Gibson Brands Forums

Will you lend it?

Gibson CS

Guys...

Im getting a few requests to "borrow" the Les Paul.

To me its a no brainer. NO!...its simple and to the point.

I feel bad because hes been a friend for years.

I baby my guitars. I admit it. I wouldnt be able to relax knowing someone

else was spending time with my baby.

I have let people play it while im right there in the room, but never to take

it and play a gig.

Am I wrong being stingy with my Paul?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem letting the other guitar player in my band play my LP or any of my other guitars, but I'd be very hesitant to lend any of my guitars out to someone to take on their own.

What I find more troublesome is when some guy from the audience asks to play a guitar during a break. First of all, they've usually been drinking so who knows what could happen but, more to the point, I'm there for a job and don't need anyone messing with my stuff where they might change some amp or pedal settings or knock the guitar out of tune. Plus, it's just plain unprofessional to have someone wanking away during a break.

I agree with RichCI about drunk tossers. I'm always being asked if I'll let them play my guitars during breaks or worse still, at the end of a gig. The answer, usually with a smile, is 'sorry mate'. Sometimes it gets to 'F*** Off, depending how drunk or persistent they are.

As for friends, hmm... tricky. I wouldn't lend a guitar unless it was my scratty old Washburn Wing that I use for lessons. It plays brilliantly, sounds great, was bought for next to nothing and has been 'pre-loved' to the extent that a few more chips and scratches won't matter. If that wasn't good enough I'd know they wanted to borrow a guitar for the pose.

I wonder how many friendships have survived a broken headstock?

I worry most about dings and scratches. As we all know, belt buckles, bracelets etc...

What happens when you get the guitar back?

"Sorry man, I must have scratched it by accident"

Im glad im not alone in this!

I'm also one to not let anyone play, hell, even TOUCH my guitars, if they wanna play one they can go buy one. And conversely, I don't play anyone's guitar, I don't want to be responsible if anything should happen to it. Although quite a few years back, I did use a neighbor's L6S for a while, first Gibson I ever played (1977).

I am one who was on the other end of that scenario. I have borrowed a friends guitars and amps for months and even years at a time.

I am like you I am fanatical about keeping my guitars pristine. He knows that and he says when he gets his guitars back from me they are in better shape than when he gave them to me. I usually give them a good cleaning, condition the rosewood necks and adjust anything that is out of whack. I have stored all of his gear at my place when he was going through a divorce and I still have his Vibrolux reverb.

On the other hand I have never given him one of mine, because he would never ask. He knows how fussy I am and if, god forbid he did nick it, he would never forgive himself and neither would I.

my les paul studio has seriousl been to hell and back

so if someone wanted to use that i would let them, as i dont think it can get more beat up then it already is

but id make em sign a contract saying they gotta replace lke a broken headstock or something

but no one plays my standard or doubleneck but me =D

my dad and I share guitars, but that's it. Keep it in the family!

Friends, never. They have "lent" them to me for repair and set-up etc, but never for using on stage or jams etc. Most of my buddies don't want to have anything to do with my guitars too, they know that if I ever messed one of theirs they'd expect retribution, so the same applies backwards.

Bar folk, never.

and the newbs who are learning... even really good friends... they need to learn how to respect a guitar as much as they do how to play it. If anybody has a problem with not being able to even touch my 3 years of saving up, working hard for prize guitar, well they can just go honk on bobo!!

I have a couple of friends that I've been in bands with for years I would not hesitate to loan them anything other than my main guitar. and honestly after years of playing in bars crap happens if it was scratched or god forbid damaged I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I have even loaned instruments to people doing recording in studios I record at when they need something different. I have some guitars I collect but most are players I feel bad if they don't get used and there voices should be heard by as many people as possible.

That said drunks in bars nope - period if your not a friend or musician don't even ask and I have no problem telling somebody that there a tool not a toy.

I do have two McPherson customs a Adirondack/Koa and one in BearClaw Sitka/Brazilian those even close friends and bandmates won't ask to use, and last but not least nobody gets to borrow a harmonica or a sax

Seriously, though, I made that mistake one time and will not do it again. The result: a headstock break on my 1967 Martin D-28. I still have the guitar, the repair is still holding after over 25 years, and every time my thumb touches the volute on the back of the neck it reminds me to not lend my guitars!

honestly after years of playing in bars crap happens if it was scratched or god forbid damaged I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Damaged (like the wood gets seriously gouged or worse) would bother me quite a bit but I hear you - guitars are meant to be played and sometimes they get a little scuffed up, especially playing in rock bands at bars; it just goes with the territory. Some guys are into collecting guitars and sticking them in glass cases to admire and that's cool if that's what they're into; I buy them to play them and playing causes wear. That doesn't mean that I don't take good care of my instruments (and I just don't buy into that whole relicing thing just to own a beat up guitar so I can look like I have experience or street cred or whatever), just that I don't place them on pedestals as objects of adoration; they're for making music and rock and roll is a contact sport. I just don't want somebody else messing them up; if I do it, it's one thing but if somebody else does it, it's another.

Archived