Gibson Brands Forums

How many guitars does a guitarist need?

2 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Not to "split hairs", but I would only say that I tend to keep my guitars because each of them serves a specific purpose. I truly see  no down side, except for cost, with "having too many of them".

Having too many women, in the "long term", tends to be exponentially costly, and exponentially complicated. Yet, I can confirm personally, that there is no such thing as "having" too many woman at once, in the short term, (save for potential health risks).

“potential health risk.”………lol………Guitars don’t get jealous….but women…..

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 11:00 AM, MissouriPicker said:

Here is #1 on the Facts of Life List!  Guitars are like women.  You can’t have too many.

Hmm. Depends on how much money you have for both guitars and women. But I think in the long run, guitars are cheaper.

But the question was NEED not WANT.

Want is infinite, needs are basic.  I only need 3 guitars and one woman. But that doesn't cure GAS in either department.

Guitar or Girl Acquisition Syndrome. :D :D

Notes ♫

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Hmm. Depends on how much money you have for both guitars and women. But I think in the long run, guitars are cheaper.

But the question was NEED not WANT.

Want is infinite, needs are basic.  I only need 3 guitars and one woman. But that doesn't cure GAS in either department.

Guitar or Girl Acquisition Syndrome. :D :D

Notes ♫

Post of the day ... 

Yep, absolutely right.

• Like 1

From an USA Today article. A man after my heart.

Journey guitarist Neal Schon talks touring essentials, prized guitars and favorite songs (msn.com)

What is Neal Schon's favorite guitar?

Schon just laughs at the question. "I've had more guitars in my life, but right now I still have about 750 or so," he says. "They're all great, and I don't really have one in particular that I favor."

3 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Journey guitarist Neal Schon talks touring essentials, prized guitars and favorite songs (msn.com)

Schon just laughs at the question. "I've had more guitars in my life, but right now I still have about 750 or so," he says. "They're all great, and I don't really have one in particular that I favor."

This is going to pop Sarge’s brain! Bonamassa’s just a dilettante now.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

This is going to pop Sarge’s brain! Bonamassa’s just a dilettante now.  

Insanity. Tell me he can be blindfolded and tell what guitar is what by just hearing it clean. No f-ing way.

I think Joe is picky and only collects Gibson and Fender. Maybe Martin’s too. He has a stupid amount of Fender amps too. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

18 hours ago, Dave F said:

750 ? He probably cant recall most of them. I couldn't anyway. 

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

750 ? He probably cant recall most of them. I couldn't anyway. 

That’s an interesting thing about the collector mind.  I have several “collections”  minor and serious ones I’ve amassed over the years.  

Perhaps the heftiest is our art collection.  By the time we were over that, we had amassed nearly 200 pieces of work.  Except for a handful of slightly nicer pieces, nothing to brag about, much less retire on, just works that were of specific interest to us.  

My point is, besides our actual catalogue, I wander around thinking I have a pretty complete mental census of all the artists and works we have.  But, as time goes by —and my head has been turned by guitars— things are getting a bit murkier.  I find now, I often stumble across something tucked away I realize I had forgotten all about.  

The good thing is it’s like a finding a little treasure all over again.   I get to go “Hey, we DO have a piece by this guy! I forgot how much I liked this one! Let’s hang it back up!”

And best part is, I didn’t have to spend anything but get to feel like I got a new toy all over again 😀

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Insanity. Tell me he can be blindfolded and tell what guitar is what by just hearing it clean. No f-ing way.

I think Joe is picky and only collects Gibson and Fender. Maybe Martin’s too. He has a stupid amount of Fender amps too. 

Okay 750 is, IMHO, just a bit excessive. 😁

As far as amps, I can see why someone might want a few. There are certainly some sonic differences between various old tweed Fender models, and I suspect that's why Joe has a bunch of different ones. Plus the fact that he just likes gear, and IMHO, there's nothing wrong with that. He also has at least two Dumbles that I am aware of (including Lowell George's old one), and maybe more.  I think he also owns several Marshalls, too. 

I can't really justify any more amps beyond what I already own. I currently have thirteen, the last time I counted, and I have most of the sonic "bases" that I'm interested in covered by the ones I have. Okay, technically, I maybe own 15, if you count a couple of DIY builds I've loaned out long-term, but I consider those to be gifted to the people who have them at this point. 

At least I can name all the ones I still have... which I doubt Joe can do with all of his amps.... 😃

Vox AC15cc1 with a Weber Blue Dog Alnico

Fender Rivera-era (1982 or 1983) Super Champ that I modded for EL34s and an inductor-based EQ (it's a screamer!)

