Gibson Brands Forums

New Hummingbird!

Gasman

LvmtSx2.jpg

Well about a week ago I purchased a New Gibson Faded Hummingbird.  First of all it is not Faded it

is a Satin finished guitar (Meaning less nitro Laquer) This guitar was on my bucket list.

I owned a Hummingbird Original within the last year - I had to sell it for Financial reasons - But I knew if I could buy another one same day I would.  The satin Finished Bird is close to identical to the Original I owned - just a lot less Gloss. To me - Something about The Square shoulder Gibson acoustic's are very magical to me.  I am a big Martin endorser but this Gibson gives me as much pleasure as my Rosewood Martin.  This is the best "singing with" guitar out there.  Believe me Gibson Acoustics are not inexpensive Guitars - But I think if you own one you will see their value is equal to cost. To me - They play easier than most guitar's I have owned - Even some Taylor's.  My First pro Gibson was a 94' Gibson Gospel that I loved but I was bit by the Martin bug. 

I owned a First Edition Sheryl Crow Gibson - which was Unbelievable. That was the one that got me back on the Bozeman wagon.  And my honest opinion  is the Acoustic's coming out of Bozeman Montana today are the finest Acoustics that Gibson has ever made.

Edited by Gasman
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Congrats. Looks killer. Is it the same as a regular HB just less nitro, hopefully at a lesser price.

And if Gibson says its Faded its Faded. They made it. Just being a wise _________. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Yep Sarge - It is an identical "build wise" as the Original HB - Just the Satin finish instead of full Gloss.  And it is about 500.00 less than the Original - much more hands on time with a full gloss.  Thanks for the kind words. 

Congrats ✺ First I thought it wasn't as deep as the norm, but then read it's the same. I'll have to visit the Tube for a listen.  

Yes the squares are intriguing all the way ^

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So a little less nitro and it’s $500 cheaper. Why don’t they do that with every model?

I hear you Sarge - They are selling a group of the Faded series - that are based on the original models.  And as you might already know Martin now offers Satin versions of their 18 and 28 series Guitars for less money. 

Edited by Gasman

7 minutes ago, Gasman said:

I hear you Sarge - They are selling a group of the Faded series - that are based on the original models.  And as you might already know Martin now offers Satin versions of their 18 and 28 series Guitars for less money. 

All my 15 Series Martin's were Satin. One good thing, you don't polish them unless you want to never have it satin ever again. 

And No No and No, 18's and higher need to be gloss. I wish Martin would stop following the stupid trends, and do what they are good at. Stop with the guitars that are new and are supposed to look like they are from the '30's. They have so many models its ridiculous. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

20 hours ago, egoidealmusic said:

Nice!  Can't wait for a sound sample!

Thanks Ego - Go on  YouTube and look up - Gibson Hummingbird Faded vs Original - Which One Sounds Better? (Acoustic letter) Music Villa

That's a Great sound example😀

Edited by Gasman

Congrats on the natural Bird. One good thing about the satin finishes- they don't require as many coats as a gloss finish. . . usually resulting in a lighter guitar that lets the top breathe a little better. And the areas of contact from play wear are true evidence of the guitar actually getting played.

Of course, we'd love to see and hopefully hear a little of your new bird. ;  ) .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gasman said:

Yep - I figured if I ever wanted a high gloss HB again - a can of rubbing compound will do it. 

The neck of my D28 was satin and I liked it. Thru nothing more than playing and wiping down that sucker has become semi-gloss. Rubbing compound may not be needed!

• Like 1

This morning I ran over to Norman's Rare Guitars and bought a 1965 Humminbird. It sounds fantastic! What a beauty. I hope I'm not one-uping the o.p. but I'm just so excited. Um geez, no pics or vids yet.....uh sorry.....

Edited by guitarnutt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, guitarnutt said:

This morning I ran over to Norman's Rare Guitars and bought a 1965 Humminbird. It sounds fantastic! What a beauty. I hope I'm not one-uping the o.p. but I'm just so excited. Um geez, no pics or vids yet.....uh sorry.....

Wow (as the dog said when he saw the bone) - Look forward to the thread about this flier. Have a Country Western from 1965 and it's really something. Let's talk later. 

• Like 1

I've had a couple that were really nice, but they just didn't do anything for me. I may have to try one again. Square shoulder-wise, I do have a DIF that I really like. I think the HB is one of the best-looking guitars in Gibson's lineup. I remember playing the mom of my friends new 1965 HB thinking it was a great guitar. I'd like to try one of the 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge with the aged top.

CSSSHB60FBHCS_front.png?h=550

• Like 2