Gibson Brands Forums

We all get older, right?

sparquelito

We tried this one already and a certain member had to take it to an area that was just uncalled for. Basically this member will be perma-banned by tomorrow. 

For now this thread will stay active but will be heavily moderated until further notice

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

I still do everything I used to do. But, every now and then, I stop and say to myself: "You're to old to be doing this". Then I go back to what I was doing.  I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse, but I still act like I'm in my twenties and that was 40 years ago.

1 hour ago, jvi said:

used to drink wiskey, cant and wont anymore,  wouldnt  try heroin

I almost went to my step son’s funeral due to junk. He shot up drove about a quarter mile and passed out driving. Luckily he drove into a open field and someone saw him and called the cops. I hate that trash. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I used to do a lot of things I don't do anymore. Racing my car down the quarter mile. (I was Points leader.) The car went on a wild wheel stand off the line breaking the wheelie bars, and my wife kept pressuring me to quit. Tried surfing, Been up in helicopter rides, Used to do roofing and painting when I was laid off from the RailRoad.  I've painted Commercial, Residential, Apartments. Don't go up on ladders anymore. If I had another race car? I would try it outLol. Would not go out in the ocean anymore. Mostly my wife put an end to most things. I hardly do Art work anymore. Still play one chess game everynight on my Kasparov computer. 

• Like 2

Drinking and smoking are long gone. I have a very hard time being under cars now. I get queasy and sometimes it gets bad enough where I have to go take a short nap with the fan on. It’s only when I’m under a car. The only thing that stands out as far as activities is that I will no longer ride my motorcycle on the main roads. The thought of meeting 18 wheelers at 60 mph bothers me. I almost never take the Gold Wing out. It’s a monster. My big mouth 883 Sportster at 40 mph on the back roads is pleasant. 

• Like 2

I never got extreme risk taking. Just because you’re young too doesn’t mean you can make every mistake in the book and repent when you get older. Some mistakes people make in life shouldn’t be made IMHO. To each and to their own though I say… Living itself is basically a risk, but where one can decide to minimize the risk of death/severe injury might be a wise choice. Sorry, I’m being a party pooper here haha!

I once heard a saying that a wise man learns from their mistakes, but a wiser man learns from others’ mistakes. 

• Like 3

Besides drinking and driving and smoking and drugs and motorcycles, I can't work off a ladder anymore over about 12 feet.

I did construction and demolition work all throughout the 80's and 90's, used walk boards and walked the beams with a spud bar and bolt bag, but now my equilibrium is shot.

I can literally fall off a sidewalk...

• Like 1

When in the military I never did anything risky at all. 

Once I floated around on my Navy ship in the Persian Gulf when we had to go over and fight this guy named Sodomy Insane. 6 months of my life I can't get back. But hey I got to go to Thailand before and after the war. 

• Like 2

I still do everything I used to do except weed, coke, acid & cigarettes.  I've never ridden / driven on the autobahn, but I ride my Harley 100 mph down back roads from time to time.

well, scratch that, I never go in the ocean anymore unless I'm wading out to cast while surf fishing. even then I'm looking around lol. 

Edited by Karloff

12 hours ago, duane v said:

We tried this one already and a certain member had to take it to an area that was just uncalled for. Basically this member will be perma-banned by tomorrow. 

For now this thread will stay active but will be heavily moderated until further notice

darn it, I miss all the excitement ...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Karloff said:

, scratch that, I never go in the ocean anymore unless I'm wading out to cast while surf fishing. even then I'm looking around lol. 

We watched Jaws the other night.

Such a classic.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

When in the military I never did anything risky at all. 

Once I floated around on my Navy ship in the Persian Gulf when we had to go over and fight this guy named Sodomy Insane. 6 months of my life I can't get back. But hey I got to go to Thailand before and after the war. 

I served in the first gulf war as well.
Six and a half months we were deployed down there.

Plenty of risk (flying in very hostile environments, getting shot at, nearly landing on land-mines, having SCUD missiles launched at us, etc), but I never thought to list that on my 'Dicey Things' chart.

I  mean, it was an all-volunteer Army, and I was being paid to be there and do a job.
😗

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Karloff said:

I would like to say April 16th of this year I've been drug free for 29 years.  life is relatively calm & quiet these days.  

Id like to say congratulations !  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

I served in the first gulf war as well.
Six and a half months we were deployed down there.

Plenty of risk (flying in very hostile environments, getting shot at, nearly landing on land-mines, having SCUD missiles launched at us, etc), but I never thought to list that on my 'Dicey Things' chart.

I  mean, it was an all-volunteer Army, and I was being paid to be there and do a job.
😗

Thank you for your service.

3 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Thank you for your service.

You served to if I'm not mistaken.

I always hated being thanked for it . I joined the service for me and no one else. I needed to get my life together and that is what I did. Got paid, traveled the world, and learned a trade. And had a smile on my face you couldn't chisel off when in places like the Philippines and Thailand.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1