Gibson Brands Forums

Taylor 417e-R.. Why?

8 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

(Looks like non-european users are not being served this content.)
I looked it up on the Martin website, and it's the same guitar.
€33,000 in Europe. Nice, round number... but I bet the sound is heavenly!
Martin OM 20th Century Limited Acoustic Guitar | Martin Guitar

Oh yeah the one that comes with a watch as case candy, I think I stated a thread on that when it got released. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure about the original Taylor in this post. But $3000 doesn't seem too outrageous for a Taylor, Gibson or Martin these days. 

I personally have liked every Taylor I've played. I've never owned one, and the ones I've played have been played through PA in a gig situation. Felt good in my hands and sounded great in the mix. I'm sure I've picked a few up in GC or something and I don't remember thinking "this sounds sterile and soulless" or anything like that. But to be fair, I have never really sat with any Taylors and really scrutinized them.    

1 minute ago, saturn said:

I'm not sure about the original Taylor in this post. But $3000 doesn't seem too outrageous for a Taylor, Gibson or Martin these days. 

I personally have liked every Taylor I've played. I've never owned one, and the ones I've played have been played through PA in a gig situation. Felt good in my hands and sounded great in the mix. I'm sure I've picked a few up in GC or something and I don't remember thinking "this sounds sterile and soulless" or anything like that. But to be fair, I have never really sat with any Taylors and carefully scrutinized them.    

• Like 1

20 plus years ago I bought a Taylor 410.  I gigged it a while but found myself getting sleepy when I used it.  It had no charm for me, no excitement whatsoever.  It was a good 6 month try, but I traded it for something, I don't remember what.  Nice guitar, prolly a little too nice for me, no boom, no thump, no shimmer on top, just excellent but boring mids.  I've only played like three or four since.

rct

I played a Taylor 900 Series for awhile and it was an outstanding instrument. I ended up giving it to my nephew and he still plays the crap out of it.

As for the PRS guitars, I've played a few and those are also nice instruments, but no desire to ever own one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rct said:

20 plus years ago I bought a Taylor 410.  I gigged it a while but found myself getting sleepy when I used it.  It had no charm for me, no excitement whatsoever.  It was a good 6 month try, but I traded it for something, I don't remember what.  Nice guitar, prolly a little too nice for me, no boom, no thump, no shimmer on top, just excellent but boring mids.  I've only played like three or four since.

rct

Lindsey Buckingham makes em sound good. Maybe it’s his fingers? I sat 2nd row when I saw him. Wanted to smash all my guitars when I got home.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, saturn said:

I don't think $3k is too outrageous for a quality, American-made acoustic guitar, either. I have a thirty year old Taylor 510 that my wife bought for me new in 1994 as a wedding present. I really like it and in no small part, that's due to the neck size and shape, which, as a player with fairly short fingers, is something I've always been particular about. Many Taylors tend to have slim, comfortable necks. The last time I checked, they don't make the 510 model anymore, but I believe it listed for $2k or $2.2k at the time–something like that. It wasn't an inexpensive guitar, but it was hardly at the top of the line or as expensive as a 700, 800, or 900 series model. It's a very good sounding guitar for recording, and the tone has mellowed and become less bright as it has aged. 

I still play my Taylor a lot (and I have three other Taylors – a 150e 12-string, a Baby Taylor, and a GS Mini), but lately I've been spending a lot more time with my 2020 Gibson Walnut Burst J-15. Those are incredibly nice guitars IMO, and at around $2k list when brand new, they were very affordably priced, especially considering how much guitar you got for the money. 

Disclaimer time: all of the above are my own personal opinions. While I work for Gibson, with regards to this post, I do not represent Gibson in any manner. Any opinions expressed on this matter are my own and not necessarily those of Gibson.

38 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I don't think $3k is too outrageous for a quality, American-made acoustic guitar, either. I have a thirty year old Taylor 510 that my wife bought for me new in 1994 as a wedding present. I really like it and in no small part, that's due to the neck size and shape, which, as a player with fairly short fingers, is something I've always been particular about. Many Taylors tend to have slim, comfortable necks. The last time I checked, they don't make the 510 model anymore, but I believe it listed for $2k or $2.2k at the time–something like that. It wasn't an inexpensive guitar, but it was hardly at the top of the line or as expensive as a 700, 800, or 900 series model. It's a very good sounding guitar for recording, and the tone has mellowed and become less bright as it has aged. 

