Gibson Brands Forums

Inspired by Keb Mo 12-Fret J45 Standard?

hey friends. i've been on the hunt for awhile for a 12 fret, sloped dread or southern jumbo. i came across this one over in japan. Ikebe seems to be a reputable store from the research I've done, so I don't think they're lying about it or it's a fake. apparently, it was some sort of prototype or 'inspired by keb mo' as the sheet says. i'd love to hear any thoughts on the certificate or the model. i've asked for a picture of the sticker to see what the model number says. 

I owned a 12-fret J-45 for a awhile a few years ago.  It was a fine instrument but not so different from a 14-fret model.  Felt a little more compact and was fun to play though.  It was not "inspired by web mo'"............just a plain ol' 12-fret 45.

https://imgur.com/a/eUH2YjW

(Why won't this act like it ought to?!?)

Edited by Buc McMaster

That Keb Mo "3.0" J45 became available at least in the States in 2023.  I just looked and Sweetwater has four of them in stock. So, if you believe there is something either inky or rare and wonderous about the one offered in Japan you have something to compare it to.

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

. . . Sweetwater has four of them in stock. 

There are many reasons this would be a much safer way to go. Even though the one in Japan is much less expensive, the risks are  higher. The costs and risks of shipping , import duties, time  languishing in Customs,  to name a few.  even if there was return., Those costs & risks  would also be on the buyer.

Occasionally, used 12 fret J45’s  come up on Reverb for sale, also,  but a US buyer purchasing from Sweetwater would not only qualify you for the full warranty, but you would be able to speak with your “sales engineer“ who would listen to your preferences and pick one of those four available guitars that most closely matched  what you were looking for.

2 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

Yes- imgur recently changed their website, making uploaded pics as “posts“ going into their stream of pics/emojis, and less as a photo hosting site.

Edited by 62burst

I just looked at the exchange rate, and if the one in Japan is real, it is cheaper than SW by 2k. Not sure what shipping would be. The 4 on SW are $4299.

328,000 Yen = $2184

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/J45KebMo12VS--gibson-acoustic-keb-mo-3.0-12-fret-j-45-acoustic-electric-guitar-vintage-sunburst?serial=23483012

If I were you I would buy all of them at that price that Japan has, and under cut SW on Reverb by $500 or so, and stick it to the man.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

I owned a 12-fret J-45 for a awhile a few years ago.  It was a fine instrument but not so different from a 14-fret model.  Felt a little more compact and was fun to play though.  It was not "inspired by web mo'"............just a plain ol' 12-fret 45.

It's you

wayRuoU.jpeg

Personally, I would not buy used guitars from Japan.

Just my opinion -

When one pops up on Ebay, 20 other sellers from Japan will copy the ad and put the same guitar up for sale.

I don't think they let the goods ones out of their country. I think they use USA as a dumping ground.

And as 62B mentioned, cost of returning it are prohibitive.

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1

thanks for your thoughts, everyone! a few updates...

• it isn't used. it is new & would come with a gibson warranty (are there any issues with warranties for guitars purchased overseas?). 
  • thanks for the heads up on the differences between the j45 & the keb mo 3.0. i was able to play a keb mo 3.0 back in Dec and really liked it. 
  • attached is the close-up of the sticker. 
  • when i search the serial number here, it says it's a custom shop from 2022...but the warranty cert says it was inspected in november of 23. is that weird?
  • for folks who know more than me, does anything look off on the sticker or the cert? again, the store that is actually selling the guitar is legit & i see no reason to be concerned about a counterfeit, but just doing my due diligence. 
  • i get the 'purchasing from somewhere like sweetwater' is less risky, but this is already just over my max budget. no chance i can afford any new or used keb mo 3.0 i've seen anywhere else. 

Thanks for all your help!

j45 sticker.jpg

I wouldn’t.

$2k off of a $4300 guitar doesn’t sound suspect to you?

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

Nothing about Keb on that label. You may be comparing pricing on two different models. 

Good catch. looking at online pics, the Keb models have orange labels.

And- Don’t export models normally carry a one year limited warranty?

Why is the certificate in the OP written on the form by Gibson’s Repair and Restoration department?

hmmm. . .

Edited by 62burst

4 hours ago, 62burst said:

I wouldn’t.

$2k off of a $4300 guitar doesn’t sound suspect to you?

Good catch. looking at online pics, the Keb models have orange labels.

And- Don’t export models normally carry a one year limited warranty?

Why is the certificate in the OP written on the form by Gibson’s Repair and Restoration department?

hmmm. . .

I didn't even notice the 'repair & restoration' piece of the cert. great question. 

as far as the warranty,  here is what gibson customer service told me today:

Thanks for writing. The warranty is only valid in the country of sale, so in the unlikely event that warranty service would be needed, the instrument would have to be returned to Japan for evaluation. Outside of the USA warranty terms and service are defined and handled by the individual countries' distributor. Information on warranties for USA purchases can be found at the link below. I hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That is not a Custom Shop label and it's not for a Keb' Mo' 3.0 J45.  I own one and that's not the label.  If it's being advertised as such - it's a fraud.  If you're simply assuming, it is not.  You won't find a new Gibson from Japan for less than half of a U.S. price.   The Keb' Mo' isn't just a 12-fret Gibson.  It's a unique, custom shop production that is the best sounding Gibson acoustics I've ever played.  The combination of features makes this a stellar guitar. 

Edited by MountainPlayer

The listing is not for a Keb Mo or even a Inspired By, but a J-45 Standard 12-fret. Whoever is using "Inspired By" may be using it loosely, as in, it's model that's like or takes some inspiration from  or is in the spirit of an actual Keb Mo.  Get some Keb Mo mojo without the premium of the Keb Mo name.

In fact, the translation of the listing says, "This is the 12th fret specification model of Gibson Acoustic's super standard model. The 12th fret joint changes the position of the sound hole and bridge, producing a richer sound. Also, the specifications of the pegs and binding are different from the regular model, and there is no pickguard installed, so it looks like a "Keb' Mo' 3.0 12-Fret J-45" and has a more vintage spec look. It has a full body tone and excellent playability."

Ikebe is a giant Japanese music store and legit business. They have a highly regarded Reverb shop, too. On their own website, use the  e English language button to inquire about international shipping and fees. You can also contact them through Reverb.

Red 333

Well I am really only interested in vintage, and there is no such thing as a vintage 12-fret J-45.  There are two Gibsons that share some  J-45 features and are 12-fret that were made as Hawaiian in the 1930s and that can be converted -- the ROY SMECK STAGE DELUXE (mahogany) and the ROY SMECK RADIO GRANDE (RW).  The have the slightly deep body of the 1934-1936 JUMBO and the 1936-early 1937 J-35 Trojan (J-35).  Th bracing is different from the banners and other J-45s and SJs.

Hi Brett,

If it it already above your price point be aware that it will cost you even more. Beyond shipping you will also have to pay the import duty to get it released from customs as well as a customs brokerage fee. This will add another 5-10% to the total price plus maybe $100 for the brokerage fee.