Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Gibson Generation G-45

Well, that didn’t last. I got down to two guitars: my 15year old Martin D-15 and new Martin 000 Cherry Hill. My J-45 TV went to a forum member and good friend, and the Taylors went as trade-in towards the Martin. 

I couldn’t take not having a Gibson, but at the same time I love the narrower (000) depth guitars. The Gibson Generation G-45 fit the bill! I played it in a shop, and they gave me a crazy good deal. It has a solid Sitka top, walnut back and sides, a mahogany neck,  and an ebony bridge and fretboard. It weighs next to nothing. I did put on my old truss rod cover, as well as  a J-50 style guard I got on eBay for $18.

I got this for under $1,000 all in; the gig bag it came in is worth $200 on its own- a serious soft gig bag:

TTktwC9h.jpg

C667eyY.jpg

Yes there is a video of some “content creator click baiter” cutting one in half and not liking a spot of glue or whatever, but I’m telling you this thing is friggin awesome, especially for short coin. The guitar is loud, it growls, it’s comfortable, and that player port is just simply nice. I don’t care that it is there, and I wouldn’t care if it wasn’t.

Edited PS: In this price range you can get an all wood polyurethane finished Epiphone or Eastman slope. The Eastmans look nice. I thought hard about an E6 or E10 SS. But they are wider, heavy, and they don’t sound like a Gibson.  You’re gonna want that Gibson.

Edited by Salfromchatham
  • Like 2

• MorrisrownSal changed the title to NGD: Gibson Generation G-45

Oh wow- I wish I didn't see this, or read your glowing report- the guitar clicks several boxes for me, especially it being a more comfy Gibson slope, and a curiosity about walnut and a sound port guitar. Figuring the decreased body depth, along with the serious break angle many of these seem to have, should make for a guitar with ample projection.

The Batwing guard looks great on there . . . . An enjoyable NGD weekend to you, too.

I really like it.

I played one with a port and think it's a brilliant idea.

I'm also a huge fan of walnut. It gets looked over a lot and that's a loss for some people.

Congrats, Sal.

Mighty fine.

Thanks all!

the sound port does make a difference. It is not earth shattering, but when you play you get especially some treble coming at ya. Not bad for old fogies who lose high frequency hearing.

Buc, the factory includes a black plastic teardrop.  And the strap button is OEM. And it is comfortable. I love my OOO from Martin, but I also remember how I liked the J45 Studio Walnut as well… it is slim.

its simply a nice guitar period, and it sounds so much more alive than the knockoff 45s made by a few different folks overseas.

On 1/13/2024 at 3:06 PM, Salfromchatham said:

Well, that didn’t last. I got down to two guitars: my 15year old Martin D-15 and new Martin 000 Cherry Hill. My J-45 TV went to a forum member and good friend, and the Taylors went as trade-in towards the Martin. 

I couldn’t take not having a Gibson, but at the same time I love the narrower (000) depth guitars. The Gibson Generation G-45 fit the bill! I played it in a shop, and they gave me a crazy good deal. It has a solid Sitka top, walnut back and sides, a mahogany neck,  and an ebony bridge and fretboard. It weighs next to nothing. I did put on my old truss rod cover, as well as  a J-50 style guard I got on eBay for $18.

I got this for under $1,000 all in; the gig bag it came in is worth $200 on its own- a serious soft gig bag:

TTktwC9h.jpg

C667eyY.jpg

Yes there is a video of some “content creator click baiter” cutting one in half and not liking a spot of glue or whatever, but I’m telling you this thing is friggin awesome, especially for short coin. The guitar is loud, it growls, it’s comfortable, and that player port is just simply nice. I don’t care that it is there, and I wouldn’t care if it wasn’t.

Edited PS: In this price range you can get an all wood polyurethane finished Epiphone or Eastman slope. The Eastmans look nice. I thought hard about an E6 or E10 SS. But they are wider, heavy, and they don’t sound like a Gibson.  You’re gonna want that Gibson.

Kojivit Ultra Cream is a skincare solution known for its potent blend of Kojic Acid, Arbutin, and Vitamin C, designed to address hyperpigmentation and promote a brighter, even skin tone. With its advanced formulation, it aims to reduce dark spots and enhance skin clarity.

My wife heard a new G-45 the other day and was so impressed that she ordered one for me. It came today. Workmanship is perfect. I can't find anything to complain about. Even the tuning machines are aligned perfectly. Frets are great, nice thin nitro finish, clean inside and out. The walnut back includes some sapwood and looks nice. Playability is great. The guitar is light as a feather, very responsive, and sounds great. Tone is somewhere between mahogany and maple. It has the good Gibson mids with a little growl, plus a rather sparkling top end. Lots of chime. The much ballyhooed "Player Port" is very well done, and finished in beautifully. It does allow you to hear more, without diminishing normal projection. I don't mind it. But it's really neither here nor there for me. The guitar is light as a feather, with very quick response. The body is thinner than my four other AJ-shaped guitars, which range from a 1958 Gibson Country Western Custom Shop reissue to an Epiphone FT-79 Texan "Inspired By 1964". All are mahogany, except one rosewood sunburst model. This is a great guitar for the money. Very plain, but playability, sound, and comfort are first rate. It is worthy of the Gibson name. You get quite a good guitar for the money, with a little extra sparkle and chime on top of the underlying Gibson mids. Taylor lovers would like this one. I'd highly recommend them. At the price, you'd be hard pressed to find a better guitar.

The Sound Port is a turn off to many. I think for that reason Gibson dropped the price significantly..  If they sound good they’re a strong buy IMO.. What difference does a Sound Port make? Maybe it’s an improvement? 

A Great lower cost Gibson made in the US!  I bought  one.  And the sound port cover does provide a decent amount of sound thru the Sound Hole - but it's not Ground breaking.  I luv the string spacing and neck shape on these models - They really feel good in my hands.  I know some folks are not bowled over by these guitars - But I feel they play and Sound just fine. And for an American Made Gibson Acoustic - It's really worth the cost - They are very affordable.   I Luv Sal's Pickguard change!

priyuvwd3gzhpaev6nfb.webp

Edited by Gasman

Ken, I have that soundport cover too. When it’s on , you lose some bang up top. And still hear a magnificent Gibson. I have to tell ya’, I like this creature more than many a Standard I’ve played.

Cayine, excellent post. This guitar pops. It’s crisp, and the trebles do pop, like on a Taylor 314 or 214, however you still get more bass, and that Gibson raw growl.

I was eyeing an Eastman or Epiphone IBG, and man there is just no comparison.  If I could only have one guitar, I’d still choose  my Martin OOO Cherry Hill, but I’d sneak this Sally Through the Alley and in the back door. I’d have to.

Glad you enjoy yours, JC. Good to see that the model gets love from guitarists who understand Gibson.

livemusic, if your guitar has a pickup, especially a k&k, and you play live with volume, the guitar can feedback. The soundhole cover cuts that down markedly. You would never use a sound plug outside of that.

Good grab, Sal.  Those Gibson strings tug hard when you don’t have one around, don’t they…  I noticed it in the background in your Facebook song post.  Thought maybe it was an apparition.  Glad it’s the real deal.

roger

On 1/14/2024 at 4:21 PM, livemusic said:

What is the purpose of the soundhole cover. What is the need to use it?

Well if you are referring to the Port Hole cover - Once the Port is covered up you get a bit more sound out thru the Sound hole - Of course without it the sound almost circles your head in a good way.