Gibson Brands Forums

Famous band, obscure-ish song, but great solo

Name a famous (or if you prefer, a not so famous) band's semi (or totally) obscure song (IOW, not one of their big hits) that, despite not being a big hit or a super-well known song, has a great guitar solo in it. 

I'll lead off with Kings from the Steely Dan debut album, Can't Buy A Thrill. I think it's one of their more underrated songs, and certainly an underrated solo.  Solo played by Elliot Randall. 

Okay, now it's your turn. Whaddaya got for us to listen to? 

27 minutes ago, duane v said:

Really did this guitar solo

Elliot Easton is one of my favorite guitarists. He always plays for the song, and has done a ton of memorable solos IMO. This is one I actually took the time to learn note for note back in the day. 

14 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

Elliot Easton is one of my favorite guitarists. He always plays for the song, and has done a ton of memorable solos IMO. This is one I actually took the time to learn note for note back in the day. 

He's one of my favorite players as well. And you're correct he is truly a song player for sure. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 10:59 PM, rct said:

rct

I watched Van at the Montreaux Jazz Festival last weekend. He opened with that song. It’s a better live version than the studio one. Van omitted the cheesy clapping in the live version, and did a long into to the song. I have that album. And a ton more of his stuff. You could tell Van was inspired that show. It’s a great dvd. Van’s weird jazzy phase has many highs and lows. But he’s Van The Man for a reason.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

FZ - Inca Roads 

The classic solo was taken from a live show in one of the Scandinavian countries and spliced into the studio version. This is from A Token Of His Extream from a ‘74 TV show that never aired.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

FZ - Inca Roads 

The classic solo was taken from a live show in one of the Scandinavian countries and spliced into the studio version. This is from A Token Of His Extream from a ‘74 TV show that never aired.

Well at the very least they got the SG bevels right on the clay animation.

On 6/20/2024 at 8:42 AM, duane v said:

Here's another guitar solo I wished it would just keep going. I can Listen to Neal Schon solo all day long.

The album prior to ‘The Voice’ joining the band called Next is my favorite Journey album. Once Steve joined and disco was the rage, they got soft. He can sing his butt off tho. And Neal is a killer player. He played with Gary Moore on one song in SF when opening for Rush in ‘84. I live in the Bay Area for over 25 years and never saw Journey.

On 6/22/2024 at 7:38 AM, duane v said:

Well at the very least they got the SG bevels right on the clay animation.

George Duke and Chester Thompson are in the band. And how many rock bands have a xylophonist? Ruth is amazing. Frank is not gonna do anything run of the mill. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 6/23/2024 at 10:03 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

George Duke and Chester Thompson are in the band. And how many rock bands have a xylophonist? Ruth is amazing. Frank is not gonna do anything run of the mill. 

I'll always hold a special place in my heart for Mr. Zappa

He boldly stuck his neck out for all us musicians during the PMRC Senate hearings in front of all those self righteous Holy Roller Politicians and their wives.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2024 at 7:11 PM, sparquelito said:

IMO, Rick Derringer is hugely under-rated.  Bringing this back to the band I posted in the opening post of the thread, he also played the slide solo on Show Biz Kids, as well as the brilliant solo on this classic, yet more obscure, Steely Dan song: 

In my opinion, Zal Cleminson's solo on The Sensational Alex Harvey Bands Anthem is one of the greatest solo's ever recorded, in my opinion.  I've posted both the album version because it's better but, of course the live version is visually more appealing.  You also get Bagpipes as well!

On 6/24/2024 at 1:21 PM, duane v said:

I'll always hold a special place in my heart for Mr. Zappa

He boldly stuck his neck out for all us musicians during the PMRC Senate hearings in front of all those self righteous Holy Roller Politicians and their wives.

Agreed ...