Gibson Brands Forums

Wood splitting on Guitars Side!!!

Larsongs

I have a side split in my 000-16.  The mahogany was repaired and I didn't even ask for it because my darling dear Prudence had caused that split and I loved it.  But Ernie fixed it.  I know where it is and I can't find it, so there is hope that glue and cleat will work very well.

rct

The glue repair by Gibson may be the best option to do the repair.. I’m probably overthinking it.. As mentioned replacing the Side with new Wood would be quite an undertaking.. But, the big thing is the new Wood would not have the aged sound my 20+ year old Guitar has.. 

I’m researching but don’t really see any other options to repair..

Like a windshield, three options:  Repair with glue, Replace it, or Leave it and see if it gets worse!   I'm guessing wood, being the epitome of a product nature has made and man uses extensively, will sometimes show structural defects.  20 years? Even after 50 years:  Sort of like people. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

It's been 7 business days since you sent the photos they asked for.  I would assume you won't hear back until next year. 

I’m not sure it’s a good idea to ship it from California to Bozeman or Nashville in the middle of winter anyhow. I just want to get the ball rolling…

Edited by Larsongs

Look at the furthest left guitar in my rack. It’s my 15 year old Martin D15. These guitars are notorious for thin mahogany sides, with a propensity to crack easily. In Martin land they call it “the key crack”, because it comes from playing your guitar with keys in your pocket.

My side cracked about 8 years back. I wicked some glue in the crack, and then said Ruckit, and threw that NB sticker on. The repair has held!

The moral is don’t play guitar sitting down with keys in your pocket.

RL1f4Vm.jpg

Edited by Salfromchatham
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Look at the furthest left guitar in my rack. It’s my 15 year old Martin D15. These guitars are notorious for thin mahogany sides, with a propensity to crack easily. In Martin land they call it “the key crack”, because it comes from playing your guitar with keys in your pocket.

My side cracked about 8 years back. I wicked some glue in the crack, and then said Ruckit, and threw that NB sticker on. The repair has held!

The moral is down play guitar sitting down with keys in your pocket.

RL1f4Vm.jpg

Sorry to hear you had a similar Side Crack but good to hear you remedied it.. I had never of a Key Crack before..

I usually play standing up.. The Crack on mine is on the Top Side… I’m still puzzled as it lives in 65-78 degree Studio most of the time with Humidifier set at 50%… My Gibson J-160E is about 20 years old. My 50 year old D-35 lives in the same Studio & has no Cracks.. Both Guitars are played equally.

43 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Sorry to hear you had a similar Side Crack but good to hear you remedied it.. I had never of a Key Crack before..

I usually play standing up.. The Crack on mine is on the Top Side… I’m still puzzled as it lives in 65-78 degree Studio most of the time with Humidifier set at 50%… My Gibson J-160E is about 20 years old. My 50 year old D-35 lives in the same Studio & has no Cracks.. Both Guitars are played equally.

Right.  There are no absolutes in most things in this world, but especially in guitars.

rct

9 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

The moral is don't play guitar sitting down with keys in your pocket.

I'll be darned.

I've never heard that term.

My keys have been on a dangle (belt loop or belt type) since they've become so damned huge in the last decade or so. 

BODdz6k.jpg

However, I do carry a pocketknife in my right front pocket. And a Space pen. I just looked and my two Gibsons have some scruffing going on down there, but no cracks.

Funny, I NEVER look there. I was just thinking as I pulled them off the wall how I never look at the bottom. I play sitting down all the time, and me and Owen will often use barstools and sit down for gigs, not always, but about 1/2 the time.

Sounds like a road trip Larsongs. Or two. I'd hate to ship my 2003 J-45.

I don't think I could do it.

2 hours ago, Murph said:

I'll be darned.

I've never heard that term.

My keys have been on a dangle (belt loop or belt type) since they've become so damned huge in the last decade or so. 

BODdz6k.jpg

However, I do carry a pocketknife in my right front pocket. And a Space pen. I just looked and my two Gibsons have some scruffing going on down there, but no cracks.

Funny, I NEVER look there. I was just thinking as I pulled them off the wall how I never look at the bottom. I play sitting down all the time, and me and Owen will often use barstools and sit down for gigs, not always, but about 1/2 the time.

Sounds like a road trip Larsongs. Or two. I'd hate to ship my 2003 J-45.

I don't think I could do it.

I have & still do take my Guitars with me when I travel.. I usually carry on & put in a closet in near the Cockpit of the Plane. But, not always able to. I do take it with me in my Car or Truck when I go play somewhere. But, I’m usually more careful of my guitars than I am with myself… I don’t like a lot of stuff in my pockets. If I carry keys it’s usually just a Car or Truck key..

Do Cracks ever happen for no reason? They just crack!

3 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Do Cracks ever happen for no reason? They just crack!

I'd have to say yes, I mean, it's a tree. They break, crack and fall down whenever they want to. I've seen them fall uphill. A perfectly healthy oak tree fell across my bridge at my property. Really cheesed me off. It could have gone any other direction and not hurt a thing.

Stupid tree...

Gluing and cleating is definitely the solution…if you’re like me, you’ll overthink it for a bit when you get the guitar back, and convince yourself it sounds different, put it in the case and worry about it for a while…then take it out and fall in love with it all over again, and forget the repair was ever done! 