I still play my Taylor a lot (and I have three other Taylors – a 150e 12-string, a Baby Taylor, and a GS Mini), but lately I've been spending a lot more time with my 2020 Gibson Walnut Burst J-15. Those are incredibly nice guitars IMO, and at around $2k list when brand new, they were very affordably priced, especially considering how much guitar you got for the money. 

Disclaimer time: all of the above are my own personal opinions. While I work for Gibson, with regards to this post, I do not represent Gibson in any manner. Any opinions expressed on this matter are my own and not necessarily those of Gibson.

My opinions are mine as well, and don’t try to copy them.

17 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My opinions are mine as well, and don’t try to copy them.

Noted! I promise not to copy them,  but I can't guarantee that we won't share similar thoughts and opinions from time to time. Fair warning! [wink]

18 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

“Ford sucks!”

”Chevy sucks!”

Ummm .... FORD RULES!!!! lol 

Here are my two race cars:

My

Modified FORD1998 Cobra SVT (Set up for Drag Racing)..... Best ET (10.80 @ 148 mph).

IMG_6401.jpg

IMG_6400.jpg

022_4a_medium_zps51d12967.jpg

And my Factory5 Daytona Coupe Kit that took me 4 years to put together. (has a stoked Ford 351 to a 408)

9800A9B0-AC28-4B7F-890E-2265E6C94425-216

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Since this thread began as a discussion of a particular Taylor guitar, and my recemt circumstances, I'm going to use it to ask for some advice on a Taylor guitar, the 212 ce.

Lately, my torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders make playing my larger guitars more painful, and I have started to seriously consider something smaller, that includes the extra versatility of the single cutaway design.

Based on sound, playability, and yes, price, the Taylor 212ce is the best bang for the buck that I've found, and simply wanted some input, and advice on my choice.

I haven't yet decided whether I'll even purchase this or any other guitar, so brutal honesty would be appreciated.

Please and thanks.

RBSinTo

9 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Since this thread began as a discussion of a particular Taylor guitar, and my recemt circumstances, I'm going to use it to ask for some advice on a Taylor guitar, the 212 ce.

Lately, my torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders make playing my larger guitars more painful, and I have started to seriously consider something smaller, that includes the extra versatility of the single cutaway design.

Based on sound, playability, and yes, price, the Taylor 212ce is the best bang for the buck that I've found, and simply wanted some input, and advice on my choice.

I haven't yet decided whether I'll even purchase this or any other guitar, so brutal honesty would be appreciated.

Please and thanks.

RBSinTo

Come, sit, let’s chat…. 🙂 the people who have the 212s love them and the torri top is a real plus at that price point and probably the reason they can pull off a laminate that sounds so good.  If you have played one, it’s comfortable, you like the tone, and that’s your budget, go ahead, and I don’t think you’ll regret it.  

Just asking, have you done a deep dive into Taylor’s build info?  You can skip over this part if you have, but just to save time if you haven’t, the 21indicates it is a Grand Concert size guitar.  You can get that body size in other tonewood configurations, at different, price points.  

There is one build slightly smaller, yet still full-sized guitar, the GT.  We have a GT in the Urban Ash which is the first Taylor I ever heard that made me turn my head. The tone on that one is really nice, very balanced, and full in a smaller guitar.   Again they have made/make the GT in different tonewoods.  But I don’t know if they can do a cutaway version.  

An appointment I suggest checking out is the comfort beveled builds.  They make them with both a beveled bout and a beveled cutaway. I tried a 412ce with both bevels and it was the most comfortable guitar I ever played.   I think that one was mahogany. I still regret putting it back.  I went down the next day realizing I had made a mistake, and it was gone already.  

One thing, we’ve bought all our Taylors used (except the GT which was on clearance because the new model had come out with the electronics)  We have gotten some really good deals on models we never could have looked at new.  

Taylor does a lot of limited special builds, like their “builder’s editions” that can sport different tonewoods and appointments from the production runs and they can show up on the used market fairly regularly.  Those often sport the comfort/beveled edges.  

Because these one off lots are odd, we find places like GC when they get them in, don’t know how to price them, partly because the dating system is different so they can’t find them in a google. So they just set them off the price of the regular model, so they can be really good snags.  We scored one of our special, high end ones, for around 60% off, under 2k.  The 412ce was a BE and I think that one was under 1,000.  I remember thinking when I got home it was stupid of me not to pick it up at the price they were asking.  

