instead of flying I sailed. I did all the things sailors gets accused of doing. I was young,  dumb and well you know the rest. Now I’m 56 and still dumb, but with a different job.

Love me some bourbon. Scotch and vodka too. Gin is for the real alcoholics. I’m part time.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I was in sea going services so instead of flying I sailed. I did all the things sailors gets accused of doing. I was young,  dumb and well you know the rest. Now I’m 56 and still dumb, but with a different job.

Love me some bourbon. Scotch and vodka too. Gin is for the real alcoholics. I’m part time.

I've preferred scotch for the most part. Recently I've rediscovered rum. Specifically navy rum. In my 20s there was Woods Navy rum which was pretty good. These days its Pussers (a mispronunciation of Purser) Rum. Its the real deal and comes in several strengths.

• Like 1

I feel like I gave up hangovers more than drinking... I don't put a label on it, it's just not something I think about, so... The bad far outweighs the good these days, so for now, perfectly content not drinking alcohol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I've preferred scotch for the most part. Recently I've rediscovered rum. Specifically navy rum. In my 20s there was Woods Navy rum which was pretty good. These days its Pussers (a mispronunciation of Purser) Rum. Its the real deal and comes in several strengths.

I had Pusser's  in Tortola. It is vile. I liked Appleton from Jamaica. I lived in Puerto Rico for 2 years while in the Coast Guard. Had rum form all over the islands. Don Q from P R is good stuff. Bacardi is not. I took the factory tour of Bacardi ever time someone visited me in P R. Pusser's Bar in Road Town, Tortola makes a drink called a Painkiller and it has rum in it, or more rum in it, or even more rum that more rum in it. Hence the name. A few of those and watch out.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just now, DanvillRob said:

Might give you some pains elsewhere too!

Ha ha ha ha!
I get it.

No, my older brother used to drink straight up Budweiser, and he and his wife still drink Bud Lite.

I tried both, quite a few years ago, the results the next morning were always the same.
Headache, rumbly gut, and a lousy day.

Maybe it's Anheuser-Busch's famous beechwood aging process.
Whatever it is, it doesn't agree with me.

🤔

4 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Ha ha ha ha!
I get it.

No, my older brother used to drink straight up Budweiser, and he and his wife still drink Bud Lite.

I tried both, quite a few years ago, the results the next morning were always the same.

🤔

I was never much of a beer drinker....used to stop by the local watering hole on Friday's after work with the guys and drink some....but not much.   I do keep a 6-pack of Modelo Lite in glass bottles in my fridge, but drink it very rarely.

When I was young, in my drinking days, I drank Wild Turkey....when my wife and I got together she said when I drink I turn into a wild turkey....so I quit.

Now.... because i have all the time to do all the things I want, we usually have a Tequila Sunrise with our breakfast, (breakfast is as much of a 'new thing' to me as the TS!), and I have a  Long Drink with dinner....then one gin & tonic after....my doctor was not happy that I normally drink 3 drinks per day....but it is what it is.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Ha ha ha ha!
I get it.

🤔

They use beachwood, what ever that is in the process. So I guess wood soaks in the nasty so called beer they are making. A B also uses rice in the process of making that trash. They Germans would never stand for it.

When in St. Louis in the mid 80's visiting a friend we went on the A B Tour of the factory. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I had Pusser's  in Tortola. It is vile. I liked Appleton from Jamaica. I lived in Puerto Rico for 2 years while in the Coast Guard. Had rum form all over the islands. Don Q from P R is good stuff. Bacardi is not. I took the factory tour of Bacardi ever time someone visited me in P R. Pusser's Bar in Road Town, Tortola makes a drink called a Painkiller and it has rum in it, or more rum in it, or even more rum that more rum in it. Hence the name. A few of those and watch out.

While in PR, did you ever have home made Coquito? It's the only alcoholic beverage I drink. Unfortunately, I have to wait for Christmas time. That's when all my Puerto Rican friends and acquaintances make the stuff. Everyone has a different recipe and my only complaint is when they put too much rum in it.

