Gibson Brands Forums

We all get older, right?

sparquelito

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I thought I had a bottle of Absinth in the bar, but it turned out to be an unopened bottle of Anisette.    One day I may try it.

When I was a kid, maybe between the ages of 6 to 10, when I would visit my (very Italian) Grandmother. She would give me a shot of Anisette and in her very poor English she'd tell me: "Drink it, it tastes like Licorice." Also my father would give me sips of his beer (he was a Schmitt's guy) all the time. Maybe, that's why I don't drink.

• Like 1

I hate that taste.    Anise, fennel....ugh.

Anyway, we all get older, right?   I turned 69 today.   I bought a bottle of Calvados and some nice food.   Tonight was a double portion of lamb rogan josh with plain basmati rice,  Guinness West Indian Porter and Foreign Extra.

I had a disastrous tooth extraction yesterday - an old filled molar and it broke off leaving the roots in.   The anaesthetic didn't entirely work so it was agonizing.  Fortunately (after a night of truly intense pain) the antibiotics and painkillers have calmed it down.  I paid £99  for that. 

Am being referred to a hospital dental unit to get the roots out and this is what we in England call a bloody nuisance.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Anyway, we all get older, right?   I turned 69 today.   I bought a bottle of Calvados and some nice food.   Tonight was a double portion of lamb rogan josh with plain basmati rice,  Guinness West Indian Porter and Foreign Extra.

I had a disastrous tooth extraction yesterday - an old filled molar and it broke off leaving the roots in.   The anaesthetic didn't entirely work so it was agonizing.  Fortunately (after a night of truly intense pain) the antibiotics and painkillers have calmed it down.  I paid £99  for that. 

Am being referred to a hospital dental unit to get the roots out and this is what we in England call a bloody nuisance.

Happy birthday, old sport.

Hoping it all heals up, and that you get to enjoy some good leftovers.

😛

• Thanks 1

Risky, stupid, things I can't or wont do anymore,

If you don't count drinking, drugs, smoking, living on the streets, fighting, screwing everything in sight, construction/demo, flying, street racing, motor cycles, hiking, sports, and being an all around a××.

Yea, I'm drawing a blank here. Sorry.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2023 at 4:50 AM, ksdaddy said:

Drinking and smoking are long gone. I have a very hard time being under cars now. I get queasy and sometimes it gets bad enough where I have to go take a short nap with the fan on. It’s only when I’m under a car. The only thing that stands out as far as activities is that I will no longer ride my motorcycle on the main roads. The thought of meeting 18 wheelers at 60 mph bothers me. I almost never take the Gold Wing out. It’s a monster. My big mouth 883 Sportster at 40 mph on the back roads is pleasant. 

Our son gave up his bike long ago. He claims Omaha is the worst for riding bikes. Pot holes, chuck holes and sand is all over all the streets. My Uncle had a bike when I was a small kid. He would give me rides on it. He would play Evil Knievel and try jumps and stuff on it. I fell off that bike many times, Him screwing around on it. So I grew up hating them. 

On 6/28/2023 at 8:18 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I could do that,  but so many people conceal carry here I would rather not get a gun pointed at me. I still don't understand the confusion, and if you are type word and ask me explain it better.

I think you live in Texas, but no I have no clue? South Cacalaci?

Nope - learned to drive in "Greater"  New York.  Before they had such things as Left Turn Arrows, and  "Right Turn on Red". Or seat belts for that matter.  

On 6/28/2023 at 3:43 PM, Pinch said:

I'm better at ignoring (IMO) stupid people, rather than trying to debate them or teach them things. It's a waste of time. 

My wife was a teacher. They had a saying, "Never teach a Pig to sing, It both wastes your time and annoys the Pig." Always remembered that. At BNSF I had a friend that was serious about wanting to learn how to play chess. I spent 3 months basicaly trying to teach him how the pieces move. Trying to get past that, I was always going back saying, Thats an illegal move! You can't move that way. Anyway, That's what I ended up telling him. Lol. Chess was NOT HIS GAME AND HE COULDN'T LEARN. No wonder, every single day he had to be retrained at work I heard. 

6 hours ago, Retired said:

My wife was a teacher. They had a saying, "Never teach a Pig to sing, It both wastes your time and annoys the Pig." Always remembered that. At BNSF I had a friend that was serious about wanting to learn how to play chess. I spent 3 months basicaly trying to teach him how the pieces move. Trying to get past that, I was always going back saying, Thats an illegal move! You can't move that way. Anyway, That's what I ended up telling him. Lol. Chess was NOT HIS GAME AND HE COULDN'T LEARN. No wonder, every single day he had to be retrained at work I heard. 

A lot of truth to that saying... It took me a while to learn. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jdgm said:

Happy Birthday. I hope you get some relief, dental pain is usually pretty intense. At least that area of the body heals quick.

