Gibson Brands Forums

Do The Beatles still hold up to modern music?

cody78

11 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Who is Frank Sinatra, , ,  

but a smart businessman with tone .  

Shortly after Sinatra died, Tony Bennett was interviewed on BBC radio.....

Interviewer; "Tony......Frank Sinatra once called you the 'last of the great supper club singers'."

Tony Bennett;   (Pause)..." Aah....what does he know?"

[laugh]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

A common every day criminal. But he did it his way.

863raNk.jpg

On 10/6/2023 at 6:38 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Do the Beatles hold up today.

That fact that we are discussing them 60 years after they hit the scene, and all 4 haven't recorded a note together since August of '69 I would say YES.

I would rather listen to a 55 year old song than the c-rap out today.

Does Beethoven and Mozart's music hold up? 

Another way to look at it, "IF two of them could come back from the dead, The 4 got back together and had a world tour, How many of those concerts would be sell out crowds and hit headlines every where?  And that would be today, Not Yesterday. 

7 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

And style.

He had style.

And he never wore manscara...

Edited by Murph

I started playing sax, bass, flute, guitar, drums, and keys, later wind synth. Then I decided to learn how to sing, after all, finding a singer is the hardest part of starting a band.

That's when I started to seriously listen to singers, how they get their expression, what nuances do they use and when, and how do they use dynamics.

That's also when I started to appreciate Sinatra. After all, he was a singer from the past, not from my generation.

Not only did he have great pipes, he worked hard at his craft, had great intonation (don't need no stinkin auto-tune), and knew when not to sing quite in tune for expression. He had very good diction, held out long notes well, and phrased his melodies excellently.

I play 8 instruments, including vocals, and voice is absolutely the most difficult one I've ever learned. I don't have the pipes to be a great singer, but I've learned to be a decent singer.

As I get older, I realize every generation had its share of excellent music and lousy music, including my own. Of course, that is my personal taste showing. What's lousy to me, might be just right for someone else.

Will the Beatles hold up today? How about Elvis? Sinatra? Bobby Darin? Shirley Horn?  Buddy Greco? Dusty Springfield? Donna Summer? Aretha Franklin? Buddy Holly? Otis Redding? Muddy Waters? Ella Fitzgerald? David Bowie? Prince? And really, does it matter?

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

8 hours ago, Retired said:

Another way to look at it, "IF two of them could come back from the dead, The 4 got back together and had a world tour, How many of those concerts would be sell out crowds and hit headlines every where?  And that would be today, Not Yesterday. 

Paul is starting his World Tour.. If it’s like all his past ones they’ll all be Sold Out… 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

Paul is starting his World Tour.. If it’s like all his past ones they’ll all be Sold Out… 

Deb & I saw him 4 times now. 1st time in Aims Iowa way back. He had Linda with him. We saw Ringo 3 times with his all star band. Never disappointed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

As I get older, I realize every generation had its share of excellent music and lousy music, including my own. Of course, that is my personal taste showing. What's lousy to me, might be just right for someone else.

Will the Beatles hold up today? How about Elvis? Sinatra? Bobby Darin? Shirley Horn?  Buddy Greco? Dusty Springfield? Donna Summer? Aretha Franklin? Buddy Holly? Otis Redding? Muddy Waters? Ella Fitzgerald? David Bowie? Prince? And really, does it matter?

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Your absolutely right, and does any BS we discuss here really matter? I've said it before and I'll say it again. We solve nothing here. We may assist a person who has a question, but that is about it, and most times the question is - what does my serial number mean, or how much is my LP worth even though I don't want to sell it, I just want to know?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

23 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I recently watched an interview with Giles Martin speaking of the Revolver remix. I know some clever processing went on. Who's got this? Is it very different? 

Can be heard on the Tube - set up 2 'tabs' and A/B the new mixes with the remastered versions from 2009.                                                                                                                                                   Good autumn entertainment 🍂👂 

and 

'ave fun. . 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Retired said:

Deb & I saw him 4 times now. 1st time in Aims Iowa way back. He had Linda with him. We saw Ringo 3 times with his all star band. Never disappointed.

Yes, I saw him in March 1976 from the second row. Bet you joined shortly after. . 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I recently watched an interview with Giles Martin speaking of the Revolver remix. I know some clever processing went on. Who's got this? Is it very different? 

I have all the Giles Martin 50th Anniversary deluxe sets except for Revolver. I only bought the 2 CD set that is remixed. I hear more differences with the other ones, especially Pepper and The White Album.  If you have your original it may not be necessary for the remixed Revolver.

11 hours ago, Retired said:

We saw Ringo 3 times with his all star band. Never disappointed.

I wanted to see Ringo in "The Round" , the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix, but couldn't pull of the logistics. 

Such a cool venue.

16 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Can be heard on the Tube - set up 2 'tabs' and A/B the new mixes with the remastered versions from 2009.                                                                                                                                                   Good autumn entertainment 🍂👂 

and 

'ave fun. . 

Thanks. I need some to find my phones now. Wish me luck, I'm decorating. [smile]

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We solve nothing here.

But we pleasantly kill some time discussing non-earth shattering things.

I've not seen many rock stars in concert. As a working musician, they usually come to town when we are gigging.

In my lifetime I got to jam with a lot, Eric Burden, the Motown Funk Brothers, and even a formal Idol, Jr. Walker. Sadly, I never got to jam with any of the Beatles. 😞 nor did I ever have the slightest opportunity to do so.

Edited by Notes_Norton
speling misteak
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

But we pleasantly kill some time discussing non-earth shattering things.

I've not seen many rock stars in concert. As a working musician, they usually come to town when we are gigging.

In my lifetime I got to jam with a lot, Eric Burden, the Motown Funk Brothers, and even a formal Idol, Jr. Walker. Sadly, I never got to jam with any of the Beatles. 😞 nor did I ever have the slightest opportunity to do so.

Your mostly a horn player correct? The Beatles music didn't have much horns in it. There was Penny Lane and maybe A Day In The Life. That's all I can think of.