Gibson Brands Forums

Do The Beatles still hold up to modern music?

cody78

10 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I love playing Beatles songs and jacking them up a bit, partly because my group has a really really good singer. When people hear her, they cut her a lot slack because her vocal interpretations are so pleasing.

Why not post a little film of one your versions. . 

7 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Why not post a little film of one your versions. . 

At present nothing worth posting, we perform every weekend in our remote neighborhood which our friends in the area like to come and enjoy.

We mess with a lot of other groups material as well, Beatles vocals in the past were always difficult to present, they may have been the first boy band but wrote and played their instrumentation.

• Like 1

I think the fact that the Beatles still sell their music and we still hear them in public and in commercials says that they still hold up. It like that for a lot of old classics, It seems like I hear Buddy Holly's music a lot in commercials. I always thought it would be cool if someone re-recorded Holly's music, as long as it was done tastefully.

On 10/19/2023 at 4:29 PM, E-minor7 said:

But was it 76, , , the Wings Over America tour. . 

No,  It was just him, (McCartney and Linda) with a band.  I'm 70 now and can't remember dates, or what year we saw them.  I do remember that the concert was for some Anniversary we celebrated and it was at the other house we were at at the time. We've been at this house for around 28 years but I couldn't tell you how long we were at the other one.  (I had a brain tumor cancer  way back in 88, that screwed up my memory.  Sorry.

On 10/20/2023 at 4:03 PM, E-minor7 said:

Think again, , , , Pepper. . 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 4:29 PM, E-minor7 said:

But was it 76, , , the Wings Over America tour. . 

OK, I asked the wife and she couldn't remember either. She bought a t shirt at that concert and looked. It was called the" World Tour in 1990." The shirt has the band names of all that were in it. but I didn't read them all,  You can look them up if you want their names. Like I said, this concert that year was in Ames Iowa.  It was the first time we saw Paul. Deb was going to see the Beatles together before I even knew her but she broke her foot and her parents wouldn't let her go.  I know her dad died in a plane crash when she was 13.  But I don't remember when she broke her foot. 

7 minutes ago, Retired said:

No,  It was just him, (McCartney and Linda) with a band.  I'm 70 now and can't remember dates, or what year we saw them.  I do remember that the concert was for some Anniversary we celebrated and it was at the other house we were at at the time. We've been at this house for around 28 years but I couldn't tell you how long we were at the other one.  (I had a brain tumor cancer  way back in 88, that screwed up my memory.  Sorry.

All okay 🙂 but you may remember Wings was the name of the band Paul & Linda travelled with way back. I don't think McCartney toured or played US before 1976 - the same show I saw here in Europe a few months before.

Never mind - we share good memories. . 

1 minute ago, Retired said:

OK, I asked the wife and she couldn't remember either. She bought a t shirt at that concert and looked. It was called the" World Tour in 1990." The shirt has the band names of all that were in it. but I didn't read them all,  You can look them up if you want their names. Like I said, this concert that year was in Ames Iowa.  It was the first time we saw Paul. Deb was going to see the Beatles together before I even knew her but she broke her foot and her parents wouldn't let her go.  I know her dad died in a plane crash when she was 13.  But I don't remember when she broke her foot. 

I get it - and recall seeing that on TV.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    In fact attended a rather small unplugged concert here the following summer = 1991. 

4 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

I get it - and recall seeing that on TV.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    In fact attended a rather small unplugged concert here the following summer = 1991. 

Bet it was a BAAANG of a concert. Here's the set list  >

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/1990/cyclone-stadium-ames-ia-bddb99a.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

We have been to a ton of concerts, some amusing, Paul Revere and the Raiders had everyones concern of them. They danced, kicked up their legs high had like Robin Hood tights on and large fat bellies.  Everyone thought they might have heart attacks doing the concert as then, I could hear real good and their was talk all over of them. In their 70's and they were like a girls chorus line kicking up so high the whole show. Lol.  I thought the two best ones we saw were that McCartney & Linda one in Ames and The Pink Floyd Wall concert and it was an Anniversary present together. It was all the laser light show that made it special. 

