Gibson Brands Forums

1968 J50

Dave F

I bought this guitar last summer at a price where I could play around with it. I set it up with the original rosewood adjustable bridge and left it that way for a few months to see how I liked it. It was different but it did nothing for me, so I decided to convert it to a bone saddle. Here's some before and after my updates with me trying not to make it look too pretty. I secured 5 cracks on the top, replaced the pickup with an Anthem SL and plugged up the old jack hole, painted and decal the head stock, repaired the divots on the first four frets, dressed all the frets, made a rosewood insert with a bone saddle and filled in the gaps of the lifting bridge. It plays and sounds great plugged in or not. The rosewood insert is just a snug fit, did not glue it in. 

52266245754_c0d29e9613_c.jpg

53248337872_02cdf6c0c7_z.jpg

52265996918_ae7b6eb064_z.jpg

53249213486_f191f78778_z.jpg

53249571243_d142254553_w.jpg

53249574369_91bce34791_b.jpg

52266468300_a61b8871f9_b.jpg

53249507908_18def6b4e5_z.jpg

52266246469_052c6c7532_z.jpg

53249508618_3d340a7070_z.jpg

Glad you found your way - it's a guitar I'd like to hear. 

Of course both before and after the (well-crafted) switch, but guess that's impossible.

P.S. - The headstock works fine.

11 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Glad you found your way - it's a guitar I'd like to hear. 

Of course both before and after the (well-crafted) switch, but guess that's impossible.

P.S. - The headstock works fine.

The rosewood insert can be pulled out and the adjustable saddle and hardware can be put in with no mods.

Good for you.  One of the guitars which remained with me the longest was a 1956 Epi FT79.  I only snagged it because I got it for $400. I initially figured with just a little bit of TLC it would make some great trade bait for an instrument worth maybe six times what I had put in it.  Funny thing happened though.  While it was one of those guitars which did not do anything terribly well, I found it sounded really good trying.

7 hours ago, Larsongs said:

That is a cool & very worthy project.. Is there a reason you didn’t go with a stock adjustable Bridge? Did you replace the Nut? What did you fill the divots with? Nice job on the Headstock..

Is there a reason you didn’t go with a stock adjustable Bridge?

The original rosewood adjustable saddle was usable, and I tried it. That saddle and the bridge slot had distorted into a slight banana shape and one of the stud holes was off center to the slot. That's why I went the insert route.

Did you replace the Nut?

No, the nut is original and not altered.

What did you fill the divots with? 

I used the Frank Ford method. I've had vintage guitar frets filled in by a luthier in the past but did not like the dark spots it left. I read this a while back and decided I would try it or have my luthier try it the next time I needed it. I made a short 12" radius sanding block so I would not have to remove the frets. It worked really well, and I like the way it looks.

FRETS.COM

Nice job on the Headstock..

Thanks. I didn't bother smoothing the surface and filling in any dings or voids so it would not look too pretty.

18 hours ago, Dave F said:

The rosewood insert can be pulled out and the adjustable saddle and hardware can be put in with no mods.

👍 Yes, figured that, , , just thought it would be too optimistic to think you'ld switch back for an A/B. But the new saddle also ignites some curiosity.

Btw. saw a contemporary J-50 with adjustable (tusq) bridge/saddle yesterday. Intend to return and try it  - in the ideal world slip down a ceramic original insert. 

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Did you buy it real reliced or Tom Murphy reliced?

Honest wear, but not by me. I was playing guitars with a friend yesterday and he said my playing style and the way I place my hands makes it look like it was my playing that did the wear.

Dave, 

Smartly done!

I always appreciate the skill and expertise of people who work with their hands on projects like yours.

I think what surprises me most is the "Gibson" logo applied to the headstock.

I thought they would be impossible to source, to deter scammers from faking Gibsons.

RBSinTo

9 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Guitar Rescue 101 !!!   Fantastic Job.   Saved this one - it had one foot on a banana peel and the other in the trash heap.     Also curious how you fixed this divots ??   They seem to suggest this guitar was played and loved for at least 50 years on a regular basis. 

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Frets/FBoardDivot/fboardivot.html

Guitar was played hard. Surprisingly it has a perfect neck angle and the frets, although grooved fairly deep, had enough height to be dressed.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Dave, 

I think what surprises me most is the "Gibson" logo applied to the headstock.

I thought they would be impossible to source, to deter scammers from faking Gibsons.

RBSinTo

Ebay

8 hours ago, Dave F said:

Is there a reason you didn’t go with a stock adjustable Bridge?

The original rosewood adjustable saddle was usable, and I tried it. That saddle and the bridge slot had distorted into a slight banana shape and one of the stud holes was off center to the slot. That's why I went the insert route.

Did you replace the Nut?

No, the nut is original and not altered.

What did you fill the divots with? 

I used the Frank Ford method. I've had vintage guitar frets filled in by a luthier in the past but did not like the dark spots it left. I read this a while back and decided I would try it or have my luthier try it the next time I needed it. I made a short 12" radius sanding block so I would not have to remove the frets. It worked really well, and I like the way it looks.

FRETS.COM

Nice job on the Headstock..

Thanks. I didn't bother smoothing the surface and filling in any dings or voids so it would not look too pretty.

I’m always amazed at the tricks & techniques Craftsmen come up with to get ideal end results.. The mind of Man is amazing.. I’m all for more Threads like this.. We’ll done my friend..

14 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Btw. saw a contemporary J-50 with adjustable (tusq) bridge/saddle yesterday. Intend to return and try it  - in the ideal world slip down a ceramic original insert. 

Have been taking a break from the guitar for awhile to concentrate on other things, but I have a 2020 J-50 with the ADJ bridge and it's still my favorite guitar. Here's one of several threads we have about that model. I am rather disappointed however because the bridge is lifting up from the guitar body on one side. Doesn't seem to affect the sound (much) and the bolts that hold the ADJ saddle are keeping it from lifting too much but someday I need to get it fixed.

Edited by Boyd

13 hours ago, Boyd said:

Have been taking a break from the guitar for awhile to concentrate on other things, but I have a 2020 J-50 with the ADJ bridge and it's still my favorite guitar. Here's one of several threads we have about that model. I am rather disappointed however because the bridge is lifting up from the guitar body on one side. Doesn't seem to affect the sound (much) and the bolts that hold the ADJ saddle are keeping it from lifting too much but someday I need to get it fixed.

Actually returned and tried the thing today. A very convincing guitar with a high level of response and a loud 'tongue'. Will be remarkable in 12-20 years time.                                                                                                     However I'd like to hear it with a ceramic saddle - the tusq is too mellowblooby and doesn't caption the distinct character of the porcelain.                                                                                                                            Gibson kind of shoot  itself in the foot by choosing tusq - bone would be better, but Bozeman ! GO FOR BURNED WHITE CLAY