Gibson Brands Forums

what will save rock and roll?

mr newhaven

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/05/20/van.zandt.save.rock/index.html

verrrrry interesting article i just read on CNN...

youre thoughts???

ill debate but would like someone else to find a point to start from!

First, invest in rock music and artist in a long term fashion like they used to. Artists used to be able to develop. Nowadays they have to have an instant hit or they get tossed aside. Or if they dont produce another hit instantly. Second, artists need to insist that record companies not pressure them to pump a full album out quickly just because they have 2 great songs all ready. This is how you come up with all that dreaded "filler" crap on so many albums. Third, try to get the "for profit" part out of music as much as possible. Make it what music should be about, quality not dollars. If you concentrate on trimming the fat and keeping the quality up, the dollars will come. Instead what yo uget nowadays is a bunch of music marketing firms who take a big lump of horse turd, wrap it in nice paper and a pretty bow then present it to you. When you open it up its still a lump of horse turd. Less money on marketing, more money on getting (and retaining) good artists.

nice BOL316

i agree pretty much with everything you said!

...dont piss on my head and tell me its raining!

haha

im tired of mass produced factory pop!

im tired of contrived rock bands...where members dont meet in high school or college and are introduced by A and R people!

im tired of the lack of local rock on the radio...CT finally has an alternative rock station again...and sometimes i want to hear more than old Weezer songs...even though i love Weezer!

people are afraid to put out truly unique music now because unless you have the backing of a label...you'll never get play...or if you by chance put out a song that sounds great...Apple will put it in a commercial and suddenly your pigeon-held into being the band from the apple commercial...the hills soundtrack...MTV's Real World Road Rules Challenge crap instead of the band that you have worked so hard to become...

and why cant i just watch music videos anymore!

im tired of annoyig 14 year olds trying to turn themselves into wrestlers or whatever hell else crap they put on MTV now...booooo to the commercialization of rock...boooo i say!

I read a article on CNN and even though real musicians really do not like Rock Band and Gtr Hero these games have given new life to those older songs and have helped with bringing Rock and some Classic groups back to the fore front of music.

heres the thing about those games...

sure they are fun and sure people are exposed to that kind of music...

but then what are they doing with it?

covering it at all?

nope...

using it as a stepping stone for greater music...thats debatable...

so what may i ask are they doing?

just putting it down on their facebook profiles for more music cred...if you ask me..

aka...nothing!

Well, I don't know...some of the MTV "stars" weren't THAT good looking! "Devo," etc.

BUT, there is some truth to that, I think. GREED, before music, is STILL killing it, or

trying, anyway. When (IF) it ever gets back to being about the music FIRST, and all

the other stuff, later...maybe that would help? I don't know...R&R seems to die and

reinvent itself, over and over. It's just that some of the "inventions," may not be in

the best interest of the overall? LOL! Who knows?! I DO like the fact, that the Internet

has allowed a lot more access, to a LOT more (diverse) music, than the Record Industry

would have you believe is "worthwhile!" But, there's more "s..." to deal with, as well.

So...???

CB

I think the question should be, "Who will save rock-n-roll?"

Some band will come around a put it back on the charts. It's only a matter of time.

Happens over and over again.

Guns and Roses, Nirvana, Radio Head countless bands have made a contribution to "Saving" rock.

It's going to happen. Just a question of when.

Maybe someone on this forum.

A lot of folks ain't gonna like this answer.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band are going to save Rock and Roll. I've noticed a heightened appreciation for Rock and guitar based music since the introduction of those Video Games. I've noticed the beginning of a shift away from Hip Hop and Techno on the Video Channels lately, too. Just Check our Fuse, they are a little more Hip than MTV, and they play a lot of Newer Rock and Metal. It might not be Kansas and Jethro Tull, but it's definitely more Guitar that 10 years ago.

A lot of folks ain't gonna like this answer.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band are going to save Rock and Roll. I've noticed a heightened appreciation for Rock and guitar based music since the introduction of those Video Games. I've noticed the beginning of a shift away from Hip Hop and Techno on the Video Channels lately' date=' too. Just Check our Fuse, they are a little more Hip than MTV, and they play a lot of Newer Rock and Metal. It might not be Kansas and Jethro Tull, but it's definitely more Guitar that 10 years ago.[/quote']

+1

I agree.

I'm working real hard to save rock and roll but I can't do it on my own.

Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for the heavy metal grammy?
A HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! I thought it was Def Leppard. But ya either way that is lame! Proof that fans have nothing to do with these "awards"

Me and JesseNoah have been trying to save our town from the tyranny of emo/scremo music. We have 11 solid orginals and some obscure led zepplin songs never released.

We are hoping that our newer sound and playing ability, mixed with legendart gear, looks, and crowd interactions will save our town.

We sound similar to

Led Zeppelin

Rush

Pink Floyd

UFO

YardBirds

*nothing wrong with emo/scremo music but thats all there is, we need variation

Homz & I were just talking a few days ago about how the record companies have done their best to kill rock. But now that I think about it, they have a long history of doing what they're doing now--something works so make more just like it. How many bands in the 50's all sounded alike? Or the 80s hair metal? Sometimes I have trouble knowing when one song ends and another comes on.

And here's the perfect example of the mass-production formulaic "music...."

Me and JesseNoah have been trying to save our town from the tyranny of emo/scremo music. We have 11 solid orginals and some obscure led zepplin songs never released.

We are hoping that our newer sound and playing ability' date=' mixed with legendart gear, looks, and crowd interactions will save our town.

We sound similar to

Led Zeppelin

Rush

Pink Floyd

UFO

YardBirds

[i']*nothing wrong with emo/scremo music but thats all there is, we need variation[/i]

Cool. I didn't know anyone under 40 had heard of UFO.

First' date=' invest in rock music and artist in a long term fashion like they used to. Artists used to be able to develop. Nowadays they have to have an instant hit or they get tossed aside. Or if they dont produce another hit instantly. Second, artists need to insist that record companies not pressure them to pump a full album out quickly just because they have 2 great songs all ready. This is how you come up with all that dreaded "filler" crap on so many albums. Third, try to get the "for profit" part out of music as much as possible. Make it what music should be about, quality not dollars. If you concentrate on trimming the fat and keeping the quality up, the dollars will come. Instead what yo uget nowadays is a bunch of music marketing firms who take a big lump of horse turd, wrap it in nice paper and a pretty bow then present it to you. When you open it up its still a lump of horse turd. Less money on marketing, more money on getting (and retaining) good artists.

[/quote']

;) #-o #-o 100% right on.

Rock n Roll will never be like it used to be. Musical tastes are getting more narrow and deep. For example, back in the good old days, just about everyone could agree that Led Zeppelin was a great band. Now, there are tons of different genres and sub-genres. I think that is partially a result of the information age we live in. People have access to any kind of music that they want. -That's a good thing, and also a bad thing. There are also more bands now than ever. Devices like iPods turn music into commodity rather than a collection. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPod, but I know people that just want to fill up that 120 gigs of space. -They don't even know some of the bands that are on their iPods. They just download, or borrow someone's portable hard drive and dump all the music into their computer. Technology has leveled the playing field between independent artists and stars. However, I think it is also partially responsible for making it difficult a great rock band to emerge. I think it can happen, but it will probably be a result of DIY efforts, and not the music industry. They're just worried about making money.

:-kO:)=D> 100% right on.

Rock n Roll will never be like it used to be. They're just worried about making money.

Snipped the middle cause this was what I wanted to respond to specifically. We were in the car going to Indianapolis a few days ago and a song by The Doors came on the radio. My comment to Homz was that a band like The Doors would probably never get signed today. Their sound was too "different" and too risky for a record company only interested in money.

Now if Led Zeppelin came along today, they might get a contract. They had a good enough look for MTV and they constantly sing about sex, drugs, & rock 'n roll. But someone like Neil Young probably wouldn't even get his calls returned.

And probably both Zep and Neil would be passed over in favor of some band formed by winning a competition on VH1.

Homz & I were just talking a few days ago about how the record companies have done their best to kill rock. But now that I think about it' date=' they have a long history of doing what they're doing now--something works so make more just like it. How many bands in the 50's all sounded alike? Or the 80s hair metal? Sometimes I have trouble knowing when one song ends and another comes on.

And here's the perfect example of the mass-production formulaic "music...."

[/quote']

I steadfastly believe that the death of the Glam (Hair) Metal Bands of the 80s was the ballad. Every record company required their bands to do ballads. Certain death for any hair band.

Archived