9 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Bet it was a BAAANG of a concert. Here's the set list  >

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/1990/cyclone-stadium-ames-ia-bddb99a.html

It was great. I still remember them doing FOOL ON THE HILL.  He was playing piano on a round platform on stage that turned. As it kept turning, that round platform kept getting taller and taller raising him way up. I thought it was ironic that the song lyrics went "Round & Round as he spun. But we've seen some great concerts. and most of the best. We saw the Eagles 4 times and worth it each time. Fleetwood Mac twice and Santana once. ext. 

21 hours ago, Retired said:

It was great. I still remember them doing FOOL ON THE HILL.  He was playing piano on a round platform on stage that turned. As it kept turning, that round platform kept getting taller and taller raising him way up. I thought it was ironic that the song lyrics went "Round & Round as he spun. But we've seen some great concerts. and most of the best. We saw the Eagles 4 times and worth it each time. Fleetwood Mac twice and Santana once. ext. 

Yea, sounds great - the turning plateau must have been fun, , , also for Paul.

Saw P. Floyd as well in London 43 years ago. Sneaked my way down to the stage in second half and experienced the big white tumbling bricks from row zero - the floor. 

Hearing Eagles with Randy Meisner singing this one would have been a high - 

Edited by E-minor7

On 10/21/2023 at 10:10 PM, Larsongs said:

Dealing with annoying Vocal Plosives on Recordings is not new..

I remember using a coat hanger with a woman's nylon stocking stretched over it in front of the mic. I don't know how well it work with the plosives, but anything having anything to do with women's nylons isn't probably a bad thing 😮

25 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

I remember using a coat hanger with a woman's nylon stocking stretched over it in front of the mic. I don't know how well it work with the plosives, but anything having anything to do with women's nylons isn't probably a bad thing 😮

A so called pop-filter - will probably catch some, , , but it has to be from a famous female singer. 

Apart from that there are devices like a De-Esser - perhaps more in the same style. Finally AI should get rid of the rest. . 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Especially if she's wearing them😁

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

We might find out how relevant they are next week when they release their final single.

Oooooops, , , that would be unfair, wouldn't it. . 

But exciting it is. . 

In this peculiar double-way. 

On 10/22/2023 at 4:29 PM, Ceptorman said:

I think the fact that the Beatles still sell their music and we still hear them in public and in commercials says that they still hold up. It like that for a lot of old classics, It seems like I hear Buddy Holly's music a lot in commercials. I always thought it would be cool if someone re-recorded Holly's music, as long as it was done tastefully.

Mozart held up and those English Beatles will to. Abbey Road does not have the bands name on the album front cover, yet you could go just about anywhere in the world and ask people who they were and I’ll bet about 99% would get it right.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Mozart held up and those English Beatles will to. Abbey Road does not have the bands name on the album front cover, yet you could go just about anywhere in the world and ask people who they were and I’ll bet about 99% would get it right.

I made the test several times round the local shops. Most muslims don't recognize or seem to know the act. 

Did taxi drivers too.

"Yellow submarine".

"Yellow what. . . ?".

This is a fairly big all updated European city.

Edited by E-minor7

8 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Oooooops, , , that would be unfair, wouldn't it. . 

But exciting it is. . 

In this peculiar double-way. 

I think they meant to say their first final Single! The vault is full of unreleased material.. As technology advances who knows what they’ll come up with in the future.. 

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

I think they meant to say their first final Single! The vault is full of unreleased material.. As technology advances who knows what they’ll come up with in the future.. 

And thereby you mean individual demos and fx fragments of songs touched collectively while making the albums ?

The latter could easily turn into futuristic pieces of music, but the home-tapes would be harder to call Beatles.

I'm not sure how George ended up on the comin' track.

A horror scenario would be, let's say Dhani and Sean sitting noodling around with collages based on cassette sketches as old men. Sending them out as The Beatle-DNA Project in 2042 😖 80 years after the release of Love Me Do. . 

12 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Most muslims don't recognize or seem to know the act. 

I was in a conversation several years ago with 8/9 people of differing ages and mentioned "Paul McCartney" and a young man in his late 20's said "Who's Paul McCartney?" 

Most of us looked at him in disbelief, but he was serious.

He didn't know the name.