Gibson Brands Forums

Obama changes his mind - AGAIN!

NeoConMan

The Liberals are getting PISSED!

:-

White House: Closing Gitmo a 'Hasty Decision'

By David Paul Kuhn

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said closing the detention center at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, was a “hasty decision,” in his daily press briefing with reporters.

President Obama’s decision to close the controversial detention center in the early days of his presidency was met with adulation on the political left and earned headlines in newspapers across the world. It was seen as a clear break from Bush-era national security policy.

But recently Obama has irked many liberals with his decision to continue Bush-era military commissions to try Guantanamo Bay prisoners and his decision not to release photographs allegedly depicting U.S. soldiers abusing detainees in Afghanistan and Iraq. To an extent, this break with the political left is indicative of the difference between campaigning and governing.

Gibbs' comment appears to affirm some White House critics who argued that closing Guantanamo Bay was a policy shift easier said than done.

The White House comment comes on the eve of a major national security speech by Obama. Obama is expected to address, in part, Senate Democrats' opposition to funding the closure of Gitmo. Democrats have withheld funding closure until the White House offers a clear plan on how the detention center will be shut down and importantly, where detainees will be sent.

The closure of Guantanamo Bay has quickly turned into a "not in my backyard" issue. No U.S. representative wants to explain why a Gitmo detainee was allowed to live in his or her district. In the same vein, Obama has found U.S. allies no more willing to accept detainees. France and Britain each accepted one former detainee. There are about 240 detainees at Guantánamo Bay and 30 are clear for release.

David Paul Kuhn is the Chief Political Correspondent for RealClearPolitics and the author of The Neglected Voter. He can be reached at david@realclearpolitics.com

For the challanger, being president is balck and white, my way or the highway kind of thing but once they get in office reality sets in. Be nice if they understood the complexities going in. Or at least admitted to not knowing.

And you knew Gitmo was going to go that way becasue saying you're going to close it is all well and good but those pesky details like what is the plan to deal with the detainess or, should it really be closed or do we really need it .. stuff he never talked about.

Just like when Bush invaded Iraq. Had the paln to go in but no plan for getting out. Everybody knew it too.

Wait that's all I can take I can't take anymore. A politician changing his mind. It's the end of the universe. Oh my god. the humanity of it. It's the end of the world as we know it.

Oh Canada, is it to late for me to come running. I bet your politicians never change their minds.

Satire.

I've said from the beginning Obama would pi$$ us liberals off more then he would the right wing nut jobs. The problem is that the liberals will know it's happening and rightys wont have clue. They actually still think Bill Clinton was a liberal. I think Clinton was the best Republican president since Lincoln.

... I think Clinton was the best Republican president since Lincoln.

Bubba might not have been a republican, but he sure was more of a centrist that Barry is. Bill knew how to triangulate, he had to with a republican congress during part of his term...There is no telling how left Bill could have been with a friendly congress and no Lewinski problem. My .02

I'll let you know whether he closed it or not come 2012. Micro analyzing every little decision, superimposing imaginary time lines, and calling it a Broken Promise just doesn't stick.

Honestly, I never thought they should close it, just stop stacking up naked prisoners. But since I voted for him exclusively for Economic Policy, I could care less if he fails to close Guantanimo. Now if we're still in Iraq with no exit strategy in 2012, he'll have a lot of 'splainin' to do.

Honestly' date=' I never thought they should close it, just stop stacking up naked prisoners. But since I voted for him exclusively for Economic Policy, I could care less if he fails to close Guantanimo. Now if we're still in Iraq with no exit strategy in 2012, he'll have a lot of 'splainin' to do.[/quote']

I have to agree with you on this because I voted for Obama because of his economic plan and partially because I thought he had a better plan for the environmental issues. While I'm young, I still feel the effects of the economy since I lost my father in February of 2008. He started and owned a screw machine company that made small auto parts for automotive companies. After he passed it was left up to my mom and the plant manager. We all know how the automotive industry is doing. At one point this year the company went from 15 people running the shop to just my mom and the plant manager because the amount of work diminished greatly and could not afford to pay everyone. I'm also a student in college at a college with a $40k-a-year tuition.

Closing Gitmo doesn't really matter a whole deal to me, but I'm still wondering about that exit strategy.

I have to agree with you on this because I voted for Obama because of his economic plan and partially because I thought he had a better plan for the environmental issues. While I'm young' date=' I still feel the effects of the economy since I lost my father in February of 2008. He started and owned a screw machine company that made small auto parts for automotive companies. After he passed it was left up to my mom and the plant manager. We all know how the automotive industry is doing. At one point this year the company went from 15 people running the shop to just my mom and the plant manager because the amount of work diminished greatly and could not afford to pay everyone. I'm also a student in college at a college with a $40k-a-year tuition.

Closing Gitmo doesn't really matter a whole deal to me, but I'm still wondering about that exit strategy. [/quote']

You certainly have a lot on your plate for so young. It's pretty impressive that you can juggle all that and find time to play yer guitar. You just might be an early success story without a chapter about a Mid Life Crisis. My hat's off to you.

Honestly' date=' I never thought they should close it, just stop stacking up naked prisoners. [/quote']

Naked prisoners?

At Gitmo?

When did THIS happen?

But since I voted for him exclusively for Economic Policy' date='[/quote']

Jeez....

How's THAT working for ya?

Hope and Change became scrounging for change in your sofa cushions.

After Crisis and Catastrophe, what else do you want from him?

Now if we're still in Iraq with no exit strategy in 2012' date=' he'll have a lot of 'splainin' to do. [/quote']

He's using the same policies he inherited from the Bush administration - business as usual.

Can't lose that way....

Hi Neo, Glad to hear the news of your banishment was greatly exaggerated. :-)

Right, Abu Grhaib. Anyway, I never felt the problem was where the prison was, but what we were doing. Here's a question I can't seem to find an answer to, Is Gitmo the only High Security Military Prison we have that's outside the U.S.?

I'll let you know at the end of the summer how the economy is doing.

Hi Neo' date=' Glad to hear the news of your banishment was greatly exaggerated.[/quote']

:-)

Right' date=' Abu Grhaib. Anyway, I never felt the problem was where the prison was, but what we were doing. Here's a question I can't seem to find an answer to, Is Gitmo the only High Security Military Prison we have that's outside the U.S.?[/quote']

Doubt it. Of course we can detain people pretty much anywhere we go.

And what's wrong with detaining people who tried to kill our military men?

Think of the alternative, if I'm in a uniform and you shoot at me - I'm gonna KILL you.

These men survived.

If they are no longer a danger, they can be released.

60 Gitmo guys were found on the battlefield AGAIN after they were released.

That's a recidivism rate I can live without, here in the US it would get a parole board shut down completely.

I'm a Take No Prisoners kind of guy myself....

You certainly have a lot on your plate for so young. It's pretty impressive that you can juggle all that and find time to play yer guitar. You just might be an early success story without a chapter about a Mid Life Crisis. My hat's off to you.

To be honest with you, playing my guitar is the only thing that got me through any of it. Playing shows with my band and constantly writing helped the healing process immensely.

Archived