• Thanks 1

I don't know of anywhere over here that has a hospital dental unit.  Not for roughly 60 + years.  For your procedure here you'd be referred to an Oral Surgeon.  I had to get similar work done in '71.  My Grandmother took me to get it done.  The surgeon knocked me out with sodium pentothal.   Next thing I remember was the nurse helping my Grandmother drag my dead butt to her car while all the time I kept telling the nurse how beautiful she was. [biggrin]

Whitefang

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2023 at 9:29 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

You served to if I'm not mistaken.

I always hated being thanked for it . I joined the service for me and no one else. I needed to get my life together and that is what I did. Got paid, traveled the world, and learned a trade. And had a smile on my face you couldn't chisel off when in places like the Philippines and Thailand.

What a messed up response. My gratitude was not directed to you, why you felt obligated to respond is  weird to say the least . In the future, please keep your comments to my post to yourself. 

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Pinch said:

A lot of truth to that saying... It took me a while to learn. 

Guess it was an inside joke among teachers. They all said it. I was invited to a lot of teacher parties way back. They had some pretty hilarious teachers. 

3 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

I got laid by one of my teachers in high school. It's illegal to get caught now so......🙃

I'll tell you a true story about one of my teachers.   When I was a freshman at one school, I had a very young teacher for English...she was maybe 21-22 at the time.....was a kind of hippie, (this was 1963).   In fact, she introduced me to Dylan!   Anyway, in my sophomore year, I had the same teacher....but for History.   My Junior year, I was transferred to another newly built school....and the way it was set up was that every morning we had 1/2 hour  "Home Room" class....and this teacher, (Miss Shaw) was transferred too and was my home room teacher.   Of course, she was also my home room teacher in my Senior year.   I was kind of a wisea$$ in school. and graduated with a "B" average.   After I got out of the Army, I went back to school and got a business degree.   Shortly after that I met my wife....she came from a moderately rich family.    So.... 10 years or so go by, and I'd always noticed that one of the tenants in my mother-in-law's houses was an "Ethel Mae Shaw"....and I was pretty sure it was the same 'Miss Shaw'.   One day my MIL asked me to install smoke detectors in some of her rentals....and Ethyl Mae Shaw's house was one of them.    When I went to her door,  I knew I wanted to tell her how much she meant to me, and that I had gone on to college, was a successful business man, and was married to her landlord's daughter.   She answered the door, and of course it was her..... I put the smoke detector in her bedroom, and she never said a word.... as I was leaving, I couldn't help myself....I said to her....(after all, she was my teacher for all 4 years of high school)...Do you remember me?   She said, "Of course....you never were a very good student!".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I used to be a runner.

In the 1980's I played a lot of tennis, but in the 1990's thru 2010, I was a runner.
I generally ran 2 or 3 miles every other day, and would often train up to half-marathon distances whenever an event was coming up.

In the last few years of my first marriage, things were really lousy and sad at home.
All the marriage counseling in the world had failed, and so we were in a miserable stalemate.

During that time, I ran a lot of distance. Every other day.
I look back on those days, and realize that back then I was running away from home.

Being out there running miles and miles down the side of country roads was hours and hours away from the misery at home, and the stony silences. The dark moods, the angry fights and recrimination.

1997 brought an unexpected promotion, a transfer to Hawaii, and a long overdue divorce.
It was a God-send.
Everything changed. Life changed.
Even running changed.

I still ran, but the need for distance fell off.
I was happy. I surfed longboards on the North Shore. Every day.
I ran around with carefree, joyous surfer girls and triathletes.
I flew Army helicopters and drank cold beers with good buddies.
I found joy and peace.

Eventually, years later, my arthritic knees and hips forced me to stop running.
I now swim cardio laps, a lot. Five or six times a week.
I quit flying too of course, at retirement six months ago.

It's a source of reflection now, to watch runners go by.
To look up in the sky, and watch helicopters fly by.

If you ask me do I miss it (the running, and/or the flying helicopters), I'll just shrug and say, "NAH.  I don't miss it one bit."

Because there's a time for everything.
And my time for all that has come and gone.
And it's okay.

😐

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

If you ask me do I miss it (the running, and/or the flying helicopters), I'll just shrug and say, "NAH.  I don't miss it one bit."

And it's okay.

😐

You've put into words my feelings about such things too. But its also good having reached a stage of life where its time to do things differently and even do new things. Such as reading books that you never got around to, or learning to dance or take on a different job. In Farnsbarns 'driving' thread, I said I'd reached the stage where I don't speed anymore. Since retirement I've learned all the footpaths that you find when you walk (rather than drive everywhere). 

Yes the stuff we left behind was fine for 'then'. I dont miss motorcycles, nor hair, nor being drunk.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

I used to be a runner.

In the 1980's I played a lot of tennis, but in the 1990's thru 2010, I was a runner.
I generally ran 2 or 3 miles every other day, and would often train up to half-marathon distances whenever an event was coming up.

