Gibson Brands Forums

Additions To Olympic Sports

Sgt. Pepper

So Cricket, Baseball/Softball (they are not soft), Squash, La Crosse and Flag Football are going to be Olympic sports in 2028?

I've seen about a total of 15 mins of Cricket in my life. I want to learn how to be the Demon Bowler and throw a wicked googley. I rode past a Cricket Green when I was in Barbados. The shuttle driver was listening to it on the radio, and then they took a break for tea time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2023/10/16/los-angeles-olympics-squash-cricket-flag-football-lacrosse/

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I'm not allowed to access that link without parting with money or my soul.

I once had a discussion with an old friend whose wife had persuaded him to pee sitting down (I know we joke about this, but its true). This is to avoid random splashes outside the bowl. I said that it would spoil the daily challenge for me. It ended up with us considering it for an Olympic event. Accuracy being paramount. We ditched the idea after realising that Israel would bag Gold every time.

Hmmmm.  Baseball was an Olympic sport from 1992-2008, then dropped.  Go figure.

I have made several serious attempts to watch Cricket, but have been unsuccessful to figure the sport out or develop any interest in it.

Pretty much lost interest in the Olympic a few years back when they came close to eliminating Wrestling, one of the original Olympic sports.  They came close, but reversed course and kept it.  I’m like, okay, you’re going to keep sports like Synchronized Swimming, Rhythmic Gymnastics and Badminton, but eliminate Wrestling?   Yeah, that makes sense.

7 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

He's an fictional author in Kurt Vonnegut books. He wrote the story about the aliens who communicated by tap dancing & farting. 

That's fiction. I thought we have been communicating with aliens like that for decades. 

The NASA Alien Tap Dance And Fart Translator. 

%)54)_&*$%@!7npjo;lapuw64epoiu

That means we are coming to take over your bodies as parasite hosts, and use you humans as food.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

He's an fictional author in Kurt Vonnegut books. He wrote the story about the aliens who communicated by tap dancing & farting. 

m-e.,

Years ago, after reading the book, I decided to learn the aliens' language.

The farting part was easy. I was a natural, but the tap-dancing was really tough.

Even today, they have trouble understanding me.

They say its my accent.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Haha 2

On 10/23/2023 at 6:28 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

So you guys over in England created a game that takes 8 hours to play? I thought an NFL game was long at about 3 to 3 and a half hours from start to finish. 

https://www.rookieroad.com/cricket/how-long-is-cricket-match-6268851/

Watching Cricket is a bit like watching paint dry.

Here's the most amusing thing to happen at a Cricket match: