Gibson Brands Forums

Have You Got It Yet?

A new Syd Barrett documentary is being released on DVD later this month, I've got my order in.

I just finished up A Very Irregular Head which is a biography on the late Mr. Barrett.  Interesting but I think it left out a bit.

Up next is Dark Globe which is another Syd Barrett biogarphy, perhaps that will fill in some of the blanks.

Nobody can really put their finger on what happened: was it mental illness, heavy drug usage, rebellion against the music industry and being trotted out to lip synch?

Syd certainly didn't shed any light on what was going on, he just clammed up.

3 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I really liked the first album.

After he left, they kind of flailed around for a bit trying to get their songwriting feet.

I liked "Astronomy Domine" (that's the title, right? It's been a while). Is that on the first album?

Yep.  

From what I was reading, that was a watered down version on the album.  

Sometimes the live version worked, sometimes it didn't and turned into endless noodling.

One interesting thing was when Pink Floyd needed a song, he'd just go into his room for a couple of minutes, come out and it's here you go.

It was just totally effortless.  

They did say he didn't like the repetition, do one thing and then it's on to the next.  I guess that's why he woud finish a painting, take a picture of it, burn  or throw away the canvas and then on to the next one.  It's over, it's done, who cares it's in the past.

At any rate, the DVD wil be out shortly if anyone is interested.

Posted (edited)

Syd is a martyr. He’s on one, count them one full PF album. For me The Floyd doesn’t hit their stride till Meddle. They have so many subpar albums like Atom Heart, More, Umma, Obscured, Piper, Saucer, and all the last ones. Bell and Lapse are over produced David Gilmour solo albums with some other Floyd guys playing on it. The Final Cut to me is a Rog solo album with a bit of Gilmour’s guitar on it. Dave does have the best song on that album with Not Now John. Syd’s two solo albums are a mess and not in a good way.

I do want to see the doc. I know little about him. Seems like his band mates, if they were his friends just let him dose and then see ya, you can’t do it any more. Too bad we’re gonna go get famous and you’re just gonna be a footnote in Rock history.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

It's sad and ironic that some musicians could try LSD back in the day and come out of it comparatively unaffected, like say for instance, Paul McCartney or John Lennon. 

Some could try it, and it would open up doors to spirituality and enhanced consciousness that would last a lifetime. I'm thinking of George Harrison. 

And some, like Syd Barrett, would end up severely damaged and irreparably harmed. Peter Green and Brian Wilson also come to mind. 

🥲

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

It's sad and ironic that some musicians could try LSD back in the day and come out of it comparatively unaffected, like say for instance, Paul McCartney or John Lennon. 

Some could try it, and it would open up doors to spirituality and enhanced consciousness that would last a lifetime. I'm thinking of George Harrison. 

And some, like Syd Barrett, would end up severely damaged and irreparably harmed. Peter Green and Brian Wilson also come to mind. 

🥲

It’s that way with any drug. Why will some who drink become alcoholics and some just drink a beer now and then?

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It’s that way with any drug. Why will some who drink become alcoholics and some just drink a beer now and then?

Not sure what, but I’m living proof that something is going on.  I come from a long line of alcoholics and other addictions.  I even married one the first time around.  But despite my best efforts to crash and burn in my youth, doing a prolonged tour of everything that could possibly ruin a person, I came out the other side virtually unscathed.  I finally got sick of feeling sick, and realized I needed to grow up if I wanted any kind of real life.  Now, decades later, I might have an occasional cocktail on a summer evening on the deck, but that’s about it.  I’m just glad I dodged the family bullet at the last minute.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I really liked the first album.

After he left, they kind of flailed around for a bit trying to get their songwriting feet.

I really like the 1st album too. Always liked Syd. Something of a tragic figure. I've watched every Syd doc available.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

I knew they were all young but it wasn't until late in the book that it clicked: it was all over for him at age 24.

They were just kids.

I wonder if he was imagining imaginary guitar notes that would irritate an executive kind of guy.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I knew they were all young but it wasn't until late in the book that it clicked: it was all over for him at age 24.

They were just kids.

Duane Allman died in a motorcycle crash at the age of 24 years and 11 months. 

🥲

fb877bd8cd203d3ca8004dce1815834a.499x499

Edited by sparquelito

Thanks Steve, I won’t buy it but will check it out when it appears on Tubi or YT or wherever. I’ve seen and read several things on Syd over the years and it’s interesting and sad every time. From a time when music could tolerate and embrace different approaches. You watch that video where the old guy interviews them and he’s so polite and together, but seems he was susceptible to things and people who weren’t right for him. His bandmates cared for him and felt guilty, probably to this day.

6 hours ago, 'Scales said:

His bandmates cared for him and felt guilty, probably to this day.

The two guys that have been in a shin-kicking contest ever since the guy croaked?  Them two?  lolz    

rct

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, rct said:

The two guys that have been in a shin-kicking contest ever since the guy croaked?  Them two?  lolz    

rct

Rog cares about one thing- his giant ego. He’s an awful human. Him and Dave need to get in a cage and first one to climb out wins. Then they both shut up about their squabble.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

To David Gilmour's credit, he always made sure there were Syd Barrett pieces on any of their compilations and that he got his royalties.

Nick Mason put together a Saucerful Of Secrets band so people can hear that old music again.

They never had the decency to tell Syd he was not in the band any longer, even with him sharing an apartment with Nick Wright at the time and David Gilmour living across the street.  

They're a strange bunch.

5 hours ago, rct said:

rct

Yes, and the others too. The ‘let’s not bother picking him up’ bit is well known (after gigs where he did nothing but stand on stage and stare), but plenty of times they’ve discussed the other side. The live 8 was in respect of Syd - those 2 guys were certainly not on stage for each other’s benefit.

8 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Yes, and the others too. The ‘let’s not bother picking him up’ bit is well known (after gigs where he did nothing but stand on stage and stare), but plenty of times they’ve discussed the other side. The live 8 was in respect of Syd - those 2 guys were certainly not on stage for each other’s benefit.

Rock Stars are garbage.