Gibson Brands Forums

Got Some New Ebony...

Murph

Had one many, many years ago. I'm a builder, tinkerer, fixer, inventor, repairer, re-designer, used to hunt some, and general all-around handyman. I always have a multi-tool on me and several blades. But, I haven't owned a 110 for many years. Mostly Case, SOG and Spyderco, and as nice as those are, when it comes to the roughest, toughest, handiest one single thing a person can own, it's got to be a Buck 110. I bumped into this at Tractor Supply yesterday and I think it was priced wrong at $59.00.  It's in my "just in case" pile now.

OqlpmfD.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/2/2023 at 4:15 AM, Murph said:

Had one many, many years ago. I'm a builder, tinkerer, fixer, inventor, repairer, re-designer, used to hunt some, and general all-around handyman. I always have a multi-tool on me and several blades. But, I haven't owned a 110 for many years. Mostly Case, SOG and Spyderco, and as nice as those are, when it comes to the roughest, toughest, handiest one single thing a person can own, it's got to be a Buck 110. I bumped into this at Tractor Supply yesterday and I think it was priced wrong at $59.00.  It's in my "just in case" pile now.

OqlpmfD.jpg

I tell my son that a man should ALWAYS carry a pocket knife.   I carry a Swiss Army Knife...I've had maybe 15 throughout my life..... I still have maybe 7-8 of my 'retired' knives laying around the house in different rooms.... one in the family room, one in the bar, one in the kitchen, one in the music room, one in the bedroom, one in the motor home, one in the garage....these don't count the one I carry in my pocket.... still have a brand-new one in my dresser for when I need it.....when I use it, I'll buy another 3-4 of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree -  that's one of the few irrefutable truths Ive told my sons.  Sometimes they do, sometimes not.  Problem is - there are a few places you go that have prohibitions against 'any weapons including knives'.   Going to a concert or to pay a traffic ticket...  Of course, retail establishments can put up whatever signs they want to re. "Weapons" and I'll ignore them.   All they can do is tell you to leave if they SEE a knife on your person.  As far as 'guns' -  different laws.    That exact Buck knife was a staple in the Navy.  Half the sailors actually on ships had one in a leather pouch on their belt.  Decades ago. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, fortyearspickn said:

Agree -  that's one of the few irrefutable truths Ive told my sons.  Sometimes they do, sometimes not.  Problem is - there are a few places you go that have prohibitions against 'any weapons including knives'.   Going to a concert or to pay a traffic ticket...  Of course, retail establishments can put up whatever signs they want to re. "Weapons" and I'll ignore them.   All they can do is tell you to leave if they SEE a knife on your person.  As far as 'guns' -  different laws.    That exact Buck knife was a staple in the Navy.  Half the sailors actually on ships had one in a leather pouch on their belt.  Decades ago. 

Over the years I've lost more than a couple of knives at the TSA  checkpoints!

25 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I tell my son that a man should ALWAYS carry a pocket knife. 

I bought my daughter a small Case bone handled pocket knife for her first birthday, obviously I didn't give it to her that day. I gave it to her a few years ago and explained that you could "date" Case knives and to look it up and date hers. She smiled when she realized it was built in 1999, which is her birth year.

I actually just ordered a Spyderco Dragonfly for my wife the other day, because she's walking more than she used to. The Small Spyderco knives are very light and carry with a clip in the pocket and I just think it's a good idea.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I carry a Swiss Army Knife...I've had maybe 15 throughout my life..... 

I bought my oldest son a "MacGyver" knife because it was his favorite show back in the day. 35 years later, he still has that knife. He's replaced his every day carry, and now it's sentimental to him, but it'll still do the job!

16 minutes ago, Murph said:

I bought my daughter a small Case bone handled pocket knife for her first birthday, obviously I didn't give it to her that day. I gave it to her a few years ago and explained that you could "date" Case knives and to look it up and date hers. She smiled when she realized it was built in 1999, which is her birth year.

I actually just ordered a Spyderco Dragonfly for my wife the other day, because she's walking more than she used to. The Small Spyderco knives are very light and carry with a clip in the pocket and I just think it's a good idea.

I bought an engraved Swiss Army knife in a Swiss Army knife store at the base of the Matterhorn (Zermatt) on my birthday in 2019.

I had the date engraved on it, and will go to my oldest grandson, (when he's old enough to not cut one of his fingers off).

It sits still in the case in my dresser.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Conratulations on your new acquisition.

If anything ever happens to it, Buck will put on a new blade and refurbish it for $30 shipped.

I sent one in I had since probably 1978 and it came back looking like new (and it  was pretty hammered).

I wonder if that applies to their chisels. All my buck chisels are trash. Probably cheaper to just buy new ones

18 hours ago, SteveFord said:

If anything ever happens to it, Buck will put on a new blade and refurbish it for $30 shipped.

I wish I knew this 20 years ago or so. I tossed a 110 because an idiot "friend" of mine broke the blade in half trying to pry something with it.  On another note (pun??) this is a little pricey but I've almost pulled the trigger on it several times. Maybe one day . . .

• Like 2

I inherited this Buck 110 some time after my brother in law Sean passed away.

His father (my father in law Jim) gave it to me after a year or two of hanging onto it.
Sean carried it all the time, and in fact had it on him when he dropped dead from a heart attack.

It's a 2005 model 110, or so I have been told.
I need to hit the brass bits with some Brasso, I reckon.

😐

F2bf0Rn.jpg

If you join the Buck Collector's Club (BCCI) you'll get a pretty good discount from Buck with their Pro Program.  The discount far outweighs the $20 annual membership cost.

The process is join the collector's club and then fill out the Pro Program application on the Buck site.

https://buckcollectorsclub.org/

https://www.buckknives.com/about/company/pro-application-form/

If you're a fire fighter, veteran, etc. you don't need to join the BCCI but their newsletters are fun to read.

Here's the date code chart, Sparky does have a 2005.  2022 (or maybe 2023) looks like a check mark with a downward facing tail up at the top.

gxtIykw.jpg

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Here's the date code chart, 

Yep.

My brand new one is a 2021.

I also have several Case knives that can be dated as well. When my Dad died I got his Case Mako, which I never actually looked up the date. I might do that today...

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 6:53 PM, SteveFord said:

If you join the Buck Collector's Club (BCCI) you'll get a pretty good discount from Buck with their Pro Program.  The discount far outweighs the $20 annual membership cost.

The process is join the collector's club and then fill out the Pro Program application on the Buck site.

https://buckcollectorsclub.org/

https://www.buckknives.com/about/company/pro-application-form/

If you're a fire fighter, veteran, etc. you don't need to join the BCCI but their newsletters are fun to read.

Here's the date code chart, Sparky does have a 2005.  2022 (or maybe 2023) looks like a check mark with a downward facing tail up at the top.

gxtIykw.jpg

Did they contact Gibson to see if they could be the second most confusing to find out the date of when something was made.

>I<   Well lets see that's either a real 1959, a Reissue of a 1959 or it's neither.  But it is one of those 3. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2023 at 11:49 AM, sparquelito said:

I inherited this Buck 110 some time after my brother in law Sean passed away.

I inherited this Sharpfinger when my uncle died a few years ago. It belonged to a Bandido we knew in Arizona that was killed in an accident in 1981.

CPzIR7M.jpg

Edited by Murph
  • Like 1