5 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

While in PR, did you ever have home made Coquito? It's the only alcoholic beverage I drink. Unfortunately, I have to wait for Christmas time. That's when all my Puerto Rican friends and acquaintances make the stuff. Everyone has a different recipe and my only complaint is when they put too much rum in it.

I just looked at what it is. I can not stand coconut and know I never had it. I'm a scotch/vodka/bourbon on the rocks guy.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Its true that there's no accounting for taste. The worst tasting spirit I ever tried was Wild Turkey. Not keen on Ouzo either.

I have been to the Caribbean several times and am familiar with the Island rums. I haven't found a bad one yet. I think a Painkiller is just a rum cocktail with fruit juices, coconut & nutmeg. 

Yes if you use the double strength stuff (Pussers is76% if I recall) you need caution! The gunpowder proof is 54%. I'm just using the regular 40% blue label. I don't drink a lot of spirit. I can leave it alone for weeks at a time. I've got most sorts in the sideboard when I need to play host. 

Nothing amuses me more than drunks "discussing" which is the best thing to abuse your liver with.  [biggrin]  And there really isn't a "best" or "worst" beer, ale or liquor.  The opinion changes from one drunk to another. And their taste buds and brain cells are so pickled they haven't the slightest idea what the f**k they're talking about.  

Look.  I understand.  I went through that phase 50 or so years ago.  Michigan changed the legal drinking age from 21 to 18 on Jan. 1st, 1972.  Oddly enough the same year I would have turned 21 anyway.  So big whup.  Well, one afternoon while sitting in a bar across from where my apartment was, it dawned on me that I had just paid the price of a six pack at my closest beer and wine store.  and for only ONE BEER!  So, I quit going to bars since I found I could drink cheaper at home, get just as buzzed,   and I get to play the music I prefer.    I also noticed that Icould smoke all the "herb" I wanted and wake up next morning feeling just fine.  But I couldn't drink all the beer, wine or liquor I wanted to at night and feel anything but sick as a dog next morning.  Plus I never liked the feeling of being drunk.  so I gave it up.  My only "liquor"  intake since 1976 has been only wine(preferably Opici Lambrusco and a Reisling Spatlese) and an occasional beer(Lowenbrau Dark) nursed for an hour or two.  And maybe the occasional celebratory glass of Asti Spumante to ring in the new year.    And BTW......Michigan changed their legal drinking age back to 21 by the mid '70's.  I can't remember whenever it was that I had my last alcoholic drink of anything.

Whitefang

14 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Its true that there's no accounting for taste. The worst tasting spirit I ever tried was Wild Turkey. Not keen on Ouzo either.

I have been to the Caribbean several times and am familiar with the Island rums. I haven't found a bad one yet. I think a Painkiller is just a rum cocktail with fruit juices, coconut & nutmeg. 

Yes if you use the double strength stuff (Pussers is76% if I recall) you need caution! The gunpowder proof is 54%. I'm just using the regular 40% blue label. I don't drink a lot of spirit. I can leave it alone for weeks at a time. I've got most sorts in the sideboard when I need to play host. 

There are so many better bourbons than Wild Turkey its usually 101 proof. I've had Ouzo. I think they make it with grapes. It's yukky.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

There are so many better bourbons than Wild Turkey its usually 101 proof. I've had Ouzo. I think they make it with grapes. It's yukky.

I still have a bottle of 107 proof Wild Turkey.... was given to my sweet (departed) sister-in-law right after I quit drinking it.   Still in the bar....she probably gave it to me 40 years ago!

Edited by DanvillRob

1 minute ago, DanvillRob said:

I still have a bottle of 107 proof Wild Turkey.... was given to my sweet (departed) sister-in-law right after I quit drinking it.   Still in the bar....she probably gave it to me 40 years ago!

That will put hair in and on places you don't want.