In the last few years of my first marriage, things were really lousy and sad at home.
All the marriage counseling in the world had failed, and so we were in a miserable stalemate.

During that time, I ran a lot of distance. Every other day.
I look back on those days, and realize that back then I was running away from home.

Being out there running miles and miles down the side of country roads was hours and hours away from the misery at home, and the stony silences. The dark moods, the angry fights and recrimination.

1997 brought an unexpected promotion, a transfer to Hawaii, and a long overdue divorce.
It was a God-send.
Everything changed. Life changed.
Even running changed.

I still ran, but the need for distance fell off.
I was happy. I surfed longboards on the North Shore. Every day.
I ran around with carefree, joyous surfer girls and triathletes.
I flew Army helicopters and drank cold beers with good buddies.
I found joy and peace.

Eventually, years later, my arthritic knees and hips forced me to stop running.
I now swim cardio laps, a lot. Five or six times a week.
I quit flying too of course, at retirement six months ago.

It's a source of reflection now, to watch runners go by.
To look up in the sky, and watch helicopters fly by.

And it's okay.

😐

Squirrel,  what chopper(s) did you fly and when?   Of course, in 'Nam we flew on choppers all the time...when ever we needed to travel long distances, (we were an air-mobile artillery unit).   I once was on a Chinook that had a "hard landing"..... wasn't shot down, but had a mechanical failure of some kind....I was just a passenger, so when we were on the deck, I just walked away....I actually saw a high school buddy's chopper go down, but at the time I didn't know he was the co-pilot on it....I read about it in the local newspaper weeks later.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Squirrel,  what chopper(s) did you fly and when?   Of course, in 'Nam we flew on choppers all the time...when ever we needed to travel long distances, (we were an air-mobile artillery unit).   I once was on a Chinook that had a "hard landing"..... wasn't shot down, but had a mechanical failure of some kind....I was just a passenger, so when we were on the deck, I just walked away....I actually saw a high school buddy's chopper go down, but at the time I didn't know he was the co-pilot on it....I read about it in the local newspaper weeks later.

Thank you for your service in Vietnam, Rob.
Thank God you made it home alive.

I flew, over the past 44+ years:
TH-55's - 1978
OH-58A and OH-58C's - 1978 to 1989
OH-58D's - 1989 to 2017
UH-1H's - 2007 to 2016
Bell 407 - 2010 to 2016
UH-72A's - 2015 to 2020
Bell 206's - 2020 to December 2022

I'm blessed to have never crashed one or even been in any sort of accident.

Just lucky I guess.

🫠

21 hours ago, Big Bill said:

What a messed up response. My gratitude was not directed to you, why you felt obligated to respond is  weird to say the least . In the future, please keep your comments to my post to yourself. 

Ah we have a self appointed moderator. Just block me then you can’t see me posts. Easy. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

Thank you for your service in Vietnam, Rob.
Thank God you made it home alive.

I flew, over the past 44+ years:
TH-55's - 1978
OH-58A and OH-58C's - 1978 to 1989
OH-58D's - 1989 to 2017
UH-1H's - 2007 to 2016
Bell 407 - 2010 to 2016
UH-72A's - 2015 to 2020
Bell 206's - 2020 to December 2022

I'm blessed to have never crashed one or even been in any sort of accident.

Just lucky I guess.

🫠

Bless you for your long service.  
not sure what the proper names are for the choppers we had in ‘Nam….but we flew ‘Slicks’, ‘Chinooks’, ‘Rangers’, ‘Cobras’ ( I never rode on those), and ‘Super Hooks’ (used to haul heavy loads….what my buddy was killed flying).    Marines had different machines    

• Like 1

Young pup. AF. First assignment. Working on a transient Huey. Completed, went for test flight. Thought "this is gonna be great". Pilot took it up bout 10ft, wobbled from lt to rt and set it down. I shouted "that's it?". Everyone laughed. Duh moment. Not like fixed wing. Most everything flight control wise can be tested at hover. Arg...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I'm blessed to have never crashed one or even been in any sort of accident

All of us ground crew were damn proud to have sent you pilots up in the safest airchines in the world. Strange proud feeling for entire air crew everytime y'all made it back after being in harms way but well.

The best days of my life anyway. I'd do it all over again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How sad is this. I used to, religiously, wax my car by hand twice a year. I did not just apply a coat of wax, and remove it, but would do a "wax Cleaner" coat, a Polish coat, and a Finish wax coat. 2 years ago that process left me in severe pain for a week. So, thinking I would make it easier on myself, I bought a quality orbital buffer. That would make it easier, right? Except the buffer is not light, and the process of reaching out and holding it, especially for the roof and center areas of my car, resulted in similar, days long agony. This year I hired a neighbor kid who is a car guy to do it for me, using my tools and materials. Being a supervisor is far less painful. He did a great job for $100, some Gatorade, and lunch!

• Like 1