Gibson Brands Forums

Yusuf Islam

Homz

As Cat Stevens, he has sold over 60 million albums around the world since the late 1960s. His albums Tea for the Tillerman and Teaser and the Firecat were both certified as Triple Platinum by the RIAA in the United States; his album Catch Bull at Four sold half a million copies in the first two weeks of release alone, and was Billboard's number-one LP for three consecutive weeks. He has also earned two ASCAP songwriting awards in consecutive years, for "The First Cut Is the Deepest", which has been a hit single for four different artists.

Stevens converted to Islam at the height of his fame in December, 1977, and adopted his Muslim name, Yusuf Islam, the following year. In 1979 he auctioned all his guitars away for charity and left his music career to devote himself to educational and philanthropic causes in the Muslim community. He has been given several awards for his work in promoting peace in the world, including 2003's World Award, the 2004 Man for Peace Award and the 2007 Mediterranean Prize for Peace. In 2006, he returned to pop music, with his first album of new pop songs in 28 years, entitled An Other Cup. He now goes by the single name Yusuf.

He currently lives with his wife and children in London, and spends part of each year in Dubai.

His newest album, Roadsinger, was released on May 5, 2009.

The above information was posted simply to inform. I am making no political or religious point and thus do not warrant being called a hypocrite by RogerGLewis. The source.

I take it this isn't just a Thread about Cat Stevens. Does this have something to do with that locked thread and the "CENSORED" avatar?

Anyway, Cat Stevens, to me, has been one of those artists that either write a Great Song of a Lame Song. All of Teaser and the Fire Cat was great. Great Lyrics, Nice Melody, Some Heavy Riffing (Changes IV), and really pleasant finger picking. From the little I've heard of the new one, I think I'm gonna like it.

He has a Poor Taste in names, however. Cat and Yusuf?

He said he was on vacation once and in the ocean when a rip tide pulled him out. He cried out, " God, if you save me, I'll work for you". He said he then felt a force pull him back to shore. Later he converted to Islam

Just saw an interview with him in "Interview" magazine. It was an interesting read. Claims he's be listening to a lot of G. Harrison lately, and recorded a version of "All Things Must Pass" for a recent project he participated in.

FWIW I liked a few of his songs back in the day, "Wild World" in particular, though I've never been a big fan of his. Though his spiritual awakening has changed his life and attitude toward music, it's left me largely indifferent.

I'm not particularly interested in the trials and tribulations of "stars" -- I got my own!

Actually' date=' we were just watching Cat Stevens on The Colbert Report. That's the point. I think he forgot to mention that.[/quote']

<-------------Hoists a double Cuervo in your honor (what little you have left J/K) on a Friday night!

Not to derail, but WELCOME back hon. Missed ya.

He said he was on vacation once and in the ocean when a rip tide pulled him out. He cried out' date=' " God, if you save me, I'll work for you". He said he then felt a force pull him back to shore. Later he converted to Islam[/quote']

Same thing happened to my father some years ago. He thought Oh sh***** and he was spat out on the beach.

There was nothing wrong with the name Cat Stevens. Don't understand all this stupid name changing all the time. People knew him as Cat. He should have just kept the frickin name. Anyone who does that is a goofball to me and I'm not gonna bother digging into their life. Not to be a buzzkill, I just get sick of goofy stuff like that. Sorry

He said he was on vacation once and in the ocean when a rip tide pulled him out. He cried out' date=' " God, if you save me, I'll work for you". He said he then felt a force pull him back to shore. Later he converted to Islam[/quote']

Amazing how often this happens, huh?

Near death experiences tend to turn Cats into a number of different religious conversions.

Still like the music though.

...I've never been a big fan of his.

Though his spiritual awakening has changed his life and attitude toward music' date=' it's left me largely indifferent.

I'm not particularly interested in the trials and tribulations of "stars" -- I got my own![/quote']

I have nothing to add to the thread, this post spoke for me entirely.

Wild World was the only song of his I'll even bother to listen to, though I can see where his music is well-liked.

The conversion to Islam ensured I'll never bother to buy any of his stuff.

