Gibson Brands Forums

Light bulbs

sparquelito

How long do your new LED light bulbs last, on average?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. One answer per customer, please.

• They fail more often than the old incandescent bulbs
    • They fail just as often as the old incandescent bulbs
    • They last months longer than the old incandescent bulbs
    • They keep working twice or thrice as long as the old incandescent bulbs

22 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Electricity comes from the power company, through the outlet, down your power cord and then back out though the neutral to the power company. It's all a scam they've been selling you the same electricity over and over since day one.

Yep you got it. We pay for something they give us and then take back.

On 8/7/2023 at 12:02 PM, gearbasher said:

As far as LEDs working with dimmers. A lot of the "dimmable" LEDs only work with compatible dimmer switches. 

I bought one from a lighting store. Dimmable bulb and its associated dimmer. It worked OK but only so dim. Then it started flickering.

Mrs. Notes and I watch one movie per week. It's the only time our TV is on, and I like to dim the lights until they are barely on. The dimmable LED didn't get dimmer than about what a 15 watt incandescent puts out.

So I took out the dimmer and bulb and returned them.

For that one light, I have a stash of halogen bulbs. I hope enough to last until someone figures out how to improve the dimmable LED bulbs.

Notes ♫

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I bought one from a lighting store. Dimmable bulb and its associated dimmer. It worked OK but only so dim. Then it started flickering.

Mrs. Notes and I watch one movie per week. It's the only time our TV is on, and I like to dim the lights until they are barely on. The dimmable LED didn't get dimmer than about what a 15 watt incandescent puts out.

So I took out the dimmer and bulb and returned them.

For that one light, I have a stash of halogen bulbs. I hope enough to last until someone figures out how to improve the dimmable LED bulbs.

Notes ♫

I had the exact opposite experience with mine. I use candelabra bulbs in my dining room chandelier. When I switched to LEDs, the dimmer works perfectly from a faint glow to about 75% fully on. Once I get to that point they start to flicker. I'm living with 75% full brightness.

On 8/4/2023 at 8:28 AM, DanvillRob said:

I just hate that our government is taking choices away from us at a rapid pace.... you already can't get gas stoves in many parts of California..... next will be water heaters...... and Air Conditioners..... if you think light bulbs is the end....you're sadly mistaken.

I don't mind the LED lights in some places....but I also like the soft-yellow of incandescent bulbs in other places.....but I HATE that government officials want to make that choice for me.

I agree 1000%!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've been trying to save some money on my electric bills this summer by not using electric devices as much. I have been trying not to even use lights at night, as much as possible. A few nights ago my daughter and I were watching an old J.J. Abrams TV show called "Fringe", and I had been using the light from the TV to read something or other, but I needed more light. Frustrated and lazy, I complained to my daughter about not being able to read with so little light. (Since I am getting older, I am beginning to experience many age related issues.) As such, I stood up rather quickly and then sat back down, and then stood up again rather quickly again and sat back down. My kid was obviously confused and asked, "What the heck are you doing, Dad?". As I raised my reading material near to my face, I replied, "I was hoping I would get light headed to help illuminate this page." Shaking her head, she said, "That wasn't very bright.", to which I excitedly asked, "So your saying there was some light? Do you think if I switched to LED I could produce more lumens?". Dad jokes are fun!

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2023 at 2:59 PM, merciful-evans said:

I don't think any of this is compatible with dark sucker theory.   https://siliconhell.com/darksucker-theory/

Basic Principles

The basis of the dark sucker theory is that electric bulbs suck dark. Take, for example, the dark suckers in the room where you are. There is less dark right next to them than there is elsewhere. The larger the dark sucker, the greater it’s capacity to suck dark. For example, the large devices on a football pitch have a much greater capacity than the ones in this room.

Limitations

As with all things, dark suckers don’t last forever. Once they are full of dark, they can no longer suck. This is proven by the black spot on a full device. A candle is an example of a very primitive sucking device. A new candle has a white wick. You will notice that after the first use, the wick turns black, representing all the dark which has been sucked into it. If you hold a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, the tip will turn black because it got in the path of the dark flowing into the candle.

Portability

Unfortunately, these primitive suckers have a very limited range. There are also portable anti-black devices. The bulbs in these can’t handle all of the dark by themselves and must be aided by a dark storage unit. A common example of this is your everyday rechargeable battery. When the dark storage unit is full, it must be either emptied or replaced before the portable dark sucker can operate again. This is achieved by simply recharging the battery. At an atomic level, this removes the dark from the battery. This, in turn, returns the battery to full power.

When I tell people that there is no such thing as "Cold", most of them think I'm nuts. There is only "Heat", I tell them. You don't get "Cold", I say, you are just "less hot".

42 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

When I tell people that there is no such thing as "Cold", most of them think I'm nuts. There is only "Heat", I tell them. You don't get "Cold", I say, you are just "less hot".

Yep, air conditioners do not cool the air. They remove the heat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Yep, air conditioners do not cool the air. They remove the heat.

I knew a woman who understood that when she used her oven and/or stove top, her house would heat up a bit. Yet, she was completely befuddled as to why leaving her fridge/freezer door open wouldn't decrease the temp in her home, in a similar (but opposite) manner. 🙃

On 8/12/2023 at 4:07 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

We elect officials to be our voice, but it’s really their voice. They are rich and you are not. Boo f- in hoo. We lose , they win. Way it goes.

As long as people and corporations are allowed to put millions of dollars into the campaign funds of candidates, we will not have government by the people. Once elected, the person who received those gifts will vote for anything that helps the people who helped him get elected.

For all practical purposes, that huge campaign fund contribution is nothing more than a tacit bribe.

Only registered voters should be allowed to make a campaign contribution, and they should be limited to $50 per candidate.

Citizens United snipped the last thread of government by the people – for the people. The upper 5% are now the rulers of our country.

Incites, insights and a minor rant by Notes ♫

• Like 1

Some things have been discontinued in my lifetime, DDT, Leaded Gas, Thalidomide, Scotchguard, Teflon, and now incandescent light bulbs.

Sometimes we need to sacrifice our old loves to lessen our impact on our planet or our health. I'm glad they found a decent substitute before then nuked the old light bulb.

Less than 5% of the electricity in the old light bulb produces light. 95% of the electricity is wasted, mostly to produce heat.

I won't miss them.

The LED lights are much better than the coiled spring compact florescent types.

Notes ♫

3 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Cold pizza is pretty good. 😄

Notes ♫

What about pizza cooked by two 60 watt light bulbs? Oops now two 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs at 9 watts. Why is my pizza taking 3 hours to cook?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What about pizza cooked by two 60 watt light bulbs? Oops now two 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs at 9 watts. Why is my pizza taking 3 hours to cook?

In that case, your pizza no longer qualifies as 'fast food' and that pizza is probably now much healthier. 😄 Health food pizza! I think there is a market for that.

Or you can put your pizza in an air fryer, which isn't a fryer and actually doesn't fry anything at all. (Frying is the cooking of food in oil or another fat.)

The air fryer is really just a small convection oven, and since you bake pizzas, it should be just right for the job. Easy Bake, Air Fryer, Convection Oven fired Pizza.

Pizza is actually one of the 4 basic food groups, which are:

1. Coffee or Tea – because life as we know it does not exist until a cup or two have been ingested
  2. Chocolate (no explanation needed)
  3. Pizza (tomato=fruit / cheese=dairy / pepperoni=meat / wheat crust and basil=vegetable)
  4. Everything else edible fits in this group.

Living in Florida, and choosing to live without air conditioning, I appreciate the LED bulbs because they don't throw off a lot of heat.

Should they go the way of Leaded Gas, DDT, and the others? I don't know, I see both sides of that argument, but it's really not enough of a big deal for me to get upset over.

I could think of things our elected leaders (on both sides) do that are a big deal, but if I mention them, I'd probably get banned from the forum for being too political.

Notes ♫

16 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

In that case, your pizza no longer qualifies as 'fast food' and that pizza is probably now much healthier. 😄 Health food pizza! I think there is a market for that.

Or you can put your pizza in an air fryer, which isn't a fryer and actually doesn't fry anything at all. (Frying is the cooking of food in oil or another fat.)

The air fryer is really just a small convection oven, and since you bake pizzas, it should be just right for the job. Easy Bake, Air Fryer, Convection Oven fired Pizza.

Pizza is actually one of the 4 basic food groups, which are:

1. Coffee or Tea – because life as we know it does not exist until a cup or two have been ingested
  2. Chocolate (no explanation needed)
  3. Pizza (tomato=fruit / cheese=dairy / pepperoni=meat / wheat crust and basil=vegetable)
  4. Everything else edible fits in this group.

Living in Florida, and choosing to live without air conditioning, I appreciate the LED bulbs because they don't throw off a lot of heat.

Should they go the way of Leaded Gas, DDT, and the others? I don't know, I see both sides of that argument, but it's really not enough of a big deal for me to get upset over.

I could think of things our elected leaders (on both sides) do that are a big deal, but if I mention them, I'd probably get banned from the forum for being too political.

Notes ♫

I learned how to make pizza dough years ago and make my own. Its easy. I f-ed up a lot of dough before I got it down.