Gibson Brands Forums

My band's show tonite

solacematt

Was absolutley horrendous, or at least my drummer was. So I booked and put together this show about a month ago, my band, my good friends band, and a band we saw a few weeks ago. I figured it would be a pretty cool bill. My Smashing Pumpkins meets Alice In Chains style band, a band similar to Sunny Day Real Estate, and a band kind of like At The Drive-In/Mars Volta.

So myself and my band's bass player have been, for the past few weeks, trying to get our drummer up to par so that, well we don't suck live. Thursday the consense of it was, well, we should be ok.

Tonite when we got to the venue we hung out with the people we knew that showed up, everything seemed ok. None of us were nervous. I'll admit, I was feeling a bit iffy when the owner of the venue said that he was using some borrowed gear because the last show they had blew out some of their gear and they were still awaiting the replacements to come. After the first band played though and I heard how it sounded I knew that we would be ok as far as the pa was concerned, and the sound man did do a great job for the vocals.

The band before us my bass player let use his bass rig since their bassist just incidentally blew his bass rig out at their show the previous night, so his gear was already up and set up. So me and my drummer started loading our stuff in through the side door and onto the stage. After setting up my halfstack, tuning my two guitars and making sure everything on my pedal board worked did vocal soundcheck. I was happy, it sounded good.

So we start our set...and this is when the train wreck starts. One of my fears was that my drummer would play the chorus of one of our songs too slow...oh he did that...he also played every song in the set a lot slower than they were supposed to be. It really threw myself and my bassist off quite a bit, but we kept on with our 7 song 35 min set. That mentioned song I was afraid of my drummer playing too slow...yea, he did it. I ended up blowing my voice out on it during the chorus and for the rest of the set was extra rough, growly, and kind of metal sounding.

The odd thing was after the set a bunch of people said that they really liked us and wanted to see us again. I'm like...uhm...o..k.. Than mit got weirder. A few people came up to me and said that I was a great frontman and really 'intense.' I'm like thinking, I was beyond pissed, that's supposed to be intense? Didn't quite get it, but whatever. Funny thing is that the band that went on before us asked us if we wanted to be on a few other bills with them so I said sure.

Another night I won't soon forget, because it wasn't such a great show. My bassists' wife filmed it. I'll soon be able to relive the carnage again. ::smacks head::

Good 'ol D-Rack strikes again...Gotta love braindead Wiggers right ?...lol....All I gotta say is that wannabe ghetto rich white boy better get his **** together when I get back because I'll knock him over the head with a beer bottle...For those who don't know, I was in the band when it started (playing bass) but I moved out to L.A. to go to school....Now I'm coming back to the band but I'll be playing guitar....Which is more my thing than bass...But ever since I met this "drummer" he's been nothing but one disappointment after another...When I went out on tour opening up for Mushroomhead with my other band I was supposed to start playing with Matt's band when I got back but this ****** couldn't get it together...He's been playing (sort of) these songs for close to a year and still doesn't know the names of the songs....It's really quite sad....I dunno much about this "bass player" he replaced me with when I left but I know he still doesn't play my parts the way I wrote them....I'm not surprised though....It's hard to copy perfection...and no...I'm not joking....I am that damn good...haha

Sorry for your bad night. We've all had them. At least your drummer showed up! I remember many a gig when ours didn't. It's strange that your drummer played too slow because it's usually the other way around. I suspect that there was more than blood flowing through your drummer's veins. Good luck. There's always another gig, well, unless you quit playing out like I did some 15 years ago. I actually found our drummer though and all is forgiven. He really wants to play out again and we've practiced a few times.

It should be legal to "euthanize" drummers...They have this really cool thing now called a drum machine' date=' it never loses the beat, never gets drunk and is not prone to drug addiction....Just sayin...[/quote']

Not to mention, a drum machine never needs a ride to practice when it breaks up with its girlfriend.

Euthanizing a drummer seems a bit redundant. They're already halfway there.

I wish he was on medication, at least that would have been a somewhat valid excuse. Euthanization of drummers, now THAT would be awesome, haha.

My throat feels like shredding newspaper right now. Sooo pissed. Turns out he pissed off the other band that I put on the bill that went on after us. the general consensus of him was 'what a ****.' I feel embarassed.

Another note on the click track thing which is kinda funny.....When we were in the studio recording Matt played to a click track and D-Rack (The Nut Sack) played off Matt because (and I'm quoting) "That **** will throw me off yo"......So yeah......Made recording my bass tracks a lot of fun...lol

Sorry about that matt' date=' like pumpkin said "you did your part".

I dont have a band, I play along with tracks. they dont screw up.

BTW

This drummer [i'] does [/i] sound like a ****.

yea. The band that went on after us, they were like, that was ****ed up. Your drummer...****.' So my response was yea, now you know exactly why I've been looking for a new drummer on the side.

I feel pretty lucky. Frank (our drummer) has his issues, especially with his unstable relationships, but he is a good guy. He's fun to jam with. Aside from the occasional tempo changes and the tendency to get carried away (especially on Zep tunes), he mostly impress all of us in the band.

I guess I'm lucky all the way around. Wicked1 kicks all our asses in her ability to rock out. Our other guitarist (Matt) is a better guitar player then me. Our new bassist is coming along nicely and has become irreplaceable. Hell, I am even getting better, and at moments I kick some *** on my LP.

Keep it up solacematt you will find a drummer.

Archived