That's odd. Do you really base your music purchases on the musician's/group's religion? If so, why?

Frankly, I'd feel the same about the man whatever religion he practiced/converted to. His personal religious beliefs, like those of any other musicians I listen to, writers I read, artists I appreciate, etc., are immaterial to me. I don't go to them for spiritual guidance but for their work. As I've posted before, if their work becomes an advertisement for their beliefs, then I'd probably just tune it out. I know where to go for that info if I want it.

That's odd. Do you really base your music purchases on the musician's/group's religion? If so' date=' why?

Frankly, I'd feel the same about the man whatever religion he practiced/converted to. His personal religious beliefs, like those of any other musicians I listen to, writers I read, artists I appreciate, etc., are immaterial to me. I don't go to them for spiritual guidance but for their work. As I've posted before, if their work becomes an advertisement for their beliefs, then I'd probably just tune it out. I know where to go for that info if I want it.[/quote']

You don't know Neo to well do you ? :-$

I have nothing to add to the thread' date=' this post spoke for me entirely.

Wild World was the only song of his I'll even bother to listen to, though I can see where his music is well-liked.

[/quote']

so, should I decide to become a Muslim you would no longer like me.

I think I shall cry.:-$

I'm guessing that many of you are not aware that "Yusuf", newly conerted to islam, was one of the few public figures who backed the muslims who were calling for the head of Salman Rushdi.

He is a writer who published a book (The Satanic Verses) that involved the muslim religion, back in 1988. The musims hit the roof, and there was a million dollar reward for his murder.

I've considered "Yusuf" to be a huge scumbag ever since then. I wouldn't give a hoot if he wrote the best music ever recorded in the history of mankind, I'd never spend a dime on it.

You don't know Neo to well do you ? :-$

Heh' date=' heh, heh.....

:-)

I do not base my music purchases on the musician's/group's religion in any way.

I agreed with Jayla simply for the fact that their personal lives should remain as such.

You want me to buy your music? Shaddup and play yer guitar - to paraphrase Frank Zappa.

I think Stevens did it right, leaving the music business behind and dropping completely out of sight.

His income from it was substantial, he was able to live as he wanted and donate his money and efforts as he wanted.

Bravo!

Only recently did he begin to perform in public again, and I did not fault him in any way until now.

He's gonna whip out all those oldies and favorites for another ride on the gravy train?

Let's see him shed the "Religion Of Peace" first, or at least speak out boldly against the terrorists in the fold with him.

Until then, he's trying to have it both ways and I ain't going for it.

Not a penny of MY money will go ANYWHERE NEAR Fundamentalist Muslims, and [b']he's complicit[/b] if not actively opposed.

As a Christian, I will not for a second defend Fundamentalist Christian idiots who pick up snakes, eat glass and cyanide, force children into marriage or encourage followers to 'drop out' and bring all their money with them.

Branch Davidians, Jim Jones, most TV preachers (even MY old one is on the tube now) and a few of the people I attend church with are simply way too far out and fruity to be legitimate in any way.

I'll stand up - in my own church if need be - and denounce them in a heartbeat.

As Jayla stated, I don't go to musicians for spiritual guidance, but for their work.

As Mick can quickly point out to you, if their work becomes an advertisement for their beliefs I will tune it out in a hurry.

Like many of you, I know where to go for that.

A message in your music is cool, as long as there's no pretense or ulterior motive.

Cashing in is the same as selling out.

I was really inspired when I read this little nugget about Dinah Washington last year;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinah_Washington

Washington refused to record gospel music despite her obvious talent in singing it. She believed it wrong to mix the secular and the spiritual, and after she had entered the non-religious professional music world she refused to include gospel in her repertoire.

Aretha Franklin wants a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T?

Kiss my butt, mine will go to Dinah....

I tried out for our church band a few year ago and got a slot playing guitar, but I just never clicked with it.

I don't like the bouncy pop sound of progressive Christian music and the songs do nothing for me.

I'll go to church for the message when I can, and rock out on guitar when I can - they will not mix.

Good luck to Cat IsLame Stevens, for you fans of his I hope his work pleases you.

I'll pass.

Archived