Anyway, probably TMI, but don’t let the naysayers/Taylor dissers get to you. They really are good sounding guitars, easy playing guitars, and especially if you can find one used you get real bang for your buck.  I think one might be the answer to your current dilemma.  

54 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Come, sit, let’s chat…. 🙂 the people who have the 212s love them and the torri top is a real plus at that price point and probably the reason they can pull off a laminate that sounds so good.  If you have played one, it’s comfortable, you like the tone, and that’s your budget, go ahead, and I don’t think you’ll regret it.  

Just asking, have you done a deep dive into Taylor’s build info?  You can skip over this part if you have, but just to save time if you haven’t, the 21indicates it is a Grand Concert size guitar.  You can get that body size in other tonewood configurations, at different, price points.  

There is one build slightly smaller, yet still full-sized guitar, the GT.  We have a GT in the Urban Ash which is the first Taylor I ever heard that made me turn my head. The tone on that one is really nice, very balanced, and full in a smaller guitar.   Again they have made/make the GT in different tonewoods.  But I don’t know if they can do a cutaway version.  

An appointment I suggest checking out is the comfort beveled builds.  They make them with both a beveled bout and a beveled cutaway. I tried a 412ce with both bevels and it was the most comfortable guitar I ever played.   I think that one was mahogany. I still regret putting it back.  I went down the next day realizing I had made a mistake, and it was gone already.  

One thing, we’ve bought all our Taylors used (except the GT which was on clearance because the new model had come out with the electronics)  We have gotten some really good deals on models we never could have looked at new.  

Taylor does a lot of limited special builds, like their “builder’s editions” that can sport different tonewoods and appointments from the production runs and they can show up on the used market fairly regularly.  Those often sport the comfort/beveled edges.  

Because these one off lots are odd, we find places like GC when they get them in, don’t know how to price them, partly because the dating system is different so they can’t find them in a google. So they just set them off the price of the regular model, so they can be really good snags.  We scored one of our special, high end ones, for around 60% off, under 2k.  The 412ce was a BE and I think that one was under 1,000.  I remember thinking when I got home it was stupid of me not to pick it up at the price they were asking.  

Anyway, probably TMI, but don’t let the naysayers/Taylor dissers get to you. They really are good sounding guitars, easy playing guitars, and especially if you can find one used you get real bang for your buck.  I think one might be the answer to your current dilemma.  

PrairieDog,

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. 

The GT series doesn't appear to come in a cutaway version, so it's not an option.

And, living in Canada, GC  Taylor one-off bargains are not available to me.

Finally, two of my music buds, one being my teacher, have, use and love their Taylors,  which both play well and sound very good to me, and in the end it is my opinion that counts most, so the comments of those who don't like Taylors because they don't like Taylors are always discounted. The 212 ce seems to be the guitar of choice, and now it's just about making a go-no go decision.

Thanks again for your advice.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

PrairieDog,

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. 

The GT series doesn't appear to come in a cutaway version, so it's not an option.

And, living in Canada, GC  Taylor one-off bargains are not available to me.

Finally, two of my music buds, one being my teacher, have, use and love their Taylors,  which sound pretty good to me, and in the end it is my opinion that counts most, so the comments of those who don't like Taylors because they don't like Taylors are always discounted. The 212 ce seems to be the guitar of choice, and now it's just about making a go-no go decision.

Thanks again for your advice.

RBSinTo

Oops, sorry dude, I forgot you were my neighbor to the north.  From all this, yeah, I bet the 212 will work for you, assuming the tone meets your ear.  Do you know what models your teachers play?  The different builds/tonewood combinations really affect the sound.  TBH, I find the lower end models (100s and 200s) can have more of the Taylor bright “zing” that I am not fond of.  However, I do have some hearing issues that makes me more sensitive to trebles.  So  I’m probably hearing them differently than other folks.  And I don’t know if I’ve played one with the torrie top.  

And just to be sure, I didn’t mean to imply the comfort builds are only in the one-offs.  There are several standard builds with the bevels you could keep an eye out for.   

Let us know what you decide!  (Go for it…. 😈)

See all we need is only one thread here. We went from slagging Taylor to Fords to Leslie Speakers. Rule breaking and no punishment. One was done by a mod. Correction 2 were done by mods. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

It would probably be really funny to get all of us old farts in a room together & try to have a discussion about Guitar's! Guitars? Oh, I thought you said Cars! No, it’s a short drive to the Bars. Was that Thread by Larsongs or was it Lars? How far are the Bars? Who’s Car?

• Haha 2