I’ve seen plenty of side cracks happen to other players due to keys in the pocket. Mahogany can be fragile when cut and sanded thinly for sides, my Martin D18GE prototype had a key crack when it came back to me recently, after I bought it back from a friend I’d sold it to during the Covid ordeal. I didn’t make a fuss about it as he’s a lovely guy and knew he’d feel guilty/responsible…I glued and cleated it myself, and I never think about it now. It’s strong and has stayed a stable repair so I’m happy.

• Upvote 1

Heard anything yet?

I just had a 4 month old recliner break under warranty a few weeks ago.

Haven't heard from them yet.

I'm gonna throw it through their window like that old tire commercial....

Posted (edited)

Well that really sucks Murph.. I don’t blame you..

I haven’t from Gibson.. I’ll call them this week.. I’m coming to terms with Gluing & Cleating.. I would Hope & think Gibson will do a good job. I will ask them to look over the entire Guitar & see if there’s anything else that needs to be done.. After 21 years it may be time for a re-fret as I plan to be around for another 20 years. If I’m lucky..

Edited by Larsongs

Called Gibson today. Gave Customer Service Rep my Case number.. He said, there is no record of it.. Send another email. He waited while I sent another Warranty/Service request. He sent a confirmation of receipt & said someone will reach out to me soon…

While a side crack is obviously not a good thing it's not uncommon and is easily repaired by a competent tech.  Gluing and cleating cracks is a time-honored method of dealing with such misfortune and the guitar is no worse off in the end.  No need to go through the time and aggravation of returning it to Gibson..............and good tech/luthier can fix this issue blindfolded.

• Upvote 1

I’m sending it to Gibson for a complete overall inspection.. It’s a 20+ year old Guitar.. There are things most of us can’t see that may need attention.. Inside Braces, underside of Bridge, etc..  If it’s already developed one Crack what else might there be? If there’s any Warranty work that needs to be done they can do that also. It may also need refretting. Or, who knows what..

I really don’t like any one doing anything to my expensive Guitars other than Set ups & String changes.. And usually I do that myself.. I’ve had too many bad experiences..

If it's a cheapie Epi, Squire or something like that.. Yeah.. If it’s 3000, $4000, $5000 Guitar or higher $$$ Guitar… No…

Edited by Larsongs

On 12/16/2023 at 2:31 AM, Larsongs said:

I have a 2001 Gibson Bozeman Masterbilt J-160E Solid Top that I bought new.. It is a fantastic Guitar. It is one of my main Guitars I play all the time.. 

Today I was doing some Care & Maitenance on a few of my Guitars.. As I do regularly to keep them in excellent condition. I usually do a few at a time & rotate the Herd as needed..

After checking adjustments, inspecting I started polishing my J-160E. I noticed a crack or split on the Side about 3-4" long. It's right down the center & is following the grain of the Mahogany wood..  Are there two pieces of Wood fit together on the Sides?

I'm kind of freaking out right now as this is an important Guitar & they don't make them anymore.. I have a 50 year old Martin D-35 & it doesn't have anything like this! This is not normal.. 

My Guitars are well cared for & always kept in a controlled environment with 40-50% humidity. Temps 70-80 degrees in Southern California..

I just called Gibson. They said to send them some Pics of monsieur dior menu.. Service@Gibson.com. And we'll go from there....

just saw another thread where a nice rosewood guitar developed a crack - the back, along the grain. No idea how. At the same moment, I rudely knocked my mahogany OM into god-knows-what, for the 1000th time. Once again, right as rain. The thing is a tank, wrapped in Valerian steel With that, what are the more durable backs & side woods? Contrarily, which are most fragile, once transformed into an acoustic guitar?? Lots of variables here - understood. Curious about the generality in this case. Let me re-premise. In your opinion, what are the most worry-free woods that still make for a fine-sounding instrument? Which should I handle like a sea-sick newborn baby with the flu? Thanks to you fine people, as always.

10 minutes ago, cayine said:

just saw another thread where a nice rosewood guitar developed a crack - the back, along the grain. No idea how. At the same moment, I rudely knocked my mahogany OM into god-knows-what, for the 1000th time. Once again, right as rain. The thing is a tank, wrapped in Valerian steel With that, what are the more durable backs & side woods? Contrarily, which are most fragile, once transformed into an acoustic guitar?? Lots of variables here - understood. Curious about the generality in this case. Let me re-premise. In your opinion, what are the most worry-free woods that still make for a fine-sounding instrument? Which should I handle like a sea-sick newborn baby with the flu? Thanks to you fine people, as always.

My guess, and it's only a guess...Maple

2 hours ago, cayine said:

Walnut is pretty dense.  I feel like my J 45 Studio feels awfully sturdy compared to my rosewood Taylor 714 ltd.  My DIF is maple, but somehow it seems more delicate, but that could just be I feel like it should be.  I’ve never bashed it against anything to test it out 😎

27 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

….. My DIF is maple, but somehow it seems more delicate, but that could just be I feel like it should be.  I’ve never bashed it against anything to test it out 😎

I feel like the neck on my DIF could snap if I played it too hard. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Do they make Oak Guitars? That’s a hard wood.

I’ve owned a couple parlor guitars from around 1920 that had oak sides and back. I don’t remember much about them but they did exist. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Do they make Oak Guitars? That’s a hard wood.

20 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

I’ve owned a couple parlor guitars from around 1920 that had oak sides and back. I don’t remember much about them but they did exist. 

Exciting 🌳
So now beech is the question.