'83 Fender Princeton Reverb II with a stock Fender 12F E/V speaker (super-rare factory speaker option)

Pignose 7-100

Self-built Fender Tweed 5F2A Princeton clone with a Jupiter Alnico speaker

'71 Fender Princeton Amp (which I got for $80 at a local pawn shop about twenty years ago and restored/blackfaced - internally and externally)

MESA/Boogie Mark Five: 25 head and MESA 1x12 cabinet

MESA/Boogie Fillmore 25 with Celestion Cream Alnico speaker and Custom Configured Tolex and grille cloth (probably the coolest looking amp I own)

SWR LA12 bass amp (which I use for acoustic guitar on those rare occasions when I play acoustic guitar live)

Marshall Class 5

Supro 1610RT Comet

Markbass Little Mark Vintage and Markbass 1x15 cabinet

THD Univalve and Fender 2x12 cabinet

Yes, I've been tempted to get one of the new Gibson Dual Falcon 20 2x10 amps, but I really can't justify it at the moment, and I need to replace my home's AC condenser soon, so if I do get eventually one, it's going to be a while...

And no, I probably can not name every single amp I've ever owned. The same is true for guitars, although my days of buying/selling are over and done with. Now I just buy what I really want/need when I can afford it, and hang on to it. I know the total number of guitars I've owned in my lifetime has been well into the three figure range, but it is nowhere near 750. But then again, I don't have Neal's bank account. Besides, I need to spend some money on my pedal collection (200+, and still growing) and my microphone collection, which is about 70, and still growing... 

1 hour ago, Phil OKeefe said:

Okay 750 is, IMHO, just a bit excessive. 😁

As far as amps, I can see why someone might want a few. There are certainly some sonic differences between various old tweed Fender models, and I suspect that's why Joe has a bunch of different ones. Plus the fact that he just likes gear, and IMHO, there's nothing wrong with that. He also has at least two Dumbles that I am aware of (including Lowell George's old one), and maybe more.  I think he also owns several Marshalls, too. 

I can't really justify any more amps beyond what I already own. I currently have thirteen, the last time I counted, and I have most of the sonic "bases" that I'm interested in covered by the ones I have. Okay, technically, I maybe own 15, if you count a couple of DIY builds I've loaned out long-term, but I consider those to be gifted to the people who have them at this point. 

At least I can name all the ones I still have... which I doubt Joe can do with all of his amps.... 😃

Vox AC15cc1 with a Weber Blue Dog Alnico

Fender Rivera-era (1982 or 1983) Super Champ that I modded for EL34s and an inductor-based EQ (it's a screamer!)

'83 Fender Princeton Reverb II with a stock Fender 12F E/V speaker (super-rare factory speaker option)

Pignose 7-100

Self-built Fender Tweed 5F2A Princeton clone with a Jupiter Alnico speaker

'71 Fender Princeton Amp (which I got for $80 at a local pawn shop about twenty years ago and restored/blackfaced - internally and externally)

MESA/Boogie Mark Five: 25 head and MESA 1x12 cabinet

Mesa/Boogie Fillmore 25 with Celestion Cream Alnico speaker and Custom Configured Tolex and grille cloth (probably the coolest looking amp I own)

SWR LA12 bass amp (which I use for acoustic guitar on those rare occasions when I play acoustic guitar live)

Marshall Class 5

Supro 1610RT Comet

Markbass Little Mark Vintage and Markbass 1x15 cabinet

THD Univalve and Fender 2x12 cabinet

Yes, I've been tempted to get one of the new Gibson Dual Falcon 20 2x10 amps, but I really can't justify it at the moment, and I need to replace my home's AC condenser soon, so if I do get eventually one, it's going to be a while...

And no, I probably can not name every single amp I've ever owned. The same is true for guitars, although my days of buying/selling are over and done with. Now I just buy what I really want/need when I can afford it, and hang on to it. I know the total number of guitars I've owned in my lifetime has been well into the three figure range, but it is nowhere near 750. But then again, I don' have Neal's bank account. Besides, I need to spend some money on my pedal collection (200+, and still growing) and my microphone collection, which is about 70, and still growing... 

I have about 1100 LPs, most are not the same. I have multiples of a few. I don’t have Neal’s bank account either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have about 1100 LPs, most are not the same. I have multiples of a few. I don’t have Neal’s bank account either.

Not only can I not afford 750 guitars I can't afford the house required to store them.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Karloff said:

Not only can I not afford 750 guitars I can't afford the house required to store them.

You’d have to live in something the size of an Amazon fulfillment center.

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...