Gibson Brands Forums

Do The Beatles still hold up to modern music?

cody78

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

BS. I  see FJB stickers and T-shirts and Let's Go Brandon stuff everywhere in SC. I even see Rebel Flags aka The Lynyrd Skynyrd flag. The guy next door to me on his shed has a plaque in the state of SC and its background is the Rebel Flag. Here they know who he is, and want him,  and the VP gone. I also on a regular basis around here on stickers and T-shirts  - Joe and the Ho gotta go.

Yeah, but, in interviews at Ft. Lauderdale during Spring Break many didn’t know who the first President was, or who is the current President. Or many other 2nd Grade questions….

Edited by Larsongs

8 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Yeah, but, in interviews at Ft. Lauderdale during Spring Break many didn’t know who the first President was, or who is the current President. Or many other 2nd Grade questions….

If they were asking 5 year olds maybe they would not know, but a college student damn well better know who the P and VP are.

6 hours ago, SteveFord said:

You talked me into Hackney Diamonds.

I bought the last Pink Floyd , Who and Jeff Beck albums so 80 year old Stones it is.

If you listened to Goats and Main Street 5 times, I'm gonna say Hackney will be a 3 timer. I sampled it and its better that I thought, but still was a snooze fest.

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If they were asking 5 year olds maybe they would not know, but a college student damn well better know who the P and VP are.

Gee, my apologies, I shouldn't have gone there.. Yes, The Beatles are Cool & still relevent!! They have a new Song coming out & I hear rumors of another new Re-Mix too...

Edited by Larsongs

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Have a great day!

Have a great day in the life yourself. .

1967 ~ 0olioZt.jpg

1 of 40 symphonists. 

4 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Take that, Rolling Stones!

Well, an ambivalence lies between the lines. One can sense they've had enough, , , of each other too. The glasses are full - or empty. . 

This in fact can be seen as a great cadeau to Stones.

On 10/29/2023 at 2:40 PM, Larsongs said:

Gee, my apologies, I shouldn't have gone there.. Yes, The Beatles are Cool & still relevent!! They have a new Song coming out & I hear rumors of another new Re-Mix too...

The "Red" 62-66 and the "Blue" 67-70 are coming out in 8 days. The new song Now And Then ( I have not heard one note of this song) is out officially tomorrow. They added extra songs to the Red and Blue albums, and all songs even the early ones got remixed by Giles Martin.

I'm sure alot of people wanted Rubber Soul remixed, but we got the 1973 greatest hits sets instead. I'd rather have R S than 2 greatest hits records. 

And Pinch I assure you that you can click on the links with no bad stuff affecting your computer.

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-beatles-now-and-then-cd-single-confirmed/

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-beatles-red-and-blue-albums-remixed-and-expanded/

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I pretty much like everything they did from “In Spite Of All The Danger” on… 

Recently, I think I’m liking the remaining Beatles recordings of John’s Tapes the most.. “Real Love” & “Free As A Bird”.. And hopefully the new one coming out.. 

Not that the remakes aren’t good but they aren’t new Beatles Records.. I will get the Red & Blue remakes. I like almost everything on those 2 Albums.. Most likely all the other remakes too that come along & complete that collection too.. 

12 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Well, an ambivalence lies between the lines. One can sense they've had enough, , , of each other too. The glasses are full - or empty. . 

This in fact can be seen as a great cadeau to Stones.

How would you like to live and tour for 4 years, and constantly be up each other bum, and not be able to do anything without people wanting something from you? I am sure it got old quick. Except all the tail you got. That never gets old.

15 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I pretty much like everything they did from “In Spite Of All The Danger” on… 

Recently, I think I’m liking the remaining Beatles recordings of John’s Tapes the most.. “Real Love” & “Free As A Bird”.. And hopefully the new one coming out.. 

Not that the remakes aren’t good but they aren’t new Beatles Records.. I will get the Red & Blue remakes. I like almost everything on those 2 Albums.. Most likely all the other remakes too that come along & complete that collection too.. 

I'm good on the Red and Blue. I have every album on vinyl that got re- released in 2009, and on CD all the 2009 reissues, and in some cases again on CD, and vinyl for all the 50th Ann. sets remixes. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Sorry if I'm repeating, due to time constraints, I had to skip a page of posts, I'll go back later, after the gig.

------

I don't think most pop music of today, including the Beatles' best work, will stand the test of time like Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven did. In 100 years or so, I don't think the average people will know about them. Al Jolson was a major star in his day, but ask a kid today about him and do they know?

Pop music is disposable music. The works of the great classical composers will be played by orchestras for some time to come. Between you and me, I'd rather hear Abbey Road than anything by Mozart, but I'd rather hear a Shostakovitch or Tchaikovsky symphony than Abbey Road.

Here's the difference. Themes and variations. I played Dvorak's Ninth symphony in school and have had 4 different recordings of it by various symphony orchestras.

After I'd heard it hundreds of times, I noticed something I never realized, and it blew me away. In the fourth movement, Dvorak mixed two major themes from two different movements to make a new melody. That was easy. But he also took a variation of a piece of another melody theme for a background 'answer' part, and yet another variation of another melody for the bass line. So in that part, he combined the major themes from all four movements in a way that wasn't obvious.

I've listened to the Abbey Road medley hundreds of times, enjoy it, but nothing new has been discovered.

Notes ♫

On 10/29/2023 at 6:12 PM, Phil OKeefe said:

Folks, I'd really hate to have to close a Beatles thread, so let's leave politics out of the discussion, please. 

Absolutely right. Let's talk about "Taxman".

Sorry, I had to.

Carry on.

Edited by Pinch
  • Haha 1

I’ve heard of Beatlemania but never Jolsonmania. There was no mold for The Fab 4 and Elvis Presley’s fame and mania. That was next level and on its own new level. Have some chime in who remember it. They broke up when I was 4. Were they relevant to a 4 year old?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Hmmm, so the new Beatles song is out and it sounds ok. I imagine it will go to No.1, but I'm not so sure now with the way the charts have changed over latter years. Will it fit in with Miley Cyrus, Olivia Rodrigo, Billie Eilish and a load of rap/ grime stuff?  It'll be interesting to see how it does and it might also answer my original question in this thread alongside all the replies.

Edited by cody78